cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question to load the entire database into memory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am planing to load the whole database into memory. Suppose mydb is 10G. Then I plan Max Memory for 10G. Then I can create a named cache with 10G and bind the mydb to this cache. Is this the best way to load entire db into memory?

If the whole db can be loaded into memory, if procedure cache, cache for tempdb and all other params are not important any more? Or still need to follow common practice to configure memory params?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Max memory would have to be somewhat more than the data cache size.

If durability isn't an issue, the in-memory database feature is another way to have the entire database in memory, and could be considered better as it eliminates physical i/o.

So it depends on your definition of "best way".

The need for procedure cache, cache for tempdb, master and sybsystemprocs database tables, etc. are not changed just because your main user database is fully loaded into data cache.

-bret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Bret. but In-Memory database only available for 15.X. my case is 12.5.

For proc cache, ...etc, if even user db loaded, still need to configure, that means need more memory for this in memory practice. For example, If the db is 10G, with recommendation, 20% of Max memory for proc cache. So I should have 12G-15G for my purpose to load 10G db into memory, right?

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kent,

12-15GB sounds reasonable.

I recommend always including your version with your initial posting (unless the version simply doesn't apply to the question).  Particularly when running an unusual version, and 12.5.x has been end-of-lifed long enough to be unusual now.  Are you running SAP Applications on this system?  If not, please questions post to the space instead, it is the space for general-purpose ASE questions.

Cheers,

-bret

Answers (0)