cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Design Spec - Payroll Interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to develop a functional spec for a payroll interface. I have created many FDS in SAP Payroll; but I have not worked alot with interfaces and or design a functionl spec for a payroll interface. Can someone with this expertise advise where I can obtain a reliable template that will guide me in developing a FDS for a payroll interface? I want to ensure I include all the appropriate specifics that the ABAP team will need to develop this payroll interface. What are the components that I should hi-lite / call out in the FDS?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member235056
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Trina,

Functional specs are company specific document.

They must cover following sections:

1. Version Control and Stakeholders -

Technical and Functional Stakeholder details and version whenver it was changed and what were changes done.

2. Business process -

What is business requirement for the report or interface.

3. Business rules -

Business provided rules on how report should run to find data and whther there are specific rules on running report or interface and different other rules to include what type of data and any specific table mapping to be done for it to run successfully.

4. Layout -

Field names, source of field in SAP, data type of field whether character or numeric, postion on file and its length for display on report or file, logic if there is no direct mapping for field source under different columns for a field in table format.

5. Sample file output layout -

Sample output of report or file from client system

6. Technical Details -

File output format whether text file or excel fileor report format whether ALV or list format, transaction code, program name, frequency of report/interface run, developer questions, etc.

7. Test Script -

Test cases to be run for unit and regression testing.

8. Final Sign off -

Sign off from client and other Stakeholders involved in requirement gathering, design, testing and delivery at both sides of table.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Ameet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ameet,,

Again thanks for the reply. I do have and understand the sections that should be included in the spec. My challenge is figuring out how to address specifically a payroll interface. Do you have a sample to share with me? An outline specifically to a FDS for a payroll interface?

Thanks,