Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than 1 Storage Section in 1 Storage Type

former_member198492
Contributor
0 Kudos

To All

Is there a way in standard SAP that I can have 2 different storage sections for a single storage type?

We are setting up a new warehouse and wish to group materials in industry type (electrical, plumbing, fabrication, etc) but also have the ability to store them in groups such as Fast moving materials, medium moving materials, slow moving materials, bulk materials, etc.

Would I need enhancement to use the material groups for the industry type?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Darren,

you can have as many storage sections in a storage type as you want. When creating a bin you have to enter in which storage section it is, so the bin can only be in one section, but sections you can have a lot.

The determination of the section is done with the section determination field of the material (WM view 1), so material groups are not used in the standard.

So either I do not get your question right or the question is wrong

But when I read you second question this sounds as if you want to use different ways to determine the storage section? Once by industry type and once by fast / slow moving?

Brgds

Juergen

former_member198492
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen

Yes, you are right.

I would like to be able to place all of my electrical materials in a particular group of storage bins (defined by a storage section type 1) and of those electrical materials I want to have the fast moving (defined by a storage section type 2) electrical materials closest to the picking area

If I cannot use more than one storage section, which looks the case as there is only one entry field in the material master, then do you have any other suggestion I could look in to so that I can group by type (electrical) and then by usage (fast moving)

Thanking you in advance

Darren

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need two storage section fields, you solve your problem by duplicating the storage section values:

- Electrical fast moving;

- Electrical slow moving;

- Plumbing fast moving

- Plumbing slow moving.

As for bulk you should have a different storage type anyway.

Edit: I've used this solution myself. Adding a custom storage section 2 field would mean messing with bin determination which is a very dangerous proposition.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member198492
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joao

Of course!!

Sometimes, one can be too busy looking for a complex solution, when with a little lateral thinking, a simple solution presents itself. Why did I not think of doing that!!

Many thanks, I will get configuring now!

Regards

Darren

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Darren,

Joao gave you the perfect solution for the problem.
Instead of using two levels of sectioning you can incorporate them in one level,
that is how it is supposed to be done by standard.