Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which SAP module to switch after ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geniuses,

I am working in SAP-ABAP for the past 1 year. But I have not grown much interest in this particular module and I want to switch. Guys please advice which SAP module I should choose.

<<Promises Removed>>

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: kishan P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi aparajit,

m working in organisation where i got abap training after that i work on project for 4-5 months. Now my company giving me chance to switch from abap to BI. It's like m suppose to do abap work along with that expected to learn BI. after some time they will ask me to work on BI as well as Abap. M really confuse whether should i take this project or not . whats the scope of BI ? is it in demand ? how about Abap + BI ?. will HANA replace Abap in BI or BI (not sure still numerous doubt in mind). need valuable advice.

20 REPLIES 20

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debapriya,

You are already working in SAP and have experience of a year in ABAP then you should check out the other modules (technical/functional) and find out which one you find interesting and has job openings so that you can learn it and switch

Cheers,

Nagarajan

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I would certainly recommend you to go into BW.

The modelling and reporting side in BW would be interesting. Your ABAP knowledge would be an added advantage.There are many sub topics in BW where ABAP knowledge is mandatory....

BR

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhith,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please elaborate a bit on BW?

Regards,

Debapriya

0 Kudos

Hi,

Please search in Google. You will get tons and tons of material on BW.(Business warehouse)

BR

Prabhith

0 Kudos

Hi Debapriya,

BW more now is BI . BW was historic name of Business Intelligence which comprise Data
ware housing and reporting tools. So BI is  Data warehouse where data from different sources are stored and reporting is done with reporting tools thats Business Explorer containing various reporting tools.

But HANA can be good option with ABAP as well. You can explore HANA as well.
See what other mentors suggest.

Links that can help you:

BW:

1.   here browse all the docs, discussions and many more

HANA:

2. (check part-1 first)

Hope it helps ...

BR Aparajit

0 Kudos

Aparajit Banik wrote:

Hi Debapriya,

BW more now is BI . BW was historic name of Business Intelligence which comprise Dataware housing and reporting tools.

Im pretty sure they changed it back to BW.

pk

0 Kudos

Well Kishan,
I would agree to that what you said. But my answers were as per definition.
But having said that, introduction of BO has been mesmerizing i believe serving as the reason of changing it back to BW. What you say?
Regards...Aparajit

0 Kudos

Hi Aparajit,

Thanks for providing those suggestions.

Even i have 5 years of experience in SAP ABAP..but unemployed since couple of months due to visa issues. .. Am wondering if i could learn SAP HANA by myself ; I read that it is an upcoming technology .

Regards,

Anu

0 Kudos

Hi Anu,
First of all congrats on completion of successful 5 years in SAP Space.
Well, its surprising to me learning about the situation of unemployment  you mentioned. Well its quite difficult to be unemployed when you are already into industry for long. But as you have asked about SAP HANA well it is always good to have hands on in SAP HANA if possible.
But yes its possible to learn on self. After all i have learnt SAP BI and got certified reading on myself so why not anybody else on this planet.

Well following links will help you to many thing about SAP HANA. If you would like to know more please start a new thread as this thread belongs to Debapriya:

Hope this helps..
-Aparajit

hasan_ahmed1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Debapriya,

Even you can try at functional side as well. If you are not interested in technical side.

Hidayath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debapriya ,

I would suggest you to go for functional side since it will be good as you have enough ABAP knowledge to explore SAP modules of your choice ex SD,MM etc .

Best Regards,

Praveen Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aparajit,

How is the career prospect of BI?

And Thanks to all of u for your suggestions. 

0 Kudos

Hi Debapriya
The career  prospect of BI is at a higher index.The more you learn and get experienced, the better  it becomes. To brief you,
this module has so many functionality in itself that SAP BI/BW is used in many different perspective of analysis by almost all the kinds of organisations/ industries  viz.

• Banking, Finance,
  • Security & Insurance
  • Manufacturing
  • Retail
  • Telecom
  • Pharmaceuticals
starting from Manufacturing Giant like Robert Bosh, Financial Services Company Helios and Matherson  to all known  IT giants or many developing (start up ) consulting organizations both national and international i must mention that.

Analytics are  so critically important for clients because they need to analyse their business and take important tactical decisions, BI/BW helps them in doing that and this reason makes BI as evergreen module to be in demand as long as you take retirement.

For FYI:    BI Combined with BO is more into trends now.  Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Aparajit

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

believe or not believe... take SAP HR

0 Kudos

Hi Aparajit,

Very well explained. Thanks a lot. And I must say the last sentence sounds tempting.

Regards,

Debapriya

0 Kudos

HI Debapriya,

You can also move to sap basis it have good scope in future and u can earn more.As it will help u also as u also know abap also. so my suggestion is u can move to basis.

Thanks and Regards.

Syed

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi aparajit,

m working in organisation where i got abap training after that i work on project for 4-5 months. Now my company giving me chance to switch from abap to BI. It's like m suppose to do abap work along with that expected to learn BI. after some time they will ask me to work on BI as well as Abap. M really confuse whether should i take this project or not . whats the scope of BI ? is it in demand ? how about Abap + BI ?. will HANA replace Abap in BI or BI (not sure still numerous doubt in mind). need valuable advice.

0 Kudos

Hello Snehal,

First of all, you could have started a new thread of discussion as this thread belongs to Debapriya.

Well, coming back to your query, i must tell you : You cant imagine how  lucky you are to be in such a position where you have been asked to learn both. There are thousands around you will find who is trying so hard to get into such position but failing finding it too hard as getting a break into SAP is a tough one.

To answer you straight, i can say one thing :
Close your eyes and jump in. SAP is like an ocean until and unless you swim and land to the bottom of it you will not be able to see how beautiful it is. In one sentence, grab this opportunity without any second thought.
Following points will be helpful for you to understand why:

1. SAP BI has pretty good involvement  of  ABAP  for customization to be carried out and as you already have been to ABAP  learning BI and customizing situation according to business needs will be easy  if you have this niche skill

2. SAP BI with ABAP is one of the most demanding module if you go through the job market. Once you gain experience and keep on learning  there will be no stopping.

Now answer to your questions:

Snehal patil wrote:

M really confuse whether should i take this project or not . whats the scope of BI ? is it in demand ? how about Abap + BI ?. will HANA replace Abap in BI or BI (not sure still numerous doubt in mind). need valuable advice.

Ans: First question is answered.
         Scope of BI if you read the whole discussion, it has already been answered, i hope it will be              enough to answer your second question. please go through above replies.
        3rd question has also been explained see above point 1 and 2.

Snehal patil wrote:

will HANA replace Abap in BI or BI (not sure still numerous doubt in mind). need valuable advice.

Ans:  No is the direct answer. HANA is database to make BW and BO run faster on it as because of the in memory concepts. But its not meant to replace BW.
Once again, please dont think anything much, you are on correct track, just jump in without second thought.

I hope these info helps you a bit.
Regards....
Aparajit

0 Kudos

hey thanx a lot for quick reply. Got very useful info. From next time onward i will surely start new thread.

Regards,

Snehal.

0 Kudos

Hey Thanks SAP BI ... This discussion is very useful. Awesome

I am in a similar position. I have 3 years of experience in ABAP . Now my company is providing me SAP BI training. After reading this discussion, I think I shall go for this.

I have just one query:

what shall i do?

1.) Enhance ABAP skills by learing webdynpro etc.

2.) Learn BI and get involved in its implementation in my company?

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Pankaj