cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading a CSV file to Sql Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can i load a csv file, which is in a shared location itn osql using bods.

Where can i create the data source pointing to csv file

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189153
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use fileformat to load CSV file into SQL server, below the details

A file format defines a connection to a file. Therefore, you use a file format to connect to source or target data when the data is stored in a file rather than a database table. The object library stores file format templates that you use to define specific file formats as sources and targets in data flows.

To work with file formats, perform the following tasks:

• Create a file format template that defines the structure for a file.

• Create a specific source or target file format in a data flow. The source or target file format is based on a template and specifies connection information such as the file name.

File format objects can describe files of the following types:

• Delimited: Characters such as commas or tabs separate each field.

• Fixed width: You specify the column width.

• SAP transport: Use to define data transport objects in SAP application data flows.

• Unstructured text: Use to read one or more files of unstructured text from a directory.

• Unstructured binary: Use to read one or more binary documents from a directory.

More details, refer the designer guide

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbods42/en/ds_42_designer_en.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramesh,

i have done the above specified steps. i copied the file to my local .

initially it failed saying, cannot open the file.check path and permissions.

after that i h ave given enough permissions to the file with the account name with which DS will run the job.

but am still getting the same error.

former_member189153
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hope, you have followed designer guide. Please share the error screen shot.

former_member208246
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Samuel,

Job Server must be able to fetch file available in the FTP location. Make sure you have the sufficient privilege to read the file from the corresponding server. Make sure the root directory and the File name where the file points to is also correct.

Are you able to fetch the file from the local system? Check this first for better understanding.

Share us the Error screenshot to get better perspetive on this.

Thanks and regards

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuel,

If the job server is in Unix/Windows application server , create  a folder in that system . Put the files in that location, have access for that folder for developer PC . Now you can load the metadata of CSV files and as well while execution job server will have access to fetch the data since the folder is in the same system.

Else you can have a folder created in another server location where Designer_user and job server_user both will have the access to the folder.