Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one is best suitable for my career FI/CO, MM or BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am working in ABAP since 8 years. Mostly i worked on FI/CO and MM.

I want to learn one more module deeply to expand my knowledge and career.  Whis is the best choice from the following.

1.FI/CO : As my background is from Msc (computer science) not Accounting. Will it make any problem for me in future. Can i compete with CA, ICWAI, MBA (Finance) Candidates? I know basic Account upto Balance Sheet Preperation, as of now i understand all the FI/CO requirements easily. I also contributed in FI/CO configuration in some issues.

2.MM: I have also gone through MM Configuration for some issues and developed most reports. Same way like FI/CO i can understand functional scenarios easily.

3.BI:  I am novice to these modules. Some experts in the forum expressed that  "ABAP with BI" will be a great combination.

I have equal passion among all the three ways i have mentioned above.  For Career growth with my academic background which one is the best suitable for me. I am planning to become expertise on that module as i am in ABAP.

Thanks in Advance.

Gajanand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gajanand,

To be honest, you can never be a full fledged FICO consultant like I can never be a ABAP consultant.

Your core skill is ABAP and your brain is tuned in that way, similarly me from functional background, if I learn and try ABAP, I would only mess up the programs There could be some exceptions there 🙂

If you worked for 8 years in FICO / MM areas, you must have reasonable understanding. I think that would be more than sufficient for you. I would sincerely advise to go towards BI / BOBJ / HANA areas as the future is lying there. The ECC modules are already in dead shape, hence no meaning catching the sinking ship.

With your ABAP + Basic FICO / MM + BI/BOBJ/HANA areas, you can sustain for a much longer period.

Best Regards,

Ravi

10 REPLIES 10

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you try web dynpro ABAP ?

As this is a integrated module with ABAP.

FICO/MM is related to a business process..

FICO is all about financial matter. There are no matter with your education qualification.

If you are interested in financial matter and if you can understand these all matters, then you can choose well FICO module.

And MM related to business procurement. If you understand the procure to pay process and if you are interested about the procurement process then you can choose MM module..

As you have knowledge about ABAP and then you want to choose a functional module, then you will be treated as techno-functional consultant..

As you are no fresher, then choice is yours.

I haven't much knowledge about BI, but about FICO and MM, I can say these two modules are very running module, all organizations required for the consultant of FICO and MM module..

Regards

Dev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

8 Years  experience  in  ABAP .

Its great  to listen .

Why  are  you coming   to  functional Module  and  not having  account experience(FI)  and  procurement  Experience (MM) ,better  go  with  web dynpro or  HANA .

I will  be   add on advantage  and  useful  to  you .

Right Now  SAP HANA and  Mobile  Functionality   is   more  and  in Huge Demand .

former_member210252
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gajanand,

It's great to hear from you that you are 8 years experienced in ABAP.

If seen in the present market web applications/mobile applications are emerging very faster.

I would suggest you to try with Web Dynpro ABAP and then FPM - which are purely related to Web Applications.

If you are really looking for a business process learning - which would certainly take time to addict with the new environment SD/MM/BI would be better. As per my understanding or experience ABAP + BI would be a great combination.

But technically if to enhance your skills ABAP with Webdynpro + FPM + POWL would help a lot as already you have set a base on technical platform.

Also there is already new technology booming up which is UI5 with SAP. Hopefully this would again make a drastic change.

Hope I provided at least some information which you are looking for.

Regards,

Rafi

0 Kudos

Thank you Dëv Päträ, Anil Kumar Gollapudi, Rafi Mohammad for your immediate response with your most valuable suggestions.

->I know WebDynpro, Workflow conceptually. I didn't get much exposure to work on these technologies.

->Techno-Functional Consultant role or multiple technical skills role (ABAP with other technical skills), which role plays important role in the project.? To whom companies prefer most.?

I am satisfied with the above career experts replies, still I am waiting for responses of Ravi Shankar Venna, Sanjeev Kumar, Ajay Maheshwari and other experts before taking final decision about my career.

Thanks and Regards,

Gajanand.

0 Kudos

I have gone through your whole post, and find some interesting point and I am just going to point it out

As its my own thinking, so it may varies from other person opinion.

As you have 8 yrs experience, and you have mostly worked on FI/CO and MM module,  so you must have  got all the domain knowledge of it, please remember  one thing having a academics

Background in any field play a vital role in shaping a career options, but it has a limited functionalities for those having vast exposure in any field irrespective of  academics, simply saying if someone has completed his MBA as a major in finance and minor in marketing , but after completing his MBA, he get a job in a reputed MNC and in which his role was as an administrator, so he will get exposure for his experience only and it has nothing to do with his MBA degree.

So, ultimately what matters is having experience in any field, and as you are already a master degree holder, so I don’t think you will get any hurdle in competing with CA, ICWAI, MBA (Finance) Candidates, (Remember  exceptions are  everywhere, that means if any company has strict criteria for academics then I think someone may get more advantage than you, but its an exceptions only).

1. As you are having passion of FI/CO , according to me you can opt it as a career option, but one thing is that , how will you get direct exposure in FI/CO it will matter,  in your professional career you have touched a height, so make use of it, surely you will get it moving on.
  2. Yes, what I have seen in market , there is a good demand in market for SAP ABAP with FI/CO module , recently I got an offer from a large media house for the same domain.
  3. MM is a core procurement process, and requires a good domain knowledge in it, if you have implementation experience, then you can switch, but seeing your experience I will not advice it for you,  FI/CO consultant has more exposure than MM in terms of  value, so I think it will be more advantage for you to be in FI/CO with abap as compared to MM module.
  4. Webdynpro, Workflow with abap now becomes a generic career options, so if you will choose FI/CO module, then I think it makes your vertical growth more than any other combination options.

Lets see what Mr. suggest you, me too looking for his valuable words.

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gajanand,

To be honest, you can never be a full fledged FICO consultant like I can never be a ABAP consultant.

Your core skill is ABAP and your brain is tuned in that way, similarly me from functional background, if I learn and try ABAP, I would only mess up the programs There could be some exceptions there 🙂

If you worked for 8 years in FICO / MM areas, you must have reasonable understanding. I think that would be more than sufficient for you. I would sincerely advise to go towards BI / BOBJ / HANA areas as the future is lying there. The ECC modules are already in dead shape, hence no meaning catching the sinking ship.

With your ABAP + Basic FICO / MM + BI/BOBJ/HANA areas, you can sustain for a much longer period.

Best Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Sir,

and this is the farmost reason that i want to clear and its why  i call you to brief because  changing a domain totally towards any other options is not so much fruitful always for a technical to non-technical stuffs and vice-versa, and i know if you will sound it, it will mark more to anyone.

Thats why i ignore this area " you can never be a full fledged FICO consultant like I can never be a ABAP consultant.".

Thanks a lot for making this topic so interesting, and i hope others will also get benifitted through it.

0 Kudos

Thank you Ravi Sankar Venna & Sanjeev Kumar for your most valuable suggestions.

->What i understand from this conversation is for technical consultant enhancing technical skills will be benefeciary. Nice conclusion, no doubts from my side about it.

->Ravi Sankar Venna can you please elaborate your sentence.

The ECC modules are already in dead shape

I think not only me, but many are curious about it.

Once again thank you one and all for spending your precious time on my question.

Regards.

Gajanand.

0 Kudos

OLTP (ECC) systems can never be replaced that is for sure. However, the problem with them is:

* Most of the implementations are completed, very few implementations left out.

* Number of consultants increased in the market, hence it became too much competitive

* Clients are mostly interested for strategic decisions (BOBJ) or fast retrieval of data (HANA)

* Most of the work left out in ECC is support or maintenance or upgrade type of activities

* SAP is no longer coming up with new versions or changes or modules in the near future

Considering all these, I would expect you would more likely be interested towards applications that provide strategic solutions to the management.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

I am cleared.

Thank you very much Ravi Sankar Venna.

Regards,

Mahender.