cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS/DB migration from Win/MS SQL TO IBM i

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a novel situation. Our implementation partner wants us to install there pre-configured ECC 6.0 EHP6 system. However they have a win/MS SQL system and we have a IBM i system. We have considered trying scc7/scc8 client export/import but we are not sure this is going to work. Looks like our last option is to do a fully fledged OS/DB migration from the win/sql to our IBM i.

Has anyone done this before? Any idea on the level of complexity? How long we should reasonably allow for the process?

Thanks

Matthew Milne

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

nice to hear from you ;-))

As they have doen in their system ABAPs and other repository changes, there is no chance with client copy etc.

The only useful way is a full OS/DB migration.

In this case, it makes it even simpler for you 😉

They will do an export with SAPinst towards iSeries.

You will import this export (with a migration key) on iSeries - works 99% as an installation - as they want the system in the SAME way as they do have, you even do not need to install support packs at the end - so you can say: this way makes it easier for you ;-))

You can contact me, then we can discuss in detail (that is the way, that I always prefer to install new customers ...)

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good to hear from you Volker! How do we get the migration key?

Thanks

Matthew

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

you can order the migration key based on the installation number, source SID etc. in the service marketplace. This key is for free.

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew

1. I thing in both system SAP Version / support package level are same you can perform the Client export /Import

2. If the SPS level are different in both system, you have to perform the heterogeneous system copy from Windows / MS Sql to IBM i /DB2

Regards

Sriram

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Our implementation partner wants us to install there pre-configured ECC 6.0 EHP6 system.

However they have a win/MS SQL system and we have a IBM i system

I am not very clear with the information.

My understanding is as below

You need to copy a ECC 6.0 system which is running on MSSQL/WIN to IBMi . ?

If my understanding is correct, please provide below details

1) Is this copy to be performed on a new environment of IBMi ?

2) Is this copy to be performed to existing client on an existing SAP system on IBMi?

3) If response to (2) is Yes, then provide SAP release and patch details for SAP on MSSQL as well as SAP on IBMi .?

Regards,

Deepak Kori