Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICM - Timeout Parameters

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are facing issues with ICM only in one of the app servers. It is taking more load and going to emergency mode only in one app. I looked at ICM services in both instances

No. Protocol           Service Name/Port    Host Name            Keep Alive          Proc.Timeo Actv External Bind

1  HTTP               8000                                  Host2               9,999,999                  1-
  2  SMTP               0                                        Host2               30                        9,999,999

icm/server_port_0     = PROT=HTTP,PORT=8000,PROCTIMEOUT=-1

No. Protocol           Service Name/Port    Host Name         Keep Alive             Proc.Timeo Actv External Bind

1  HTTP               8001                                 Host1               30                                              9,999,999
2  SMTP               0                                      Host1               30                                                9,999,999

icm/server_port_0     = PROT=HTTP,PORT=8001

Problem is with Host2. I see differences here. Please help fixing the issue. Which timeout parameter should I modify? If I just remove Proctimeout=-1, will it fix issue. Production is getting affected. PLs advise ASAP.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kavitha,

What are the configuration settings for the Web Dispatcher in front of this ABAP stack? Ideally these are stand alone Web Dispatchers.

How are the users hitting the ITS here? Directly thru a browser? Thru a portal? Just trying to get an idea of the access flow here to understand why one server seems to be hit more than the others.

It sounds like you're seeing an unusually large load on one of the servers - it does not sound like they are being balanced correctly.

Thanks,

Tim

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Users are login using the url http://host1/sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_ui_frame/default.htm

Host1 is CI. Host 2 is App server which has issue. We noticed the ICM connections spiking to 5000+ and it still remains 5000+ even after 2 days. CI has max 50 connections only. After implementing above mentioned 7 parameters in CI and APP instance profile, now users are able to login even when the connections are 5000+. But still why App server only taking the load? Why the connections are not reducing when there is no business activities. Below are the parameter settings for web dispatcher. Please help.

ms/http_port = 8101
icm/max_conn = 2000
icm/max_sockets = 1024
icm/req_queue_len = 2000
icm/min_threads = 50
icm/max_threads = 120
mpi/total_size_MB = 100
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
# SAP Web Dispatcher Ports
icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80
icm/server_port_1 = PROT=ROUTER,PORT=443
#icm/server_port_2 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

wdisp/HTTP/max_pooled_con = 2000
wdisp/HTTPS/max_pooled_con = 2000
wdisp/auto_refresh = 120
wdisp/HTTP/esid_support = 1
mpi/max_pipes = 4000
mpi/buffer_size = 65536
icm/max_sockets = 4000
icm/max_services = 100
icm/listen_queue_len = 512
icm/min_spare_threads = 3
icm/log_level = 0
icm/accept_remote_trace_level = 0
icm/ccms_monitoring = 1
icm/conn_timeout = 5000
icm/keep_alive_timeout = 600
rdisp/plugin_auto_logout = 0
icm/ccms_refresh_rate = 30
icm/HTTP/max_request_size_KB = 102400

Tahnsk,

Kavitha Rajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kavitha,

You answered your own question 😉 You're funneling everyone thru that one server.

If you have multiple application servers like this and they are all suposed to render ITS services, I would very seriously explore the use of a dedicated Web Dispatcher server. It's really a service installed on an OS that has the ITS functions you reference as well as load balancing capabilities for ABAP (and J2EE stacks).

Check out this link: SAP Web Dispatcher - SAP Library - this should provide some decent guidance for you. I would suggest building out two web dispatchers for redundancy. If your network team can provide you a single web address like http://erp.domain.com then users can use this for everything in terms of access and the details are handled underneath automatically.

The help page covers architecture, sizing and SSL should you desire that. It's very lightweight from a server perspective - a single CPU with 2 or 4 GB of memory and can be configured to service many different backend systems at the same time.

I hope this is helpful!

Tim

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

But we already have a Web dispatcher installed and in the previous post, I have provided the parameter values for the Web dispatcher. Please advise if any of those affecting the load balancing.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok cool. Then if so, please post the content of the Web Dispatcher's instance profile, specfically the following sections:

# Accesssability of Message Server

# SAP Web Dispatcher Redirects

Here's an example of one from a previous life:

#rdisp/mshost = dw1.domain.com

#ms/http_port = 8101

wdisp/system_0 = SID=ABC,MSHOST=abc.domain.com,MSPORT=8101,SRCSRV=alias1.domain.com:80

wdisp/system_1 = SID=DEF,MSHOST=def.domain.com,MSPORT=8101,SRCSRV=alias2.domain.com:80

wdisp/system_2 = SID=GHI,MSHOST=ghi.domain.com,MSPORT=8100,SRCSRV=alias3.domain.com:80

wdisp/system_3 = SID=JKL,MSHOST=jkl.domain.com,MSPORT=8100,SRCSRV=alias4.domain.com:80

# Configuration for medium scenario

icm/max_conn = 500

icm/max_sockets = 1024

icm/req_queue_len = 500

icm/min_threads = 10

icm/max_threads = 50

mpi/total_size_MB = 80

icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80,EXTBIND=1,PROCTIMEOUT=3600,HOST=abc.domain.com

icm/server_port_1 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80,EXTBIND=1,PROCTIMEOUT=3600,HOST=def.domain.com

icm/server_port_2 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80,EXTBIND=1,PROCTIMEOUT=3600,HOST=ghi.domain.com

icm/server_port_3 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80,EXTBIND=1,PROCTIMEOUT=3600,HOST=jkl.domain.com

# SAP Web Dispatcher Redirects

# icm/HTTP/redirect_0 = PREFIX=/, TO=/irj/portal

# icm/HTTP/redirect_1 = PREFIX=/sap, TO=/sap/bc/nwbc

icm/HTTP/redirect_0 = PREFIX=/, FOR=abc.domain.com, TO=/sap/bc/nwbc, HOST=abc.domain.com

icm/HTTP/redirect_1 = PREFIX=/, FOR=def.domain.com, TO=/sap/bc/nwbc, HOST=def.domain.com

icm/HTTP/redirect_2 = PREFIX=/, FOR=ghi.domain.com, TO=/sap/bc/nwbc, HOST=ghi.domain.com

icm/HTTP/redirect_3 = PREFIX=/, FOR=jkl.domain.com, TO=/sap/bc/nwbc, HOST=jkl.domain.com

Please keep in mind that every ABAP stack and J2EE system have ITS elements, but that does not make them a Web Dispatcher. The config you detailed above seems like it came from an ABAP server - a web dispatcher builds on these core elements and adds items like redirects and load balancing (thru message server identifucation).

Tim

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Below are the web-dispatcher Instance profile parameters.

SAPSYSTEMNAME = XXX
SAPGLOBALHOST = Host1
SAPSYSTEM = 02
INSTANCE_NAME = W02
DIR_CT_RUN = $(DIR_EXE_ROOT)\$(OS_UNICODE)\NTAMD64
DIR_EXECUTABLE = $(DIR_CT_RUN)
rdisp/mshost = Host1
ms/http_port = 8101
# Configuration for medium scenario
icm/max_conn = 2000
icm/max_sockets = 1024
icm/req_queue_len = 2000
icm/min_threads = 50
icm/max_threads = 120
mpi/total_size_MB = 100
icm/server_port_0 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=80
icm/server_port_1 = PROT=ROUTER,PORT=443
#icm/server_port_2 = PROT=HTTP,PORT=81$$

wdisp/HTTP/max_pooled_con = 2000
wdisp/HTTPS/max_pooled_con = 2000
wdisp/auto_refresh = 120
wdisp/HTTP/esid_support = 1
mpi/max_pipes = 4000
mpi/buffer_size = 65536
icm/max_sockets = 4000
icm/max_services = 100
icm/listen_queue_len = 512
icm/min_spare_threads = 3
icm/log_level = 0
icm/accept_remote_trace_level = 0
icm/ccms_monitoring = 1
icm/conn_timeout = 5000
icm/keep_alive_timeout = 600
rdisp/plugin_auto_logout = 0
icm/ccms_refresh_rate = 30
icm/HTTP/max_request_size_KB = 102400

Thanks,
Kavitha Rajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great - sorry I misunderstood you at first.

So the users come into the webdispatcher on the address ->  http://host1/sap/bc/bsp/sap/crm_ui_frame/default.htm -> this represents the address of the Web Dispatcher. The dispatcher however, seems to be over loading one of the application servers on the ABAP backend.

A few items I'd check then:

1) Logon to the admin console for the Web Dispatcher itself. Check to ensure that it is indeed seeing all of the logon groups configured in the ABAP backend.

2) Check the configurations of the ABAP logon groups for any issues - i.e. they are excluding servers.

3) Check the configuration of the ICM parameters in each of the ABAP servers - they should all be identicial unless you have exceptions noted.

4) For the Web Dispatcher itself, you may wish to set it up for a 'large system' scenerio with values like this:

icm/max_connicm/max_socketsicm/req_queue_lenicm/min_threadsicm/max_threadsmpi/total_size_MBmpi/max_pipes

The Web Dispatcher uses the configuration under "Accesssability of Message Server" to determine the location of a ABAP / J2EE message server and in turn read back the available logon groups. If the Web Dispatcher is seeing the logon groups correctly, then it's something to do with either the ICM settings on each app server or the logon group configurations itself.

The only thing I see odd here is that the servername for the Web Dispatcher is "HOST 1" but under the instance profile you have:

#-------------------------------------     ----------------------------------

rdisp/mshost = Host1

ms/http_port = 8101

So unless that's a typo, are the WD and ABAP stack on the same server? "rdisp/mshost" should be pointing to the servername where the message server service (CI typically) is running for the ABAP stack.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Care to explain what you mean by emergency mode? The ICM timeout settings shouldn't affect load balancing so I suspect your problem is somewhere else. Especially with that configuration, processes can run without interruption for a very long time on both hosts. Can you share the process configuration of both instances and the logon group configuration? How are you balancing the load? Using logon groups? Are you using SAP Web Dispatcher or something similar? If there are many inactive sessions in the system, set rdisp/plugin_auto_logout accordingly. I think the space would have been more suitable for this discussion thread.

former_member196664
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli,

We have set rdisp/plugin_auto_logout = 28800 currently. Problem is, users started complaining sometime in the peak business time, that they cannot login. When I looked into the system, there is issue in SMICM. I was not able to refresh, showing emergency mode, then later after few times if trying 'leave emergency mode", then it shows more # of connections used for ex: 1800 than ususal max 250 connections. This happens only in one app server not the entral instance. After restrating ICM this issue getting resolved. We are using web-dispatcher. We have configured load balancing in SMLG. I have also used load balancing in the SICF service for the web-ui. I used OSS Note 737625 - Parameter recommendations for the ICM. Changed parameters for 7.00  version.

icm/max_conn               = 10000

icm/max_sockets = 16384

icm/req_queue_len          = 6000

icm/min_threads            = 100

icm/max_threads            = 250

mpi/total_size_MB          = 500

mpi/max_pipes              = 20500

When I compared between the servers, I am only seeing above timeout parameter difference between the 2 servers. Problem is only with app server. I am able to use SMICM in the central instance without any issue. It is fine after refreshing unlike the app server. Also showing around only 50 connections approx. Please help ASAP to resolve this production issue. I have posted here as it has started with performance issue which lead me to look into ICM.

Thanks,

Kavitha Rajan.