cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup of backup medium

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

Maybe there is a very easy solution and I am looking at this from the wrong angle. Let me explain.

Working on MSSQL, there is a facility to schedule a cleanup (delete) of backup media taken to disk. So, effectively, you can schedule your backup to disk (data and transaction logs) and schedule a maintenance plan to delete files in that location using specific age criteria.

Now, for MaxDB I dont see that there is susch a facility. For data backups, I propose to backup to separate direcotries on consecutive days and use the overwrite indicator when taking the backup. That way I will always have two days worth of backup available on resident disk. But I dont know how to do that for the log backup files. They are allocated an incrementing number as a qualifier to the filename. Can anyone suggest a way to automate this "cleanup" please? I would like to maintain a two day retention of log backup files on resident disk as well.

Thanks and Cheers

Ray

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ray,

1. Plkease see sessions Session 10: SAP MaxDB Logging & Session 11: SAP MaxDB Backup and Recovery at

SAP MaxDB: The SAP Database - Training

If you are SAP customer, check the answer on the question 11 in the SAP note:

1377148 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB backup / recovery

Or, MAXDB library at SAP MaxDB: The SAP Database - Documentation

"Archiving Backup Files

When you back up your log entries to files, you have to archive these backup files regularly.

More information:       Archiving Backup Files"

If 7.9 MAXDB version, for example,  => Archiving Backup Files - Database Administration - SAP Library

2. Questions on MAXDB, please, ask at forum.

Thank you and regards, Natalia Khlopina