cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports does not load aspnet_client files to proper IISExpress directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are working with Visual Studio 2013 and the latest SP 9 of the SDK.  I noticed on install, the aspnet_client files are still installed in c:\inetpub\wwwroot.  However, IISExpress in VS 2013 looks in <user>\Documents\WebSites\<SiteName> for it's global files (i.e. aspnet_client).  Upon trying to view a report, the viewer then of course choked on ol' "bobj" as the files were not where it was looking.

The solution I suppose would be to copy the aspnet_client folder into each website we create, which obviously is not ideal compared to how 2010 worked (one central location in wwwroot).

Any ideas on how to have only one instance of aspnet_client?  Redirect IIS Express to look where Crystal Reports installs the global files?

Thanks,

Chad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Chad,

This is normal behaviour for CR. We always assume the default is in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot folder. For "Custom" applications the norm is to simply copy the whole folder into your web sites default location from this folder:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13

I'll mention it to R&D to see if they can alter the install scripts to use the user default but likely this will be by design.

The installer supports VS 2010, 2012 and 2013. Microsoft keeps changing the rules for IISExpress, possibly this one got by....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don.

The problem as we see it is that VS 2013 creates a new project folder under Websites for each project you work on.  It's under this specific Project folder where the Crystal Report Viewer files have to go.  So to be honest, I don't even think an install script could handle this since the files need to be copied to a project specific subfolder for IISExpress to recognize them.

The only way I guess is to try and change the IISExpress global home folder (back to wwwroot), which is not easy to do...

Unless I'm missing something.  Is anyone else have this problem with Visual Studio 2013?  Is there another local development webserver we can use?  I have not found anyone else in the same boat as us.

Thanks,

Chad

0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem and do not know how to solve. when I put the aspnet_cliente folder in my Project continues breaking the application..

which solution to solve this????

Tanks
André Martins - Taskyla.

0 Kudos

I solved this problem so as follows:
1 - I downloaded then new version SP9 - today.
2 I added in web.config <add key= "vs:EnableBrowserLink" value ="false"></add>

After It Worked Perfectly!!!

Thanks Don and Chad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Andre (and Don and Chad),

When you say it worked perfectly, does that mean you got it to work with IISExpress?  I have SP9, and even with that web.config entry, I still couldn't use IISExpress (and had to install IIS instead).

Also (and I guess this is for anyone that can answer), where did you discover that web.config entry?  I'm using Visual Studio 2013 and SP9 - and was trying to use the Crystal Report Viewer through ASP.NET (not a WinForms project).  I was getting some nasty Javascript Exceptions from 'browserlink' source.  I used that web.config entry and it went away.  If it wasn't for this thread, I'd be stuck.

EDIT: Also, in a previous question to this board, this was mentioned:

There are issues with Cassini in VS 2012 also, it's the inProc IIS server for testing within the VS IDE only. MS renamed it to IISExpress but it doesn't work, we are working with MS to resolve the issues. You can use legacy mode for it though and it does work. Search the fixed issues in SP 6 and above to find out the kbase articles.

What's legacy mode?  And how do you set it?

0 Kudos

Hello William!
I copied the folder and put aspnet_cliente within my development package, because IISExpress not see the folder (inetput/wwwroot/aspnet_client)

in web.config, I put in.
<appSettings>
       <dd key="vs:EnableBrowserLink" value="false"/>

</ appSettings>
was occurring because many javascritp erros.
was the only way I get to work with VS2013 and Crystal Reports SP9.

Thanks William....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks Andre. And Hello!

What I was asking was where you found that EnableBrowserLink entry.  I know where to put it, and I now know it exists.  But how did you discover that entry to know to put it in your web.config?  What article or link did you find that told you that?

Also, what do you mean by "my development package".  So when you copied aspnet_client to "my development package", where is or what is "my development package"?

Thanks, and have a good day!

0 Kudos

I have never worked with IIS Express, and found the solution of javascript erros in these website:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19604786/telerik-display-problems-in-iis-express
http://www.asp.net/visual-sutdio/overview/2013/using-broser-link
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2013/06/28/browser-link-feature-in-visual-studio-preview-2013...

I copied the aspnet_client folder into the solution.

Now it's 23:25 in Brazil. I will to sleep now. you have a nice day.

Answers (0)