cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number error while posting UD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am getting an error message "Serial number xxxx not suitable for movement type". "Serial number xxxx cannot be used here" while making usage decision for an production material. The error is happening only for the particular GRN. The GRN was done for 251 quantity and the problem is with 97 serial numbers only, for the 154 quantity system did not show any error message.

First I tried to change the status and update stock details for the serial number thru' IQ02 but there also getting an error message business transaction not allowed.

Could not change serial no. profile in material master as the particular material has open production orders. Tried to cancel GRN for the material but system is giving the same error "Serial number xxxx not suitable for movement type". "Serial number xxxx cannot be used here". Tried to do posting using the t.code MI10 but there also getting the same error "Serial number xxxx not suitable for movement type". "Serial number xxxx cannot be used here".

I tried to replicate the error message in development and quality system but could not as system is working fine. The problem occurred only for the select set of serial numbers and not for all.

When I checked in SCN got an sap note 1229108 in which it is mentioned that the error could be because issuing SL is not mentioned in the order.

I would like to know whether we can apply sap note directly in production system or not.

Regards

V. Srinivasa Ranganath

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whether or not you apply the note directly in production depends on the corrections being done by the note.  Usually we try to apply the note in test and quality systems for testing and transport the changes to production.  But some notes have to be applied directly.  But that should be clear from reading the note and looking at the changes being made.  I have not looked at that note so I don't know.  But between a BASIS person and a developer, they should be able to figure it out.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply

I checked with my basis person, he said that the SAP note(1229108) which was mentioned has already been applied.

Can anyone suggest the solution for solving this problem as the issue has been lying in work basket for more than three weeks.

shyam_shinde2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

Reason for error could be below :

Serial nos"97" is already available with  different Material Code : you can check this by entering serial no without Materials in IQ03.if this is situation then remove Serialization Level 1 from Material Master.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

The "97" serial nos are assigned to the same material only. The problem is when the 251 serial numbers were entered at the time of posting GRN, system is updating the stock details only 154 serial numbers only. So when we try to posting in QA32 for 251 quantities system is giving an error "Serial number cannot be used here", "Serial number is not suitable for movement type". Tried to reverse GRN but system is giving same error message.

Tried changing the status and then update the stock details for 97 serial numbers, system did not allow to enter the stock details. Checked for SAP notes, but they are all already updated in the system. Kindly let me know if I am missing any step or doing something wrong.

shyam_shinde2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi...

If have taken GRN for 154 serial nos and Usage decision is made then GRN is not possible.

to reverse GRN status of Serial nos should be in Quality stock and UD should be reverse.

refer discussion in below link

0 Kudos

Hi Srinivasa Ranganath,

Please check whether same set of serial numbers which you are posting are maintained in GR Material document assigned in Inspection lot. If the serial numbers which you are posting are not related to Inspection lot then the above error will come.

Thanks,

Kumar

lakshmi_prasad7
Contributor
0 Kudos

if you applied Note  fine otherwise  test one round as below mentioned.

which ever serial numbers is fine just post in UD and save, then again come to UD screen try remaining serial numbers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. We have maintained same set of serial numbers in GRN material document assigned in inspection lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

The problem is we are unable to do partial UD as QMSL procedure in serial number profile is kept as mandatory.