Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to BW via BusinessObjects Platform

stephen_hobbs2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

We want our users to log onto BW via the BO platform. At the moment I can pull a BW user through into our BO system and they can log onto Analysis by selecting BO platform using SAP Authentication. The next step is that they need to log onto BW. We don't have SSO set up so again they use their BW userID and password.

What are the options open to us for allowing our users to log onto BW? By that I mean which of the connection options can we use? Currently I only see a list of systems when I select 'Local System' and it pulls thought the systems from my .ini file and I can connect ok to any system regardless of which BO system I connected to.

Can/should I be able to see a list of Systems that we want to give our users access to from the 'System' option from the conenctions pull-down?

I can't find any documentation that details how I go about doing this, if it's at all possible. I assume I do some security in the BO CMC?

I hope the above makes sense? Regards and thanks in advance,

Stephen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stephen,

first of all Analysis Office - regardless from where the connection is being started - will honor your BW data level security and the authorization objects. Means that the user will not be allowed to access items where the user doesn't have the rights.

In case you are using naming conventions in BW then you could for example use a single connection in BW pointing to your BW system and the user then would see all the InfoProviders and queries - based on the defined authorization objects.

in case you are not using naming conventions in BW, you might want to think about setting up security on the SAP BusinessObjects BI System for the connections.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, SAP

stephen_hobbs2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Ingo. I am happy that any existing BW authorisation flow through when connecting via BO, but what I'm struggling to resolve is allowing a user to select which system they connection to. I have created an OLAP connect for our DEV system and the user exists in BO (SAP authentication) and BW. I have assigned the connection to a group and assigned my user to this group. But it only works if they user is also a member of Administrators and then they can see all the available OLAP connections.

We can’t figure out what authorisations we are missing – can anyone help?

Above is what our user sees without being a member of the Administrator group even though we have added them to a group that has access to an BW system via an OLAP connection.

When part of the Administrator group they see all connections. We want them just to see specific connections for which we hace created an OLAP conenction and group in the BO CMC.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi i have the same issue. do you know which access is missing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I suspect you need to grant the following access:

- in CMC

- Go to OlapConnections

- Go to the folder CommonConnections

- Context menu and select user security

- Ensure that the user is either (a) in a group that has access to the this folder or (b) has direct access to this folder (option a is preferred).

Regards

0 Kudos

Stephen thanks!

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you / your BI admin created OLAP connections to your BW system in the CMC?

See video here:

stephen_hobbs2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thaks for the quick reply.

Yes, we have OLAP connections set up...

Stephen

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Analysis takes advantage of the BW/BI Analysis authorizations; that is the access you need to have to connect through to the BI Platform

stephen_hobbs2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks. That's all in place and a user is unable to connect or run queries that they don't have access to. So what's the point of the 'System' 'Cube/InfoProvider' 'Query/Query View' options in the Select Data Source window? Where are these administrated?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See Ingo's response here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3475438

You can create a single connection to the system, or to a specific provider, etc.