cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workflow time limit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I`m new in workflow and I want to know if exists risks if I want to make an workflow that can exists between one month to one year.

In my workflow are between 3 to 6 validators and some item task can wait for an date time that can be over two month before goes to the next step.

My situation for workflow instance in the same time are:

- 300 workflow instance  that can execute in  two week.

- 0  tot 200 workflow instance that can execute between one month to one year.

Are problems that can apear?

- like time out( exist a limit for an wait task item)

- what happend if some workflow are in progress and I put a new version of workflow.(existing instance continue with old version or with new version?)

- what other problem can apper?      

In this situation can you sugest some trick and tips.

thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Teodor,

I guess this is not for regular creation/update rather something like risk data review of Vendors or compliance related data maintenance.

Please find my comments below your queries -

In my workflow are between 3 to 6 validators and some item task can wait for an date time that can be over two month before goes to the next step.

This is possible and viable.

My situation for workflow instance in the same time are:

- 300 workflow instance  that can execute in  two week.

- 0  tot 200 workflow instance that can execute between one month to one year.

Here in WF which can execute within 2 weeks you should define a different process so as to differentiate b/w the faster and slower WFs.This would help in easier tracking and better maintenance.

Are problems that can apear?

- like time out( exist a limit for an wait task item)

As mentioned above this can be handled better if you have different strand of WF for faster process and different for slower process.This would help in maintenance and easier tracking of jobs.

- what happend if some workflow are in progress and I put a new version of workflow.(existing instance continue with old version or with new version?)

If there is a change in meta data the job can go in error.To mitigate this the WF should be made as modular as possible.e.g. use of lookup values for bifurcation or logical comparison rather than field values,restricting data model changes,less field dependent and more data dependent WF.

Modular WF also ensures that if a WF goes in error the data loss is minimised by reverting to last Approved step.

- what other problem can apper?     

Error is jobs.

Jobs getting stuck.

Technical error in WF and complex troubleshooting.

Change in user leading to delegation of task.

Data loss etc.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi,  your answer help my much.

Answers (0)