cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to establish connection to sybase db from powerbuilder ,I am getting error "Error loading client library.Unable to connect to server"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to powerbuilder and have no idea as to what is to be done to connect powerbuilder to sybase db.When I supply all the parameters of SQLCA like username,dbms etc.in database profile and press "connect" I get error "Error loading client library.Unable to connect to server".Please,can someone help as to what is to be done.What installation is required for connection to Sybase ASE  to powerbuilder.

What are the prerequisites for connection.

If I need Sybase open client,what exactly I need to install?

I am unable to find any documentation which tells from very beginning as to what is to be done.

Please help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to install Sybase Open Client. Then use the dsedit program that comes with it to configure the servers you can connect to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The PowerBuilder documentation is available at:

Sybase Product Documentation  -> Under Tools & Modeling , select PowerBuilder -> PowerBuilder 12.5 -> Connecting to Your Database

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi M;

Along with what Roland said .. you will need to edit your SQL.ini in the OpenClient installation folder's INI sub-folder. You will need to add a section as follows:

[ServerName]

;[CI]

master=TCP,ServerName,5000

query=TCP,ServerName,5000

You may also need to change the port 5000 setting to one that matches your ASE installation of that server. Check with your DBA as to how they set-up the ASE "Listener".

Once that is done, you can use the "ServerName" value in your PB application's SQLCA.Server property.

Note: If you are using ASE 12.5 or lower use the SYC driver setting in PB. If you are using ASE 15.0 or higher, use the "ASE" driver setting (ie: SQLCA.DBMS = "ASE").

HTH

Regards .... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

The program dsedit that I mentioned is a front end for editing the sql.ini file.

Port 5000 is the default when setting up an ASE database server. When contacting the DBA to verify the port, perhaps they can help getting Open Client properly configured.