Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nakisa OrgChart

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I have a requirement to get few details which are coming in Orgunit and Postion infomation boxes (right side of the screen ) to Org chart boxes . We have Analytics functionality available for Orgmodeler  i am not sure whether we have the same functionalities for Org Chart.

We are on 4.01

Would be great help if some one can help me how to achieve the same above things.

Thanks

Rag

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

I assume that by "4.01" you mean "4.1" and not "4.0 SP1".

It is entirely possible to modify the existing views (org unit & position) and add additional fields (that are available in the respective details panels.

If you search SCN for something like "nakisa add field to view" this returns several posts which already cover many of the details of how to do this.  Depending upon what exactly it is you wish to add and what view(s) you wish to add it to this can vary between being something you can do in AdminConsole and something you might need to modify the XML & XSL files directly for (I have to admit I personally do the latter more than the former).

Things you will wish to consider are does the view box need to be made larger to accommodate additional fields and do you wish the field to be visible in both standard (Flash) and basic (HTML) mode - the answer is usually yes so there are typically a couple of places in the view XSL to add the extra fields.  Have a read through a few of those posts, review your requirements and then have a go or specify what it is exactly you need help with in terms of starting.  Some fields to some views is probably too non-specific to get anything but the most general help ... which the existing posts will likely already do for you.

In SOVN OrgModeler, analytics available by default are count (org unit, position and head), financial (budget count, average budget, max budget, min budget), cross-tab (nationality by org unit, gender by country, gender by country by company code) and other (gender by org unit and role type count).

In SOVN OrgChart analytics available by default are position & staffing (position/employee FTE & head counts, occupied positions, vacant positions) and demographic (age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, nationality, equity).

More details about the analytics can be found in the application admin guides and feature check lists.  I wouldn't necessarily try to reproduce the same analytics in OrgChart as exist in OrgModeler.  Each application is for a different job so I would expect the requirements (and almost certainly role security if OrgChart is available to average employees) to differ in an area such as displaying analytics.  Also some of the OrgChart ones are really just displaying the same sort of information at a granular level.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. It’s very clear and detailed.

We are on 4.0 SP 1 – SAP_Live_RFC.

I have done couple of developments to add the additional fields in the below data elements.

1. PositionDetailDataElement.xml" ----- /NAKISA/OC_POSITION_DETAIL
  2. OrgUnitDetailDataElement.xml----/NAKISA/OC_OU_DETAIL

Steps I have followed to add the additional fields

1.       Added additional fields in SAP FM ( Standard)

2.       Data center – verified the changes

3.       Detail designer – Created linked details.

Could you please let me know what xml files to be modified in Appresource xml folder? how to increase the view box changes ?

I also referred - http://scn.sap.com/thread/3266926

Thanks for the inputs

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

Okay - sounds like you are well on track with this already.

So if I understand correctly you have the function module returning the data, and the data being passed into the linked details.  So in effect you should have Function Module -> Data Element -> Detail Data -> Linked Detail -> Detail.  The final step is telling the system where exactly to output the field and in what format.  This is where the XSL comes in.

The XSL for views is found in the Templates_Generated directory - NB: not under a sub directory of AppResources.  The file(s) to change will depend upon precisely which views you wish to amend.  The naming of the XSL files is relatively straight forward so hopefully you will get the idea from the following.

• If you wanted to amend the org unit manager view, there is an ou_manager_*.xsl file (ref. ou_manager_c4f0c2cd93064be.xsl in the base build I'm using as my reference).
  • For position, the detailed view used in the org structure hierarchy is pos_detailed_*.xsl (ref. pos_detailed_981a6a39f2754e1.xsl) and the one used in the position based hierarchy is pos_pos_detailed*.xsl (ref. pos_pos_detaileda19e69e3a96f4f9.xsl).

I don't think you will have much trouble picking out the files you need in the directory if you are working with the standard views.  For any of your own custom views you may be able to follow the same pattern of naming, otherwise you would need to track back the references through the files you have generated to be sure you get the right one.

Within the view XSL you will need to add the entries for the fields as XSL variables and create the corresponding variable mappings.  These are found in the XSL files prior to the template definitions.  You can then add the necessary XSL in within each of the templates.  You may also wish to identify/create corresponding caption entries to use for the fields too and include suitable references in your XSL.

With regards to the view box sizes, the viewconfiguration file for each view contains a number of (i.e. there are several to change) entries for <itemheight> and <itemwidth>.  I think these are the ones that the basic (HTML) mode for the view uses.  The flex templates in the XSL file (for standard mode) contain <VBox> and <HBox> tags with width and height attributes that determine the size of the view box.  You may also find it beneficial to amend the truncation of long text fields (e.g. org unit name) to match any resizing of a view if you do change the width.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks again.

I am trying to locate the xsl folders, if i undesrstood it correct i have to follow the below steps.

1. Need to locate the OrgManger unit XSL File in the Directory ( from build i can get it)

2. View box size increase can be done in corresponding  xsl file to fit the additional fields.

3. Create a linked detail in view to add the additonal fields.

4. Can i use the same functional modules to get the additional fields to add in custom views.

I just tried step 3 with out performing the step 1 and 2 , got the below error

Publish operation failed: Method [getAttribute()] is called in an invalid session.

Thanks

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

1. If you were amending the org unit manager view you would need to copy the relevant XSL file from the "full" build into your .delta and then amend it as required.
  2. View sizes should be amended in the XSL and XML (as described earlier) to accommodate both flex and HTML - i.e. standard and basic modes.
  3. Depending upon what fields and what view you may need an additional linked detail or you may be able to extend an existing linked detail.
  4. The exact approach you take will depend upon exactly what you are trying to do.  So far I've always been able to use existing function modules or (with the help of someone who is skilled in ABAP) extend existing function modules to get the data I need to include in views/detail panels.

Publishing errors occur when there is something illogical in the build.  My usual approach is to go back and review the changes just applied.  Check that there are no XML errors and that the data can be logically tracked through.  If that doesn't work I then back out the change and try to apply it incrementally to see if I can work out (through a process of elimination) what the cause is.

I wouldn't expect omitting steps 1 & 2 above would cause this issue as in effect you are not trying to use them.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

I have tried the below steps still unable to get the details in Org unit boxes.

1. Chnaged group_ou_manager_ xxxx  custom view (added new entry)- Viewconfiguration folder for Custom

2. Delta copy change , publish and restarted the application

3. Tried to create linked  view detail but missing the new template which we have added in xsl files.

Am i missing any step here ? do we also need to change xml files? is ther any way to get the Positon boxes in org unit boxes?

Thanks

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

The configuration is held in XML files so if you are using AdminConsole then it is creating and modifying XML behind the scenes.  I personally find it easier to see the structure and relationship in the XML files.  The AdminConsole hides that detail from you so it can make it difficult (probably impossible in some cases) to determine what is going on when you have an issue in creating customised areas of configuration.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that you have created a brand new view.

• What files exactly have you added to the .delta of the build?
  • Can you follow the configuration in each file to confirm they link to one another as you would expect?You say you "Tried to create linked  view detail but missing the new template which we have added in xsl files".  This suggests that you didn't create the Linked Detail?  If you didn't then that could explain why it isn't working - none of the files are optional.
  • I'm afraid I don't understand how you are missing a template if you also say you have added it?  Are you confident that you added it to the right place?
  • You say that you are "still unable to get the details in Org unit boxes".  Are you getting any fields into your view at all?  Do you get any box drawn at all or just the relationship lines?  Do you get any error messages on the screen or in the log file?

In terms of getting position boxes inside of org unit boxes - that seems illogical.  You can expand an org unit to see the positions beneath it in the (position based) org structure hierarchy.  If you want to get position information (i.e. the fields rather than the box) into an org unit box, then look at the org unit manager view as this pulls in org unit manager position information.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

I have asked my basis team to provide the below folders to make the changes.

1.       1. Template generated Directory.zip

2.       2. View Configuration .zip

We have changed the file by adding one new view – groupou_manager_c4fo2cdxxxbe.xsl  in template generated directory and asked the basis team to keep it in delta build . I need to check this once.

I also need to check whether we have added the files in right place or not. Also can you please let me know the basis activities here as we do not have access to nakisa server.

Thanks again

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

It sounds like you are asking the basis team to do some file copying.  I don't see the need for anything beyond that on the basis side if that is the only thing you are restricted in doing.

If you have access to the SDA file for the build that is in place you could use an archive utility (e.g. 7-ZIP, WinZip) to extract the contents and get the base build files.  These can then be added into a ZIP file matching the .delta folder structure and the resulting ZIP can be imported via AdminConsole.  Not as easy as directly copying files around, but it can allow you to overcome restrictions around direct access to the file system.  You could of course do similar things by modifying the content of a build export and reimporting it (effectively the same sort of things is going on behind the scenes).

I would personally export the build from AdminConsole to get a snap shot of the .delta folder after basis have carried out their file copy.  You could then review all of the XML and XSL to track from the viewconfiguration through to the detailconfiguration (details & linked details), detaildataconfiguration, dataelement and the view XSL.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Its really good to know that we can download and upload, will check it and update you.We were able to increase the OU box change.

The requirement to inlcude the postion details in OU boxes is to eport/ print org structure, users do not want to expand the org unit boxes to see the postion details.

Thanks

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

With regards to one of your points above...

The requirement to inlcude the postion details in OU boxes is to eport/ print org structure, users do not want to expand the org unit boxes to see the postion details.

Perhaps I've simply not got a clear understanding of the requirement, but if you include the position details within a single org unit view (/box) you would need to increase the size of the org unit boxes substantially.  Not to mention the added complexity of iterating through all possible entries.  Even if you had a maximum of just 10 positions per org unit the boxes would still be considerably larger than the standard size.  Also you would need to give some consideration for linking these in org unit positions to the position details panels - clicking on an org unit view opens the org unit details panel ... presumably you would want to open the position details panel if they click on a position within the org  unit box.  You would then presumably also need to look at disabling the position boxes.  I'm sure the list goes on!

Personally I think this is a very unusual request from the user side.  I would be pushing back with the benefits of being able to choose which branches to expand in order to display just the required data, the speed/cost to deploy vs. the level of customisation required, the flexibility of the existing views, the ability to see dotted line and assistant relationships on positions, etc.  To me those benefits in comparison to the user's clicking to display the positions for an org unit seems heavily biased in favour of using the default functionality.

Note also that ChartBook will produce a PDF export of a branch of the hierarchy which will display all positions within an org unit.  If it is just an occasional report generation for a small group of users this functionality may be sufficient to meet the underlying need.

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks

To be more detailed on the requirement we need the below.

1.       OU box:

Ø  Against OU Box – total number of employees

Ø  Position – custom value ( job attributes)

Ø  Emp Name – Employee attributes (one field to be added)

As the standard is not meeting the above requirement we are going for custom change.

I will enable chart book and will update you, any quick guide on how to set up chart book I have chart books ticked for all 3 hierarchies in admin console but the node is not getting expanded to configure general settings.

Thanks

Rag

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rag.

Employee head count is available in one of the analytics views (Views > Org Unit Hierarchy > Analytics > FTE).  So I would certainly use that as my starting point for getting the number of employees in an org unit.  I might even use that as the default view if the users did not require other org unit fields.

For the additional position and employee information my personal preference would be to put these into one (or more) position views rather than into an org unit view - see previous for my reasoning why.

For ChartBook, try Admin Console > Application-Wide Settings > Print / Export Preferences.  There's a section on ChartBook options in there that may be what you are after.  If you want to customise the ChartBook template, that is best done in the front end, save the template and then import it into AdminConsole as a new template and set it as the default template (in the print/export preferences section).

Regards,

Stephen.

former_member206624
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

i have enabled Chartbook and Analytics functionalities , working on the OU and Postion boxes to get the additional fields.

Also able to upload the zip files in admin console, will update you my progress.

Thanks

Rag

Answers (0)