Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do Parellel processing for report pgms

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a requirement to speed up the run time for a thousand line report. I have applied Package size 1000 then it is produced an output within 14 hours. Before it was taking 24 hours. The requirement is to get the output less than an hour. I heard about Parellel Processing and want to apply that in a report program.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi toby,

Before thinking in parallel processing, you should take time to check your selections and where the report is taking more time.

Just a few hints:

- when selecting, try to use key field (or create/use index);

- Read from internal table with binary search

- (...)

At the end, parallel processing can help you, but only if you can divide your report in tasks that can be executed simultaneously (eg., selections). In my modest opinion, the overall structure of the report can lead to more significant performance gains.

Take care,

Ricardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toby ,

Parallel Processing works in ABAP. 

Please check the following posts

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1884700 and

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3271539.

If you have to select data from huge number of records, I suggest a few things for quick access.

1.Consider creation of index.Run a trace and see what index is being used by SAP.

2.For Searching, obviously you would be already using a lot of key fields  still use binary search.

3. Use Open SQL. Its faster than Native SQL.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I doubt parallel processing alone would give you that kind of performance boost. This seems like "throwing hardware at a software problem". You might want to look into analyzing the program in more detail and considering a design change. Or invest in HANA maybe?

P.S. There is also a special space for Performance, although it doesn't seem too popular.

Abhijit74
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tom,

There are two standard example and performance wise this parallel process method is the best possible one.  Please go through the below standard programs.

SPTA_PARA_DEMO_1                     Simple parallelization (without individual task dependence)

SPTA_PARA_TEST_1                       Parallelization and RFC interface test program.

Additionally you can refer to my document .

Please let me know if you have any difficulties .

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit

Message was edited by: Abhijit Mandal