cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java GUI for Apple Mac with Load Balancing setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Wondering if someone can help me with a small question. We are trying to install Java GUI for Apple Mac pcs. I have managed to create the connections file and place it and get the logon details for the systems without load balancing. But, now we need to connect systems which have been configured for load balancing. In windows we would normally require entries in the services file and a sapmsg.ini.

Does anyone know the setup required for logon load balancing for Apple mac pcs?

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Manish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same on Macs, but with the Windows version of the Java GUI I got load balancing to work just fine.  In the settings file I entered a line like this:

<SID> : /M/<message server>/S/3600

Then in the SAP GUI for Java I created a new connection.  In the System field my SID showed up in the drop-down, and selecting it auto-filled the Message Server field with the string from above.  In the Group/Server field I saw the available load balancing groups as well as the individual application servers for that system, and selected the appropriate one.

Once I saved that, it created a new line in my connections file like so:

<SID> [<group>]:conn=/R/<SID>/G/<group>&systemName=<SID>

It works beautifully.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I have used something called the connection file that I created from the saplogon.ini file using the document below:

Can you tell me what steps you followed after the gui was installed to reach to the above mentioned steps in your case?

I also have a java gui installed on my windows xp machine and have a text file that I have created which is the location below:

C:\Documents and Settings\mdanani\Application Data\SAP\Common\saplogon.txt

with the contents looking like this:

PTC DEV : conn=/H/<servername>/S/3210&expert=true

Is there a document that you have followed to configure this? Maybe that will give me clues.

Also, can you tell me where is your settings file? I mean at what location? And, how did you create the setting file? Where do you configure it within the Logon pad?

And, everytime I try to open File -> New Connection I get the error : Error in opening the connection dialog.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks again.

Manish

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Manish,

I'm new to working with the JavaGUI myself and have just been working this out.  However, I followed steps from the documentation which is included in the download, and for which an updated version can be found at http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Frontend Components -> SAP GUI FOR JAVA -> SAP GUI FOR JAVA 7.30 -> <platform> -> PlatinManual_7-2000887x.ZIP (x=5 for Win32, 6 for MacOS).  When you unzip that file, drill into \doc\manual.htm.  Unfortunately, the documentation in this manual is not as detailed as I would like from a system administrator's point of view, but it provides enough hints to get started, with details about how to format connection strings in the configuration files, etc.

You can also access this same documentation from within the JavaGUI itself, after you've installed it, by choosing Help... SAP GUI Help from the menu.

After installation, I found all the settings and connections configuration files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\SAPGUI (on a Win7 machine).  In the JavaGUI I selected File... Preferences... Configuration... Logon, and in the field for Messageservers I put the path to the settings file which was in the path above.  I'm not sure if that's the approved or preferred way to do it, but it worked.  In the settings file I put the line to my message server that I described before.  After that, I was able to create a connection manually in the JavaGUI with File... New Connection, and that entry got created in the connections file from the same path above.

This is still early days of experimentation for me.  This was enough to make a standalone JavaGUI work and connect to my system via load balancing.  The next step for me is to make this happen via a central configuration file so that it isn't necessary to do these steps on every user's installation.  There are instructions in the manual about how to do that, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

Matt