Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the proper way to add extra fields in existing ztables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement add one field to existing costum table after all existing fields,So any one can suggest me which is the better way for adding fields in ztable through append or direct.

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pradeep,

You do not need an append as this is a Z table. You can directly add this field. Since this is going to be at the bottom, I am assuming this is not a Key field. So you do not have to worry about uniqueness or index etc.

Thanks,

Vikram.M

former_member194739
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Pradeep,

append not required for custom(z) table. add extra fields and adjust database(SE14). That is enough.

Regards,

Abbas.

vikas_mulay2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Pradeep,

You can directly add the field to the custom table.

After a field is added do not forget to adjust the Table using SE14.

Also if Table maintainance generator is used in the Custom Table then deleted the Existing table maintainance generator and recreate a new table maintainance generator..This will ensure that your changes for new field will be reflected in SM30 also.

Reagrds,

Vikas

0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

Already i added that field using append structure,So now i have need fill data in that table already there 3 existing fields are there if i fill data then what is procedure for that.

can u help me for that.

Thanks.

anubhab
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

As this is a custom table, as said earlier by others, you need to just add that one field at last. After adding the field and saving it in SE11, please remember to adjust it in SE14, or else sometimes it may give some error. And also, if you have table maintenance for it, regenerate it to avoid any problem in SE30 in future.

After transporting to production also, check once for any inconsistency and if needed, adjust in SE14.

Regards,

Anubhab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anubhab,

How i can find a table maintenance for a existing table.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Table Maintenance path:

Open the table in SE11->Utilities->click on Table Maintenance Generator.

If no table maintenance defined then you can add the new field then activate/Adjust the Database in SE14.

Regards,

Sudeesh Soni

anubhab
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

As suggested by Sudeesh Kumar Soni, open you table in SE11->Utilities->Table Maintenance Generator. If any TMG exist, you'll be able to see it. If it doesn't and you don't feel the necessity of filling up this by SM30 (as TMG is needed to enable user to fill the table or change the entries manually), you need not to generate the TMG. Also check if any TMG exist, if it is standard one or has been modified. You can check for the Function Group in the TMG for any customization.

After everything is done, it's always a good practice to adjust the table via SE14. So that you won't face any problem regarding data inconsistencies or activation error.

Hope this gives you an idea to proceed with.

Regards,

Anubhab

0 Kudos

Dear Pradeep,

Please find the following link to find TMG for Table

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Simple u have to add the extra field in the end of the table.

Dont add in between any fields in the table.

Regards,

Satyen Trivedi

satyabrata_sahoo3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Its very simple when its custom table. Take help from peers/colleagues.

- Add field by editing the table

- Adjust the Table using SE14

- Update the Table maintenance generator

-Satya

0 Kudos

Hi Satyabrata Bhai,

I have regenarated that table maintanance generator,So can you help me for how i can fill data in ztable.there already three fields data availabe while i added one new field i am getting to see in TMG old three field and new one also.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Go to SM30.

Give the table name.

Click on Maintain.

Add value to the new field.

else by ABAP program you can update values.

0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

Go to SM30 and open your Ztable in maintenance option. Now hopefully you'll be able to see the entries and the new field at last. Enter desired values in that field and just save. Now you can check, for the entries you updated, in SE16.

Just a question, are you going to always enter the values manually or are you using some program to do this?

Regards,

Anubhab

0 Kudos

No i have to fill by manually,Just my doubt is when i fill in sm30->newentries then i can fill that time i have fill dtata only new which was i added or combine of all field i have to fill.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

If you are adding an entry to the table, you need to fill all the columns. In case of existing entries, you just need to fill the newly added field. You need to modify newly added field row wise.

Regards,

Anubhab

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very basic question. Please research before posting. This site is not a replacement for training/reading tutorials etc.