cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Management in PCM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I wondered how others deal with release management in a PCM environment?  Most of my projects have at least a development/test and a production environment; some have one each for development, test and production.  In each case, moving changes from one environment to the next is time-consuming and requires a lot of cross-checking.  It feels like there ought to be a better way.

Does anyone use software tools or particular techniques to manage this process on PCM projects?  If so, what are they, and what has your experience of using them been like?

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

I've pondered this question since you posted it, and tried to think of an adequate response. I'm not sure I have one. I sure don't have a one-size-fits-all answer.  My experience is similar to yours.  Each implementation is typically fairly unique and subject to the customer's view of what should be in DEV vs. QA vs. PROD.  A lot of times, model migrations are pretty straightforward, but occasionally there's a need to migrate new aspects of a model in chunks.

As far as tools go, we've built a tool for ourselves and our clients that allows for comparison of assignments between models, or between versions & periods within a model (it also allows full model assignment reports to be generated.) It has helped for some clients, but it's not something that we use everywhere.

Mike