cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a larger BI 4.0 Deployment to BI 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know the best approach to migrate a larger BI 4.0 deployment to BI 4.1?  Based on the post below, the recomended approach to migrate from 4.0 to 4.1 is to perform a fresh install on new hardware and use the LCM to migrate the objects over.  However, it notes that the LCM packages should be limited to 100 objects and that this approach is not recommended for larger installations.  If that is the case, am I stuck performing an in-place upgrade?  I would much preffer to perform a fresh install.

Refferenced Link:

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what would stop you from doing in-place upgrade ? (other than the slide above)
LCM CLI can be used to move thousands of objects.
And UMT with unsupported by SAP option also can be used for moving content BI4 to Bi4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Denis.

1. The reasons that I prefer a new installation would be:
    1. It gives us the opportunity to 'Start Fresh' with a new installation.  In my previous experiences, this seems to provide a stronger base install and a more stable deployment.
    2. It gives us the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of the server OS as well as newer physical hardware
    3. From a BusinessObjects standpoint, an upgrade installation only upgrades items that you have installed in your current environment, so any new features may have to be manually installed after the initial upgrade (I've gathered this from documentation, not personal experience)
  2. For your point on the LCM:
    1. I do like the LCM and use it for typical promotion between environments.  However, I am a little scared to use it for our main cutover to a new deployment because of a previous experience.  We tried to use it for larger imports in BI 4.0 and it resulted in failed jobs, object corruption, and major issues with our system database.  We have over 30,000 historical instances that need to be migrated, which is our biggest problem.
  3. In regards to the UMT, can you use it to go from 4.0 to 4.1?  I know previously, we could not use it to move objects from and old 4.0 environment to a new 4.0 environment... I didn't know if going from 4.0 to 4.1 was supported with this tool.  I haven't built our test environment yet, but would be willing to give this a try.
denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I. - good reasons when newhardware/OS are an option. Upgrade is still a valid scenario and properly done should be reliable.

II. -- LCM command line supposed to help in moving large number of objects.

III. UMT has unsupported command line switch that makes it posible to use it between Bi4.x systems.
It was introduced for troubleshooting only and is not supported by SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Denis.  I didn't know about the command line feature of the LCM, that could be very helpful considering some of our issues were due to web session timeouts.  I will perfom some test upgrades with all three of these options and will report back on how it goes.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that might be the best approach. Good luck .

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

look my answer here:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing your previous experience Oleg.  It sounds like you used the LCM to migrate a database of over 10,000 objects?  Do you recall how long this import took?  We would be migrating over 30,000+ objects.

It sounds like I just need to get the dev environment installed and start running some tests.

Former Member
0 Kudos

6-8 hours.

version 4.0 to 4.0 we copied about a week ...  (a lot of error. very often the tasks fails. only small task copy success)

0 Kudos

Hi,

i would go for the in-place Upgrade here. Afterwards manually add the Features you need via the Windows Control Panel.

I you follow the following Best Practices you should be fine:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1757132

Regards

-Seb.