cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Call Timeout

0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there any possibility to configure a timeout for an RFC call using .NET Connector 3.0?

RfcDestination.Ping() throws an RfcCommunicationException in about 6..7 seconds if the backend system is not reachable:

LOCATION    CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode

ERROR       timeout occured

TIME        Tue Apr 15 15:37:18 2014

RELEASE     720

COMPONENT   NI (network interface)

VERSION     40

RC          -5

MODULE      nibuf.cpp

LINE        4795

DETAIL      NiBufIConnect: route connect '/H/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/H/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

timeout

COUNTER     2

The same exception type thrown from the same RfcDestination.Ping() can originate from another cpp file:

LOCATION    CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode

ERROR       partner 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx' not reached

TIME        Fri Mar 21 15:01:36 2014

RELEASE     720

COMPONENT   NI (network interface)

VERSION     40

RC          -10

MODULE      nixxi.cpp

LINE        3285

DETAIL      NiPConnect2: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx

SYSTEM CALL connect

ERRNO       10060

ERRNO TEXT  WSAETIMEDOUT: Connection timed out

COUNTER     2

But in the latter case the timeout is much longer, about 30 seconds.

Is it possible to configure timeouts?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Michail,

there is no timeout configuration for function module invocations, however there are certain timeouts on different network layers that are inherited by NCo and which are not adjustable via NCo so far (socket timeouts).

Best regards,

Markus

0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Do you consider the possibility to implement communication using non-blocking sockets?

Regards,

Michail

hynek_petrak
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michail,

personally I've found easier to use asynchronous programming of .net, rather then dealing with non-blocking sockets ....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh191443.aspx

BR, Hynek

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Michail,

for using the RFC protocol to an ABAP system, it is required to use the CPIC protocol underneath. Hence, NCo itself does not have direct control over the sockets - in particular, they are even in unmanaged code sequences. Certainly, on very low level, there is the possibility to set timeouts, but not all of them are accessible through the layers and I'm not aware that the ones you refer to are available.

Best regards,

Markus

0 Kudos

Timeout configuration could be implemented on the client side, no doubt. However, sometimes it is not obvious when the code of NCo would access the backend system. E.g. first access to the repository would be remote, the second one would use cached data. In my opinion, wrapping every piece of NCo code on client side would be an overkill.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

hynek_petrak
Active Participant
0 Kudos

In which way would you like to configure the timeouts? To make them longer or shorter?

If the NCO does not have any interface to set the timeout explicitly, you could use time limit decorators as describer for example here:

c# - Time Limit decorator - Code Review Stack Exchange

Or for the WSA timeouts the system wide parameters for TCP:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739819(WS.10).aspx

TcpMaxDataRetransmissions and TcpInitialRtt

0 Kudos

Hi Hynek,

I would like to make timeouts predictable. If I set the timeout to 10 seconds I would expect that the operation would succeed or fail not later than in 10 seconds.

Time decorator approach could be one possibility, thanks for the hint! Unfortunately, that one is not a panacea because using another thread for functional module call would not be always desirable.

Tweaking system settings would be the option I would try to avoid because of several reasons. E.g. because my process would not have full control over the settings and another process can easily change them. Or or because my process would not have enough permissions to change the settings. But thanks for that hint as well.

Regards,

Michail