cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the import function in Power Designer limited during the trial?

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm trying to use the PowerDesigner trial to replace Visio. I can't bring the Visio files into Power Designer for a few reasons. Is there a limit to the software on in the PowerDesigner trial? Is importing Visio documents something that was solved with later patches?

Here are some stills to cover some of the things I've been noticing.             

Navigation: ModelTools-> Resources -> Impact And Lineage Analysis Rule Set

SAP Sybase PowerDesigner 16.5 Enterprise
Demo – which has no ability to import Visio Document with Meta Data as previous
versions of PowerDesigner.

MS Visio 2010  - which has no addin
available in the Sybase PowerDesigner install directory to export Visio
Documents with Meta Data, as described in the  PowerDesigner
Documentation.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A) You can Import Visio as document as a complete set (file) and put the document on any diagram

B) You speak about Impact and Lineage with PowerDesigner Tool and About Visio Import Problem I doesn't understand the relationship between ?

Navigation: ModelTools-> Resources -> Impact And Lineage Analysis Rule Set

Do you want Import Visio content as MetaData (each objects) into PowerDesigner ?

0 Kudos

I installed the latest MS Visio trial version and managed to export different Visio models into Power Designer. So the answer is: No, with the Visio trial version (I am not writting about PD)  the import is not limited. But I have one exception, where I also need help: Event Process Chains Diagrams (ARIS) are not possible. This fact is not consistent with PD documentation which states that EPC models are supported by the Add-in function (please, see the snapshot).

All trials are ended with the following message:

If someone knows - why EPCs are excluded from this function I will appreciate any kind of hint.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not see the EPC itself being the issue here.  It seems we have found an exception when we try and create the PowerDesigner file from Visio - have you tried other EPC diagrams from Visio?  Is this issue limited to just one EPC diagram or several?  It could also be an issue with the stencil used, we use the stencil to try and define what drawing elements should become what metaclass in PowerDesigner.

If possible, you can share the EPC with me and I can try and reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos

Hi David, thank you for your answer. In my case even test EPC created by myself made the same result. I will send a sample to you by e-mail. Let us try to make short research on it.