Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate SAP Systems from SuSE to RedHat on Oracle DB

former_member303368
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

We have a question:

Some of our SAP Systems are currently running on SuSE Linux 10 SP2 and we want to migrate/move them to RedHat Linux 6.4. The question is that, if we want to migrate to RedHat Linux if this is consider as OS Migrations? Because the Kernel and Oracle binaries are exactly same for Linux OS regardless of RedHat or SuSE, so I would expect the database and SAP computing method would be same….except that fact the SuSE and RedHat Linux has their own OS kernel...

Can you please confirm this for us, so we can decide if we need to take database export via SAPINST/R3Load or just database restore would be sufficient to do this.

Thanks,

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This is NOT a Heterogeneous system copy. This is a Homogeneous system copy.

SAP provides kernel for Linux systems based on the architecture and NOT based on the distribution.

Linux on IA64 64bit - Linux on Power 64bit - Linux on x86_64 64bit - Linux on zSeries 64bit

If the architecture is same then backup and restore should work.

Even if there is a change in the architecture and if the OS stays the same SAP considers that as a Homogeneous system copy. Here is what SAP says:

Note: If the hardware architecture in a system copy does change, but the operating system type stays the same, it is a homogeneous system copy. In other words, if the operating system is called the same on source and target, it is a homogeneous system copy. This does not automatically imply the possibility of a backup/restore to copy the database (i.e. system copy from Solaris SPARC to Solaris Intel). It only points out, SAP treats it like a homogeneous system copy and no “SAP OS/DB Migration Check” is required. SAP assumes the operating system behavior will be the same without

regards of the underlying platform. Please check the database documentation for details on available system copy procedures. Further examples are: HP-UX PA-RISC to HP-UX IA64, LINUX X86 to LINUX POWER, etc.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kumar,

it is an heterogeneous system copy.

In any case it should be possible to use backup/restore method, but in my opinion it is better and export/import procedure:

- in this way you can upgrade Oracle version if you like, and you can ignore the problem to be exactly at the same Oracle level (version, SPS, patch...)

- in this way you can change the layout of the database

- in this way you will perform an Oracle reorganization and redistribuition of the space as you prefere

- maybe you can activate the Oracle compression

Regards

Matteo Stocco

former_member234038
Discoverer
0 Kudos

As far as explained from SAP documentation in TADM70 training (for NW up to7.0) when there is a change in the name it is always an heterogeneus migration

In some special cases RDBMS provider, Oracle, supports backup&restore mechanism or else like transportable tablespaces, but this depends.

See this note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/547314

You can have more details in this summary using freemind (http://freemind.sf.net) I prepared for my students

TADM70.mm - Google Drive

If possible ask your company to send you to sap training and get a certification this is a good one to have

Good luck with this,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would recommend you to use SAP System copy. My experience in Migration validate the percentage of successful completion without major errors.

Kind rgds,

Ashwin Mane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

You can check PAM for supported OS and DB combination to decide if you need to upgrade your DB as well or not. The best option is to go with R3load export import as this method will work for you and you will not be in confusion to decide your strategy.

Regards,

Jitendra

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You just need to make sure that you use a supported version of RHEL for the system.

Also all the RPMS and the libraries should be installed. This is important for the Oracle database.

You can get the information about the Linux requirements from this SAP note

171356 - SAP software on Linux: General information

Regards

RB

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

The question is that, if we want to migrate to RedHat Linux if this is consider as OS Migrations? Because the Kernel and Oracle binaries are exactly same for Linux OS regardless of RedHat or SuSE, so I would expect the database and SAP computing method would be same….except that fact the SuSE and RedHat Linux has their own OS kernel.

Yes even though the SAP kernels and oracle binaries are same for RHEL and SUSE you may look into the PAM to existing supported versions along with patch level before you actually decide on approach.

As both RHEL and SUSE have same endian it is technically possible to perform backup and restore between these 2 environments.

Points to consider

1) Oracle s/w has same release and path

2) All the interim and SBP patches are similar across both the platforms.

3) Both source and target have same SAP release to ensure OS/DB  platforms are supported.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori