cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration of .unx Universe in MS Excel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i have the following Problem. I use Webi reports based on a .unx Universe which are build up on a relational connection. The database is a Oracle database which is used by the MES-System. On the one hand the employees use the Webi reports to analyze/report production data, on the other hand they want a Office 365 (Excel) integration of the .unx Universe.

1) The first way i want to go is SAP BusinessObjects Live Office, but it don't support .unx Universes.

2) The SAP BusinessObjects Analysis, edition for Microsoft Office don't support Universes, too.

3) The third way is the Query as a webservice tool and the Add-on Infopath from Microsoft, but since this year Microsoft don't support InfoPath loud Wikipedia.

4) The only way i found is the Microsoft Power Query Connectivity Add-on for Microsoft Excel.

http://scn.sap.com/community/semantic-layer/blog/2014/03/04/microsoft-power-query-connectivity-to-sa...

Is this actually the only path to integrate .unx Universe queries direct to MS-Excel?  I don't find a Roadmap of SAP BusinessObjects Live Office?Which way the SAP want to go with this Add-on in the future?

Regards,

Arne

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

the problem is still present. Nobody have an idea?

Regards,

Arne

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best way that I can think of is create a .unv Universe and go with Live Office.

May be you can create two separate user groups for WEB I and Live Office users and restrict them.

I understand it is an overhead from maintenance perspective. I am just giving you my thoughts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

thanks for your reply.

I am very new in the SAP BI-plattform. The problem is that i have to use the new universes (.unx), which are created with the Information design tool (IDT). I Need the possibility to use one or more relational datasources. I have some additional question:

- The Query as a webservice Designer tool i think is a smart solution to query data from external clients build up on a Universe (UNX). In the Microsoft Excel Version 2010 i don't find a finished add-in which allows the consumption of webservices. I know that i can use Microsoft Visual Studio to consume webservices, but the way of internal developement would not be accepted. Does anybody know a finished add-in for Microsoft Excel 2010? Which also allows Data Regeneration?

Its seems that there is actually no way to query data from universes (UNX), or webi reports which based up on a universe (UNX) in Microsoft Excel, by using only SAP BI frontend-tools?

I am using the SAP BusinessObjects BI-platform 4.1 Support Package 2.

I am thankful for every answer.

Regards,

Arne

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wy can't you use Webi reports based on UNX in Live Office ?
I though you can't connect to UNX directly from LO (using universe query) , but you still should be able to get webi or CR report in Live Office no matter their connectivity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dennis,

i read the following thread here in the Community Network:

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3465974

Actually, the webi reports were built up of universes which are converted from the Format UNV -> UNX. In the future i want to use universes (UNX) which would be create with the Information design tool (IDT).

The SAP Live Office user guide contains the following information:

In the above thread Mr. Konduru wrote the following text:

"This feature is not officially supported by SAP, but there may be  a cases, this will work. But some features may not work. Use it on your own risk.

May be the universe you are using upgraded from UNV to UNX. It may not be the original universe created using IDT. But any case, please follow SAP guide lines.

Tell your client that this feature is not supported."

I can't advise a tool which official not support the attend format. Is that legitimate?

Regards,

Arne

Message was edited by: Arne von Bar

Message was edited by: Arne von Bar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had created a Web intelligence report which is built up of a Universe (unx) which is direct created with the Information design tool (IDT) (No conversion from UNV to UNX). I can integrate (query) the Web intelligence report in Live Office. It works fine, but why does the SAP wrote in there datasheet for Live Office that is no support for Web Intelligence documents based on universes created using the Information design tool? Are there any other use cases where it not work?

Regards,

Arne