Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are using below Nakisa product.

Name: Nakisa OrgAudit

Version: 4.0 SP1

Build: 0910021800

Database: SQL Server

When Im creating the destination connection with the following parameters and test the connection Im getting the error '

Server Name: host name:port:sid

Initial Catalogue : Instance of SQL Server

User Name:  Userid

Password:  **********

I had an experience working with Oracle database but getting confused with SQL Server 'Initial Catalogue' parameter. I searched the forum and found that the initial catalogue should be instance of databse. We have only one instance of SQL server and I tried with that but still Im getting the same issue. Please let me know where Im going wrong.Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Manohar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manohar.

If I had the following details...

• Server name=SQL01
  • Domain=ACME.COM
  • SQL Instance=INS01
  • Port=1234
  • Initial Catalog=NAKISADB
  • User Name=USRID01
  • Password=P@$$W0RD

I would set the parameters as follows...

• Server Name=SQL01.ACME.COM:1234\INS01
  • Initial Catalog=NAKISADB
  • User Name=USRID01
  • Password=P@$$W0RD

Hopefully the server, domain, port, user name and password are self-explanatory.

In Oracle the instance would be the memory, processes, etc. used to access the data in the database.  For SQL Server this relates to the particular installation of the SQL Server product on the server - i.e. if you have SQL Server installed more than once on a server then you need to tell the application which one to talk to.  If there is only one instance on the server then you won't need to specify this (you could drop the \INS01 above).

Similarly if you are accessing via the default port (1433) you shouldn't need to specify the port explicitly.  Usually orgs switch ports for security reasons or because they have multiple instances on a server.

So if you have one SQL Server instance on the server and it is running on the default port you should be able to get away with just the fully qualified domain name in the server name field.

The Initial Catalog is the name of the database to be accessed within the SQL Server instance (e.g. SQL01.ACME.COM).

Make sure your Initial Catalog name matches exactly - it is case sensitive (or certainly has been on every environment I've implemented against so far).  I can't recall if the SQL instance is too, but I would match the case on that just to be sure.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Stephen,

Nice to see your reply in this post as well. Hope yoy are doing good. Thank you so much for detailed explanation.

As per your comments, I tried with FQDN (as you said if we have only one instance and default port, its fine to go with FQDN alone), FQDN:Port and also FQDN:Port\Instance but unfortunately Im getting the same error. I will double check with my team on the instance of sql server and initial catalogue and configure accordingly.

Thanks and regards,

Manohar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

The issue is with the data base user type. My Basis consultant created a user type of Windows_user but user should be of type sql database user. Issue got resolved.

Thanks,

Manohar