cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PORTAL Time-Out Settings / BO iView Reports..?

former_member183781
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We have created BO object-specific iView requests in SAP PORTAL based on Ingo's posting....

Currently, just posting some small CR4E and Analysis for Office (*Design Studio will be added in a few months) report objects that are based on BW queries - and response time is a few seconds.

However, long-term as our BW grows - and the volume of data/periods expands we may see some reduction in the performance of these reports, and they make take a few-minutes to return data.

The SAP Portal team already have an issue with an ECC / T-Code report (*no Business Objects involved) which runs over 100 seconds - and hits a Portal time-out....and are wondering if we would hit the same issue if a CR4E within the Portal ran longer than 100 seconds...?

I think the answer is "NO", the Portal time-out would not apply in that scenario. My assumption is that in our solution-path, the Portal's 100 second time-out rule would ONLY apply to the process of the Portal invoking the iView request - and opening the frame for the CR4E content.

Once the frame is open - and the RPT / Prompt-Screen is loaded the Portal time-out is "happy".

After that iView -> BO frame is established....so, even if the CR4E & BW Query took more than 100 Seconds to return/display the data - the SAP Portal would not time-out - as all of that activity is actually taking place at the BOE Platform layer within the frame (and using the time-out settings at the BOE level).

Can anyone confirm that my assumptions are correct, or explain where the assumption is wrong..?

Thanks in advance...!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Crystal &/or any other reporting tool will NOT override any back-end timeouts / limitations.

I don't really understand the reasoning for your question / statement.

DK

former_member183781
Active Participant
0 Kudos

In our scenario, the SAP PORTAL has a 100 second time-out, but the Business Objects platform where the CR4E content is hosted has a 600 second time-out for "View on Demand" reporting.

When the SAP PORTAL opens the iView connection, it is opening the CR4E content in a frame on the Portal. Prompts are entered - and the RPT execution begins on the BOE platform.

There is a "spinning-wheel" displayed from the BOE platform, and if run in BO LaunchPad it could run for up to 600 seconds before a time-out occured.

When it is presented in SAP PORTAL via iView connection - does that "spinning-wheel" from BOE Platform provide enough of a "heartbeat" to let the PORTAL know not to drop the connection at 100 seconds....?

My reasoning is that SAP PORTAL should be opening the BOE content with the same rules that apply when the report is opening in the BO LaunchPad.

We are going to create a "SLOW" report in CR4E (*Lots of charts & sub-reports) to test/compare LaunchPad and Portal display of the same report.