cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Document Failing

0 Kudos

When I send a link to an Analysis Workspace I have saved in my favorites to someone else, they get an error saying the document can't be found.  However, when I send the same link to someone that has admin privileges on the server, it opens without issue.  This leads me to believe that the problem is an authorization issue.  Anyone know how to troubleshoot an issue like this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Michael

Tthe problem is that you are linking to an Analysis workspace that is in your Favorites folder. By default only you or admins have access to your Favorites.

You you need to move or save the analysis workspace to a public folder then generate and share the link.

Regards

0 Kudos

Ian,

Is there any legitimate way to allow this?  We're starting our rollout, but so far we've reserved public folders for reporting objects that have been promoted, not user generated content that hasn't been validated.  However, the users would like to share the workspace with some of their coworkers.

In the old world they would have used excel and placed the file on sharepoint for the other users to open and refresh.  We trying to remove excel from the workflow for all but the most complicated adhoc style reporting.  It's difficult though because of these types of restrictions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

...so far we've reserved public folders for reporting objects that have been promoted, not user generated content that hasn't been validated.

A typical BI deployment generally has three distinct areas:

1. My Favorites
  2. Enterprise
  3. Self Service

My Favorites

Personal folder only visible by the individual user. Generally users have "Full Control" and produce reports that are ad-hoc/temporary in nature and do not require access by other users.

Enterprise

As described in your post, "enterprise" reports reside beneath the Public Folder structure, have gone through the typical development life-cycle and are supported by IT. The ability to modify these reports is generally disabled as these assets are protected from accidental deletions/modifications. If there is an upgrade or change to the platform, these reports are covered by regression testing.

Self Service

Similar to "enterprise", a Self Service folder structure sits beneath Public Folders (e.g. Public Folders > Self Service > Sales, Public Folder > Self Service > Marketing, etc). The purpose of this area is to encourage Information Producers (power users) to collaborate across the wider BI community. Visibility may (depending on requirements) be restricted to Information Producers only. Access is generally granted with the proviso that content in this space is ad-hoc/proof of concept type work and should be promoted to the Enterprise if deemed business critical.

Note: There are many other considerations when setting up an area for "Self Service" but this appears to be the space that you are currently missing.

Answers (0)