cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication error when creating EPM Add-in connection with SAP BO Enterprise connection type

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, Experts,

I have a problem with creation of EPM Add-in connection when SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise connection type is selected.
An error message is "Error while communicating with the server. Framework message: Authorization failed."

Here are the steps that were implemented and how this issue was reproduced:

1. SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 10.0 SP12 for Microsoft was installed and configured.
  2. Integration between SAP BPC and SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.1 SP02 was implemented. SAP BO users can successfully connect to SAP BPC system.
  3. EPM connector was successfully installed and deployed in SAP BusinessObjects BI server.
  4. BPC ODBO 2.0 SP04 64BIT was installed in SAP BusinessObjects server.
  5. EPM connection was successfully created in SAP BusinessObjects CMC.
  6. EPM Add-in and BPC ODBO 2.0 SP04 32BIT was installed in another computer (let's call it CLIENT) which has MS Office 2007 32BIT installed.
  7. From CLIENT computer we have launched Excel manually and successfully created BPC connection with Connection Type - Local.
  8. Then we have logged into BI Launch Pad and launched New / EPM document (Excel). Excel has started.
    1. In EPM Add-in we have pressed Logon.
    2. In connection window selected SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise connection type.
    3. An error "Error while communicating with the server. Framework message: Authorization failed." appears.
    4. Before this error appears we are not getting any window where we could select EPM connection (created in CMC) nor the possibility to enter username or password.

Looking forward you valuable comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Donatas Budrys

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

Please check this note 1512256 - DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED error appears in InfoView when
configuring PCM to a BusinessObjects Enterprise server
, the troubleshooting steps are the same from EPM add-in since the security schema is relatively the same.

Best Regards,

Hamda.

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, experts,

Any ideas or suggestion on this issue?

Best regards,

Donatas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing the exact same issue as you. With the help of fiddler I noticed that EPM addin tries to call the Logon method in /sap/bpc/app/CommonService/CmsLogonService.asmx but it passes empty login name and password!!!! This is the problem. When I modified the call in fiddler with the correct user name and password then I got a proper response from BPC server. I suppose it is some kind of bug.

Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear John,

Did you find a solution to this problem? We are facing a similar issue with EPM add-in...

Kind regards,

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias,

I am afraid not. I have even tried EPM addin sp 20 but with the same results.

Below is the soap message epm addin creates when you select connection type 'SAP BusinessObject Enterprise' (it doesn't even give you the chance to give credentials)!!!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><Logon xmlns="http://sap.com/SAP.POA.CmsLogonService/CmsLogonService"><UserName /><Password /></Logon></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

As you can see username and password are empty!!!!!!

In our case we are using BOE authentication in BPC 10 MS.

Kind Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear John,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry to hear that the problem hasn't been resolved. 'm struggling with an EPM issue myself, I'll keep you posted in case I find something.

Kind regards,

Matthias

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

verify that your user has the rights for the model you're trying to reach, see please note 1991773 - EPM Add-in: Authorization Failed when creating Local connection

Regards

Roberto

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear, Roberto,

Our user has Full Access to all BPC tasks and it is administrator in BI system.

Also we can successfully connect with the same user using Connection type "Local".

We had done some investigation and in the BPC SQL Server trace log we can catch the following message when an error occurs:

==============[System Error Tracing]==============

[System  Name] : BPCXMLAService [Message Type] : ErrorMessage [Job Name]    : ValidateUser [DateTime]    : 04/23/2014 10:58:06 [UserId]      : [Exception]    DetailMsg  : {System.Exception: Invalid user    at SAP.BPC.Services.Webservice.XMLAService.XMLAService.ValidateUser()} ==============[System Error Tracing  End ]==============

It is very interesting that after the EPM workbook is launched via BI Launch Pad till an error occurs we are NOT provided with possibility to enter any username and password. So the EPM add-in should use the same user which was logged into BI Launch Pad - in our case the user with administrative rights both in BI Launch Pad and BPC systems. Am I missing anything?

Looking forward your feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Donatas

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

if you have followed the epm installation guide I can only suggest these notes about bpc and bi?

1799540 - SAP BusinessObjects EPM Solutions Connection Manager (Plugin)

1709467 - Trouble shooting BPC ODBO / XMLA issues

1654565 - Configuring BPC XMLA web service for P&C 10 MS (Win auth) with the attached pdf file,

otherwise you should ask directly to SAP.

Regards

Roberto

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Roberto, for your help and feedback.

I have checked all these SAP Notes but unfortunately none of those had helped me to solve my issue.

More ideas?

Thank you.

Donatas