cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity evaluation for internal and external workers in one work center

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Normally in all Industries you have internal manpower to execute work. Say I have a work center named "Mechanical" , I will have 5 people working 8 Hrs for 5 days in a week. We usually configure this in capacity tab of work center for capacity category "002-Labour".  In scheduling tab we configure sceduling data for a capacity category "002-labour"

In many industries , depending on load, many time, external labours are hired to give assistance to internal workers. Technically it is like adding one more capacity category "PER-Person" and adding number external labours there and in scheduling tab adding required configuration for "PER" capacity category

Total capacity for any given day would be available capacity in capacity category -002 + available capacity in PER capacity category.

However in scheduling Tab , scheduling basis can be either 002/PER.

How can we add more scheduling basis to refer to more than one capacity category ?

Any other alternative to above problem statement?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case of hiring people from vendor, either separate work center will be created & will be used with PM01 control key or it will be taken as service with PM02 / PM03 control keys.

Scheduling is based on capacity category which is major. If you take the example of Production Work center, they may have 001 (Machines) & 002 (Labors). But scheduling will be done based on 001 only.

If you want to make specific capacity as a base for scheduling in work center, then you need to mention that category in Work center scheduling tab. Otherwise, you no need to mention any details but by having control key scheduling configuration, system will do the scheduling by considering all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

let us say, you have a work "Pump repair" which is done partly by internal workers say 2 people and 1 external labour. Let us assume the number of people in 002-labour is 2 (internal ) and  capacity in capacity category (PER) which is external work center is 3 (Total 5 ).

Now if I I leave scheduling basis as blank, then system will calculate scheduling based on 002 capacity category as it is "Major" . But I want system to consider both 002 and +PER .

You are suggesting two line items "Pump Repair internal" and give 2 numbers and duration as 8  control key PM01 . Create another operation "Pump repair External" use control key PM02 (where in scheduling is enabled)  where 1 number - 8 Hrs duration is maintained with another work center.

If I maintain 2 different work centers and two different operations, this will work. But for customer this is just one work and capacity evaluation should be based on capacity category 002 and PER .

How to solve this by maintaining one work center , two capacity categories in same work center  and maintaining one control key PM01 in operation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To understand the concept of scheduling basis.....

If you have more than one capacity in one work center, there should be only one capacity category which is base for scheduling. As mentioned in previous post, if you have machines & labors, then machine is the base for scheduling. Even though, manpower is available but machine is not available, order should not be scheduled for that time.

Your requirement is different.

Have you tried below:

1. Mention both 002 & PER category in same work center
  2. Keep scheduling tab without entering any data
  3. Mention that work center in PM order & do the scheduling
  4. Update whether you find any difference in scheduling different than your expectations.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mahesh..

I tried it in past , it was testing it only for 002. I will test it again and post my observations again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Refer below link..

Capacity categories in work center | SCN

You can't have scheduling with 2 different capacity categories. You can have only one.

So, option would be creating 2 different work centers with 1 capacity category each or adding the new capacity details in existing capacity category or following external service process.