cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have upgraded SAP ECC system to Ehp7, and we have PI system where PI_BASIS(release 2008_1_700) and SAP_BASIS (700 and level 19) which is not compatible for ERP 6.0 Ehp7.

I have checked the Upgrade Dependency Analyzer, it says to upgrade PI system.

Am not sure to which level we need to go and where we need to check the requirements and also the pre-requisites for the same.

Kindly guide.

Thanks,

Preetha Balan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With ECC 7.0, you are upgrading to SAP Business Suite 7 Innovations 2013  (SAP BS 7 i2013). This has implications for everything in your landscape. The easiest description of this can be found in the Planning Guide: SAP Business Suite Landscape Implementation - Technical Planning Guide. (SMP login required).

The table that covers SAP BS 7 i2013 is on page 20.

You will need to upgrade PI to 7.30, 7.31 or 7.40. The same holds true for BI, and the SAP Portal if you have those installed. If you haven't already upgraded Solution Manager to 7.1, you should, because the modeling tools are slightly better the more up to date you get. (Hint: You'll probably want to go to 7.4 across the board for consistency in maintenance and to get the longest possible support for your new version so you don't have to upgrade again soon.)

You must have your ENTIRE landscape modeled correctly in order to be successful with an upgrade. If you haven't done an upgrade recently, the new tool, Software Update Manager or SUM, has changed the game entirely. Solution Manager is now integral to the process. There's no point in trying to figure out versions on your own for each of the components. You are much better off devoting SIGNIFICANT effort to get your modeling correct in Solution Manager. This is easier said than done, so be prepared to do a lot of research do a lot of trial and error if you don't have an experienced consultant to guide you.

I suggest you start by reading everything that Wolf Hengevoss has ever written as that is your best source of SLD and LMDB information. His stuff can be found in the IT Management group. I suggest starting with the blogs found at  System Landscape Directory (SLD) and More on System Landscape Directory .

Once you get your modeling in the SLD and LMDB (Solution Manager) correct, the Maintenance Optimizer (Solution Manager) will help you get everything to the correct and compatible versions.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

wolf_hengevoss
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Tom,

thanks for helping spread thi information! Btw: Easiest entry to find blogs and documents regarding my topics is the SCN page "Landscape Descriptions".

Best Regards!

Wolf Hengevoss

SAP AG

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Preetha,

With EHP6 i had problems with PI versions lower than 7.3 because EHP6 runs with the SAP basis of SAP Netweaver 7.3, i had to find a SAP note patch for this (problem detected with ABAP proxies). I think you can get this problem with EHP7 if you decided dont migrate the PI.

Regards.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preetha - I think you need to upgrade PI system to 7.3 version.

Please check the below note :

1737650 - EHP7 for SAP ERP 6.0 SP Stacks - Release & Information Note

Be aware, that if you are currently using Enterprise Portal, Business Warehouse and/or Process Integration in conjunction with SAP Business Suite applications, you will have to upgrade those SAP NetWeaver Systems to 7.30 or higher before you can upgrade SAP ERP to SAP Enhancement Package 7 for SAP ERP 6.0. For more information about the Version Interoperability within the SAP Business Suite, see SAP note 1388258 and 1951805. You can find an overview picture in the PAM .

P.S. Now PI system is available as java only installation so you might want to have a look at the below blog.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-25207