cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding BW mandatory variables to dashboards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I am using 4 different BEx queries and using SAP netweaver BW data connection here. I have 2 mandatory prompts which are common to all these 4 queries. I need to understand how can these BW variables /prompts be leveraged on a dashboard. I would like to have a combo box selection with default values and want to give user a capability to alter the selection of these two combo boxes.

Is there any step by step document from which I can get to know how to bind these variables and have some initial default values in xcelsius ?

PS- Please be aware that I cannot use query browser here as I need to have cross tab data organization and need to host this dashboard on SAP BW portal and not on BI launchpad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Anshul,

Somewhat it is possible through "Add Query", but there are couple of limitations and restrictions.

Please have a look on below Notes..

1928515 - Summary of Limitation and Restriction of Excel binding for BW variable in Dashboards 4.1 SP01

1928506 - Dashboards Major Limitations on BW Integration

Thanks,

Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul, are you aware the SAP Dashboards can easily display data in cross-tab format, regardless of what connection it is using and where it is published to? In addition,  the SAP Dashboards that is published to BI Launchpad can be easily called in Netweaver Portal (if you are using Netweaver Portal). In my humble opinion, publishing to BI Launchpad is a better route. Otherwise, you lose the ability to deploy the dashboard to mobile devices like iPad.

Hope this helps.

simon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon

Mobility is not needed. BIWS, Live office cannot be used at my client site due to certain limitations at the client site. Now to consume BEx queries only 2 options are left 1. query browser 2. SAP bw Netweaver data connection. I am sure with query browser you cannot get a  cross tab data organization in your embedded excel . You need to apply excel formulae. Anyways neither these are very important , my question was mapping BW variables in dashboards . Do you have any suggestions for that . Please refer to my question as I can see you have just commented  the thing which was mentioned in my PS comment .

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anshul,

Take a look at the below links, hope it will be helpful.

Xcelsius 2008 and SAP NetWeaver BW Connection - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Xcelsius and SAP BW connection with BICS (with comments) - YouTube

After importing the query inside the connections tab, select the variable in the bottom window. Insert in option will be enabled from there select a cell in the excel where you are passing the prompt value.

Revert for more help.

--SumanT

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Suman

Thanks for the reply. My requirement will be like this :

1. 4 queries having 2 common BW variables . Now these two BW variables should be available for the user selection ( could be 2 drop downs ) on the dashboard.

2. There could be chance that for one query there is a value present but for the other that value is not present. For. country India might be present in one query but not in the other. But the drop downs should show all the unique values present in all the queries

What could be done here ?

Regards,

anshul