cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have a requirement of building min 25 Balanced Scorecards with around 1000 KPIs.

Each Context has 25 to 50 KPIs which source comes from Entry & Approval, BW and BPC.

How many models should be created in the PAS server for Entry & Approval, BW and BPC.

What are the performance Issues need to consider while designing one model for all Entry & Approval.

Coming to BW KPI's comes from different queries, how to design the no of models.

One Context is assigned to one model. What if the measure which is in other model is required?

How do we design the one context who's data come from different sources like E&A, BW and BPC.

I am familiar with designing  1 model which is used for one context.

Please can you help me with the design.

Thanking you,

Regards

Vinay.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vinay

A single PAS model can have data that is loaded from mutiple sources so there is no problem using a single model.

Each context can only be connected to a single model for the scorecard so you will need to do this if, as you say, each context has KPIs that have data from the 3 sources you mention. It is very normal for Targets to be loaded by E&A and Actuals to come from structured systems so nothing unusual there at all.

Each model can hold up to 10,000 measures/variables and each KPI requires 5 (_ACT, _TAR, _TARDEV, _TRD, _TRDDEV). This means that the base requirement for your 1000 KPIs is 5,000 measures/variables leaving 5,000 to cover any non-KPI measures that may be combined as component metrics that are used to calculate your Actuals or Targets. Performance of PAS should not be an issue unless you have a vast amount of data. Unless you really need multiple models (and from what you tell us this does not appear to be the case) then stick with one.

In the event that you do need more than one model and you find that the data for one (or more) KPI is in the 'wrong' model then you can copy data from one model to another so that a single model has all the data for the KPIs in that Context.

For E&A and BW you just go about loading the data in the normal way so that the models are populated from those sources. For BPC if you are using SSM 10.0 or 10.1 then you typically use FIM and the methods are described in the FIM Supplement for SSM which you can find amongst the documentation for FIM.

Regards

Colin Cooper

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Colin,

Thanks for trying to help me. I have created a Model using BICA and loaded the BW Query (actuals) into it and Model name JUICE1PBI. Now I want to the target data to be loaded from entry & approval. So created another model JUICE1_MM and tried to load the E&A data, but ended up with error screen.

Please can you help me with the steps in loading the BW and E&A data into the same model.

As per my knowledge there are 2 ways to load the data from BICA, E&A and CubeBuilder.

One loading the data from the cubeBuilder and modifying the content in PAS and then running some procedures. The Other creating the model in BICA and loading the actual from BW and then loading the targets from Entry & Approval.

Please can you guide me with steps after loading the BW data in to the model want to load the E&A 's target data. but dimension is blank when trying to create the measure sets.

Thanking you,

Regards

Vinay Chakravarthy.

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vinay,

You need to create a second model connection to the same model which you are populating via BICA for the E&A to use. This second connection is for the MMADMIN - see section 8 of the install guide.

Once you have done this you can go to the Entry & Approval area of the Admin screens and configure the relevant periods and metrics that you will load via E&A. The next step is to create the relevant metric sets to collect/hold the data ready for you to release, populate and load.

You can use BICA and E&A together or you can use CubeBuilder and E&A but not the three together! Given that you have data in BW you are using  you can forget CubeBuilder. In either case you can create procedures and create measures manually to do what ever you need. If circumstances require it you can create the cube using BICA then create all the dimensions and measures manually and then load data via BICA.

Regards

Colin 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinjay,

Did you create a new model for Entry and Approval or a new model connection i.e. JUICE1PBI?

You do not need to create a new model for Entry & APproval. You can use JUICE1PBI and in BICA ensure that the Target metric is set to "Create New" instead of a measure from BW.

Please try this and post screenshots of the errors that you are experiencing.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Zimkhita

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I am having problems building the model from BICA, I created a database in PAS JUICE1PBI,  then created a model JUICE1PBI_BI to load BW data and loaded successfully. Now I want to load the data from Entry & Approval so that my actual data comes from BW and target data comes from Entry & Approval. So I have created a model JUICE1PBI_MM and gave USER= MMADMIN MODEL=JUICE1PBI . So in the left side model connections now I have JUICE1PBI_MM for E&A and JUICE1PBI_BI for BW. As you said while creating the measures Actual is BW measure and Target is set to "Create New". When trying to create the measure for E&A I am getting the error.

My aim is to load a KPI with actual data from BW and target from E&A.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please share the exact error that you are gtting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Zimkhita Buwa,

Thank you for the reply and for helping me to resolve the issue.

This is the error screen which I am getting when trying to create the measure set for Entry & Approval.

Thanking you,

Regards

Vinay.

rodolfo_bermudezneubauer3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Vinay,

If what you're trying to accomplish is proof-of-concept for a model with actuals from BW and target values from E&A, you shouldn't have two models. You should use BICA to initially create the model (_BI) and then connect that model to E&A and other sources. No need for the _MM model. In PAS you will find the metrics created by BICA as per the Key Figure names in you BEx query. Here (PAS) you will need to create the five variables needed for each KPI (_ACT, _TAR, _TARDEV, etc). Create the Actual as a Virtual metric related to the associated BW metric. For example, assuming a monthly KPI dimensioned by country you should have something like this:

create var MYFIRSTKPI_ACT 'My First KPI-Actual' by COUNTRY as MY_BW_KEY_FIG_ACT

Create Target as a basic metric:

create var monthly MYFIRSTKPI_TAR 'My First KPI-Target' by COUNTRY

This second metric will be used directly for E&A.

A few key pointers for this scenario and BICA integration in general:

- This single model should be able to support 25+ contexts with 25-50 KPIs each.

- Try to keep the number of KPIs in each context under 100! That's already quite a lot to manage!

- Base Model should be initially created by BICA (name ending in _BI). BICA and E&A share this model.

- Key Figure names in BEx queries are very important and a naming convention is advised (ie "BW" prefix and according metric suffix (i.e. _ACTUAL or _TARGET). Example: Key figure described as "BW EBITDA USD ACTUAL" in BEx, will be created in PAS as "BW_EBITDA_USD_ACTUAL"

- Dimensions should also be created through BICA first, so E&A will use the same member values as BW. It is recommended to activate Hierarchies for all BW Dimensions so you can control the description of the output and totals nodes.

- All "Free Characteristics" in your BEx query will be imported into PAS as Dimensions so be very careful with what you include in your query. No point in including detailed analysis characteristics (Doc Number, Material?, etc) which don't make much sense in PAS/SSM.

- The most detailed Time Characteristic in the BEX Query will define the Periodicity of all the associated metrics in PAS.

- Metrics loaded through E&A must be manually added to the CONSOLINFO document in PAS.  The BW-sourced metrics are automatically added by BICA!

hope this helps!

Regards