Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nakisa OrgChart 4.1, and support for IE11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

First some details about our environments:

Current Nakisa version: Nakisa OrgChart 3.0 SP1. Clients use browser IE9.

We are thinking of upgrading to OrgChart 4.0 SP1 but we have some concerns regarding the support of IE 11. I went throught the documentation provided by Nakisa, and it does seem like the latest support IE is v10?

Can the community help me figure out if the support for IE11 is effective or planned? If not 100 % effective, what is the recommended approach/workaround to make it work?

Thanks

M.E.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor

Matthew.

I've had a few discussions with Nakisa about MSIE version compatibility recently.

The official situation is currently (based on v30 of the compatibility matrix) is that OrgChart 4.0 SP1 and OrgChart 4.1 support MSIE 7, 8 and 9.  There is an additional note against 4.1 that says that "applications can be supported on request via co-development approach".

I contacted Nakisa about what this actually meant in practical terms.  The response I got to the effect that MSIE10 compatibility is on their roadmap but is not yet complete and that if a client needed it then the priority could be raised, but it would be pushed through as billable work.  They also said that they expect to support MSIE10 in a release later this year.

We've had a couple of clients experimenting and working with MSIE10 and OrgChart 4.0 SP1.  Neither has completed their testing to go live just yet, but one has had a few styling issues and the other has had no issues.  My observations suggest that the issues experienced may be related more to the implementation of MSIE10 at that client since the function with the issue has not been customised and the other client has had no issues.  But they are on slightly different build versions (now) so it may be that the later build was tweaked for better compatibility.

When I first spoke to Nakisa about MSIE10 we agreed that compatibility mode would likely be required for MSIE10 to work properly, but in all honesty I didn't notice any difference in how it rendered for either of the clients above.

So where does this put MSIE11?  Well to be honest I'm not sure.  If MSIE10 is on the roadmap and included in the latest compatibility matrix, but MSIE11 isn't then I'm not even sure it is on Nakisa's road map just yet.  However I think it is quite likely that any adjustments for MSIE10 would probably transpose quite well for MSIE11, so if a co-development option is officially on the table for MSIE10, I wouldn't imagine that extending that to MSIE11 would be out of the question.  After all they will need to support it sooner or later.  That being said, it may well be that running MSIE11 you may not experience any issues with the latest version of OrgChart (based on my observations with MSIE10) and if you did, forcing compatibility mode for OrgChart use could well mitigate any issues.

A couple of things I think worthy of highlighting at this point are:

1. You suggested upgrading to 4.0 SP1.  I would suggest going for 4.1 as this is the version under active development and is probably the only one for which you might get compatibility support.
  2. The compatibility matrix explicitly notes that AdminConsole is not supported on MSIE10.  I also queried this with Nakisa.  They again said that the hope to have MSIE10 support for AdminConsole available in a build later this year.  Whether or not this will occur at the same time as the end user interface (given they are currently out of step) is a bit of a guess at the moment.  So even if the end user interface gets support you may need to have an older version available for admin until support for MSIE10 in AdminConsole is available (and is applied to your system).

So in summary I think you may want to consider...

1. Going with OrgChart 4.1 rather than 4.0 SP1.
  2. Contacting Nakisa about co-development options for MSIE10/11.
  3. Discussing user interface + AdminConsole compatibility vs. keeping a copy of MSIE9 available for admin work + Nakisa giving parity via their own time scales.

I hope at least some of the above is useful in helping you make some decisions.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephen, for your very detailed and helpful input. I will take this question to Nakisa and keep you posted.

Thanks!

M.E.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

An informal notification about the Nakisa plans related to IE 10 and 11 support.  Once the SP is released via Service MarketPlace, I'll add the official info to this thread.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Nakisa is scheduled to release a Service Pack 1
update to SAP® Organizational Visualization by Nakisa® (SOVN) 4.1 and SAP®
Talent Visualization by Nakisa® (STVN) 4.1.  This service pack will
contain a collection of fixes to the initial release.  In addition to the
fixes included, this update will address compatibility issues (for the
application only) with Internet Explorer 10 and 11 when running the application
in the browser’s compatibility mode.  With 4.1 SP1, if customers opt to
use either of these browsers, the Nakisa application will automatically detect
this and switch into this mode. The pre-requisite for this update will require
a prior implementation of 4.1 before Service Pack 1 can be applied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

one more point - the SP should be available mid to late June, depending on the testing cycles with SAP.

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great to hear.  Thanks for the update Andrew

Answers (0)