cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Crystal Reports XI to 2013

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I develop applications with a case tool (CA Plex) and this tool generates programs in C++.

I use rdc runtime to open rpt file but in Crystal Reports 2013 the RDC runtime does not exists.

What was the runtime can I use and how to open rpt files?

My case tool supports source codes in VBScript or Javascript.

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Crystal 2013 does not come with any SDK files.  Instead, you have to download them separately (free download).

RDC is no longer available.  Instead you have to use either the .NET or the Java SDK.  To get the .NET version, you can go here:  http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824.  To get the Java SDK, you can go here:  Crystal Reports for Eclipse - Installation Types and Downloads - Business Intelligence (BusinessObje...

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I downloaded .NET SDK.

Then I have to use InProc RAS SDK to substitute RDC runtime correct?

You have an example to this implementation in C++, VBScript or JavaScript?

The code to replace is next:

Set app = CreateObject("CrystalRuntime.Application")

Set rpt = app.OpenReport( RptFileNme, 1 )

CrystalReport1.ReportSource = rpt

Best regards.

Ruben

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you go to the main page for the Crystal for VS space here:  http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio

Scroll down and on the left-hand side of the screen is a link to sample programs that will get you to what you're looking for.

-Dell

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

Since you will be using .NET, I moved your post to SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio (http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio).

Couple of things to note.

1) I assume when you say you downloaded the .NET SDK, you downloaded

SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio from here:

2) SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio can only be used in VS 2010, 2012 and 2013.

3) You do not need to use the InProc RAS SDK, you can use the Crystal Reports SDK for VS. Depends on what you will be doing. InProc RAS SDK has report creation APIs and is a bit richer in terms of available APIs. For CR samples see: Also see

Crystal Reports for .NET SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Also see:

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

For RAS SDK see samples here:

NET RAS SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Also see:

Report Application Server .NET SDK Developer Guide

Report Application Server .NET API Guide

And finally, don't forget to use the search box in the top right corner.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Rubens,

i am also a CA Plex developer in exactly the same situation with CA Plex as you - upgrading to 2011 has caused a problem!

DI'd you get a workable answer to your problem from this thread? I was confused by the answers that the people gave to you.

best regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark.

I have not received an answer that resolves the problem, but now I have another project and the lack of runtime caused the migration standby.

In really I think the problem was not understood,

If you find a solution to the problem, please tell me.

I'll do the same to help.

Best regards,

Ruben

0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

thanks for your quick reply.

In a way I am glad you are as confused as I am with the well-meaning answers and suggestions posted above.

It seems, if we want to use a version of SAP Crystal Reports after XI, we will have to re-write the interface to CA Plex to use something other that the VB script that works so well at the moment. The answers above don't give us a clear path to an "improved" solution.

I reloaded Crystal XI (only the Developer components) and my reports all work again now - i.e. using the 'old' technology.

This is in line with the suggestions in the CA Plex support documentation.

If I ever get the time I will try to find a different solution but as this works for me at the moment (and I don't have more time) this one will do for me for now.

Best regards,

Mark

PS - to be clear I also have Crystal 2011 on my machine to develop the reports I run.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Things are actually not as complex as it looks. Rather, I suspect the issue is that the answer is not what you are looking...

I am assuming that when you were working with CA Plex and added CR SDK to the project, you used The Crystal Repoprts Report Designer Component (RDC). This is based on two main files, namely craxdrt.dll and crviewer.dll (possibly craxddrt.dll). The RDC was retired in CR XI R2 (v. 11.5). I think CR XI R2 released in 2006 and has been out of support since mid 2012 (2011?).

The Java SDK and the SDK for VS .NET replaced the RDC. Neither CR 2011, nor CR 2013 install any SDK. If you want the SDK for .NET see this:

If you'd be more interested in Java see this:

SAP BusinessObjects - SAP Crystal Reports, Version For Eclipse Download

And this blog is a bit of an explanation of the different versions of CR and what they include.

The upshot of all of this is that CR has no other SDK. Thus unless CA Plex supports .NET or Java you have no choice but to maintain what you have (e.g.; CR RDC). If you can use .NET or Java we have lots of help on those SDKs - obviously none directly related to CA Plex, but what we do have should point you in the right direction. And yes, your solution will have to be rewritten using either SDK - no magic bullet there.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your reply - I have been reading many of your posts surrounding this topic; the depth of your  knowledge is impressive.

You are certainly right in that we were using the crviewer.dll via VB Script to 'call' Crystal from our CA Plex developed C++ programs. I did realise when I upgraded to CR 2011 a couple of years ago that the RDC had fallen away but got around the issue by effectively using XI (for connectivity) and 2011 (for report creation). I think I understand from some of your other posts that this might have been bending a licence agreement.

The beauty about CA Plex is that it allows complex and advanced database and business systems to be developed by people with little programming knowledge (like me!). It took quite a while to get the original VB Script interface to Crystal up and running. CA Plex can generate .NET - I will follow your link to the .NET solution and see if I am up to it.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

Mark

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahhh, I'm starting to like CA Plex .

BTW.; Creating report in a stand alone version like 2011 and running with XI runtime is not a problem. Not as far as licensing goes. There may be issues with new features (say Cascading Parameters), or database connectivity (E.g.; CR 2011 supports MS SQL 2012 via MS SQL Server Native client 11, which CR XI would have no idea what to do with.). But with a bit of care it works and obviously did work for you.

I have never heard of CA Plex before (part of the beauty of this job - learning about all these "things"). But if you do run into issues wiring in the CR SDK for .NET, let us know and we'll help as much as we can - from the VS perspective .

Have a great day and good luck,

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben

Just to clear out the air; CR 2013 does  not install any SDK. However, there is the SDK for VS .NET (SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET) and there is also the Crystal Reports for Eclpse. Both are free downloads. For more details please see the blog:

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada