cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to HANA and to another o.s. type with DMO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to migrate my SAP BW system to HANA and migrate also the o.s (eg. from windows to linux). I want to know if DMO allow me to do achieve this result. For my understanding on DMO, the same application server is used also after the migration. Then the step maybe are:

- migrate system with DMO and obtain my system WITH DB on HANA and PAS on windows.

- turn off definitively the PAS (windows) and install a new PAS on linux (new server) on top of HANA DB

Is this a right procedure?

Thanks

Regards,

Walter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Olj
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

which scenario did you migrate?

We have the same situation.

ulrichfundus
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

please sent the DB schema in your DEFAULT.PFL profile.

dbs/hdb/schema = SAPBWD

dbs/hdb/dbname = BWD

j2ee/dbname = BWD

check also if the other HANA database parameter in your profile of your ACSC/PAS DEFAULT profile:

j2ee/dbhost =
SAPDBHOST =

hdbConfigType = DEFAULT

j2ee/dbtype = hdb

After set, start the SWPM again from the beginning that he can read the profiles on your windows machines.

Regards

Uli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ulrich,

Thanks for your detailed response on the profile parameters to be taken care before installing fresh PAS on a new OS.

Regards,

Nisheeth

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have recnetly went through it . Let me give the details

Curretn lsandscape:

2. Your HANA DB is pre isntalled on SUSE

3. Your MSSQL is on windows

4. Your SAP APP's are on Windows.

Now HANA Migration

0.You will be starting the SUM in windows.

1. We should use DMO

2. First your existing BW will get upgraded to BW 7.4 SR2 (latest)

3. Your exisint data that is present in the MSSQL will go to HANA DB that is installed on SUSE.

0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

We need to migrate the SAP application Server which is currently on Windows also to SUSE linux host along with the Database to HANA on a different SUSE Linux host. This is what exactly what Walter's landscape scenario was.

Current Landscape:

Source: Windows + MSSQL

Target:  Migrate the apps to Linux and DB to HANA on Suse Linux.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rgj,

could you share you experience if you had finished the migration, i have same requirement.

the source system is Windows + oracle, the target system is Linux + HANA. now I have migrated the DB to HANA with DMO, but the ASCS and PAS still on Windows. I want to migrate the ASCS and PAS to windows, but when I stop the ASCS and PAS on windows, install new ASCS and PAS on Linux with a error, because the SWPM default schema is SAPABAP1, it can not change. but the correct schema is SAPBWD. so please share, thanks so much.

Jimmy

muzavor
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

With the DMO option we are able to able to switch the DB from AnyDB to HANA( Migrate only the DB application server host remains the same).

Inorder to migrate the BW from Windows to Linux you will need to perform the tradition OS/DB Migration using System Export/Import method.

1) Perform System Copy Export for the target DB HANA.

2) Copy the exported files to the Linux server (New Host)

3) Perform System Copy Import with the target HANA DB

Kindly follow the System copy guides availabel in SAP Marketplace.

Regards

Arshad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arshad,

thank you very mutch for your answer!

Your suggestion is right, but in this way probably I have to upgrade my system and then migrate it to HANA with a system copy (2 steps).

DMO is a fantastic innovation that allow to do all this task in only one step! I think it's important to understand if it's possible to leverage this feature also in a scenario like that one mentioned above in this post. Please, read it and give me your opinion!

Thanks!

Regards,

Walter

muzavor
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

DMO is definitely the best option for migration to HANA.

It enables the Upgrade and Migrate to be performed with a single downtime and in a single step.

It will also be including Unicode conversion thereby making it even more potent.

One thing that needs to be understood is that Using DMO option the OS of the application server does not change. It only migrates the DB from AnyDB to HANA.

If the OS needs to be changed then we have to perform the standard system copy Export/Import of the source system.

Even traditionally as per SAP if we have to perform OS migration we had to follow the traditional SYSTEM Export/Import .

Regarding the steps mentioned in your post, I have not come across it anywhere in SAP documentation. If SAP has documented it then it would be definitely an option.

Regards

Arshad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arshad,

you have to do a standard system copy Export/Import only if you want to change the o.s. of the server where database is installed. In my example, after DMO migration, the database is HANA with Linux and the application server is Windows (the source one).

Now my goal is to change the o.s. of the application server that doesn't require a system copy (database is not moved). I can install a new primary application server (called "primary" but is a normal application server) in a linux server and turn off the source windows AS.

What do you think about it? I think this is the right procedure to change a o.s. of AS.

Regards,

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion about these scenario?

Thanks

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

If i understand your requirement, then you want to change the OS of application server as well right.

You will have to move the ASCS first to the new OS and then move the PAS to the new host.

Just install using sapinst or swpm as they say now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is my goal.

Then, you confirmed my opinion: to change the operating system of the application server, I have to turn off it and install an ASCS and a PAS in a new server with new operating system.

This operation is not a migration or something like this becouse the DB is not affected.

Thank you for you help!

Regards,

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

If its abap stack data is always stored in the database so uninstalling and reinstalling it on another box is not a problem we have done many times, just make sure you have a backup of the profiles even though some of the parameters wont be relevant due OS change , so that you can incorporate some of the standarad parameters which are independant of the OS.

0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

Have you completed this migration? Please share your experiences. We are also planning to implement the same using DMO.

Source: Windows+MSSQL

Target : Upgrade+ migrate to Linux/HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Walter,

You just have to shutdown the application server on windows. Install the new application server on what ever server you want to.

No Migration is required. Migration is valid for only databases as you can't lift and **** it directly.

Thanks,

Vamshi.