Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Data Migration-Help required

ravichandran_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't have enough knowledge on DMS Data migration.

In our recent Implementation, we are implementing SAP DMS.

Our client has more legacy data which is in their server. So we have to upload all the data's into SAP DMS.

I gone through few SCN threads and understand that LSMW & BDC will be used for Data migration.

Which is the best method for Data migration?

We are having 50+ document types and it has different processes (status network), Classification & few Object links.

Please advice me and provide me some examples to upload legacy data in DMS.

Thanks in Advance,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ravichandran_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our client not ready to buy any third party tool to migrate the legacy data.

So, we are planning to develop a BDC program to migrate the our legacy documents by using

BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREAT2

BAPI_DOCUMENT_SETSTATUS.

But we are going to upload latest version of documents. So while migrating the data, it has to take latest version.

Eg - For drawing document, Version 03 will be uploaded.So it has to skip version 00, 01, 02.

But the DMS Standard functionality will not allow us to skip versions. I want to skip the versions only for Data migration.

Is there any other way for this or

Anyone please help on this.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ravi,

You can do it step by step.. First of all you don't need to use BAPI_DOCUMENT_SETSTATUS.. BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 will do all the job for you.. Second, if you want to upload all the "before" versions you have to need all of "the" versions of "the" document since you can not create version 3 before version2 unless you use manual versioning.. Don't use LSMW because if you have mass files like that you can not upload your files with LSMW because it doesn't support background running and your Masterdata migration will be interrupted every time you face with an error..

And do not forget to make your customization settings change only for the data migration: you should set "AP" status to "I" before your data migration.. You should later change it when your job is completed.

Hope this helps..

former_member561828
Participant
0 Kudos

We've done lots of document migration as part of SAP ramp-up and acquisitions.

We've had very good success with Seal Systems DMS Load

Howto: speed up SAP data migration or system changes fully reliable - SEAL Systems

Very flexible solution for creating DIR, loading files, and other general DIR operations (set status, object links, etc).

We have loaded thousands of DIR with this solution.

The biggest challenge with document migration is clearing up the legacy data and preparing for the document load.  Expect to spend most of the work time on this.

50+ document types seems excessive.  Remember, type should define the purpose of the DIR, not the file types being stored in the DIR. 

Hope this helps,

ravichandran_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response. I will check link which is provided by you and come back to you.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

There are few approach discussed in the thread https://scn.sap.com/thread/2119796

You may check feasibility on these approaches for your scenario.

We are having 50+ document types and it has different processes (status network), Classification & few Object links.

Creating these configurations into SAP is one time and should not be a problem.

I gone through few SCN threads and understand that LSMW & BDC will be used for Data migration.

Which is the best method for Data migration?

How much volume of data do you have in legacy system ?

Have a thought on whether do you really need to migrate all these data into SAP DMS   ???

OR

You can configure the DMS system and start fresh leaving the document in legacy system as it is.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

ravichandran_r
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

The volume of legacy data's are 30 to 40 Thousand and Our client wants to migrate all the data's.

I will check the links and come to you.

Thanks,

Ravi