cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the one altruistic thing you could do this week?

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Each year in a certain religious calendar people give things up for "Lent" (festival).  Many children give up chocolate or sweets, adults might give up alcohol or coffee or something that they really enjoy (perhaps even SCN!!).

Why do we do this?  Could I be feisty and suggest that many use the festival of Lent to diet !  Some do this to test their will power and a smaller amount of people do this as a sacrifice.

So I gave up a few things during the 40 day period and to be honest, it was from a dietary perspective that I did it  (and it worked!) I mentioned this to a lady and she simply asked what I could have done from an altruistic perspective instead!

Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others. It is a traditional virtue in many cultures and a core aspect of various religious traditions and secular worldviews, though the concept of "others" toward whom concern should be directed can vary among cultures and religions. Altruism or selflessness is the opposite of selfishness.

That got me thinking.....

What's the one thing you might be able to do this week that would make a difference to your fellow man and the act should be selfless!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In some cultures (mine as an example) the principle is not of "self-effacing" or abstinence but rather

"The highest aim in the economy of society and of creation is self-assertion in the service of all. Not egoism which feeds self at the expense of others, nor Altruism which effaces self while thinking of others, but mutualism as implied in the words, "Love thy neighbor as thyself," (source ALTRUISM )

In short: Service.

But if we were to be self effacing.....what if the service was to do service without direct acknowlegement.  Examples would be anonymous donations, And this one (expecially for 😞 Providing quality content, help, advice without points or badges

Former Member
0 Kudos

We dont need a festival for that. We just need a platform for it - it will fly on it's own steam.

It is much the same as mothers day... and womens day... and working moms day... 

Cheers,

Julius

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why don't be awareness and altruistic all the year? Why don't love people and care about them all the year? Some times I think that special time like "Lent" is to small amount off awarness. Let us be awareness and altruistic and selflessness all the time 🙂

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rafal, sometimes to change anyone's behaviour you are best to start with something small and specific and aim for a target. Then if the change is a positive one it becomes the norm, then you tackle the next and the next and so on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right, "sometimes" ;-). I note, however, that often after 40 days sacrifices people return to routine mindlessness and feel good about it. I think that only simple daily mindfulness gives something permanent. It was nice talking with you Gill 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gill,

I think that making more of effort to recycle is something we could do; it is something I started working on. I read recently that many people who are very conscientous about paper recycling don't think to recycle small or torn pieces of paper.

http://www.earth911.com/food/study-recycle-damaged-goods/

I realized that I could be removing paper labels from empty food cans before putting the can in the dishwasher and adding those labels to my recycling, and the sugar or artificial sweetener paper packets that many of us unthinkingly discard could also be recycled easily. It's just a matter of getting into the new habit.The other side, remembering to buy products made from recycled supplies, is also important and easily overlooked.

Cheers,

Gretchen

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gretchen Lindquist wrote:

and the sugar or artificial sweetener paper packets that many of us unthinkingly discard could also be recycled easily.

At home I frequently reuse them as a cat toy. My cat usually comes running as soon as he hears me shaking a Splenda packet.

There was a great idea in the April issue of Family Fun magazine - make a "monster" from two brown paper bags. The monster "eats" all paper scraps and when it's full, just recycle the whole thing. (Was trying to find a picture link, but the web filter in the office won't let me.)

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would give-up the use of plastic (if it was practically possible)!

pk

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow - that would be a great challenge!!!

Even thinking about it makes me feel the need to go and get a coffee!

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

kishan P wrote:

I would give-up the use of plastic (if it was practically possible)!

I'd gladly join that too (and wish everyone else could as well), but as a minimum I could bring my own shopping bag even to the stores where you get an annoyed look from a cashier (and possibly people in line behind you) when you do that. Baby steps!

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

but as a minimum I could bring my own shopping bag even to the stores where you get an annoyed look from a cashier (and possibly people in line behind you) when you do that. Baby steps!

I do that too. And I get the same nasty look from the cashier.... like I asked for a pound of his/her flesh!!!

pk

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do cashiers not like you bringing your own shopping bags?  It's not like they are loosing revenue in doing that?

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gill Leo wrote:

Why do cashiers not like you bringing your own shopping bags?

I guess it probably "breaks the flow" for them - instead of just opening another plastic bag they have to get your bag and situate it on the stand. Then those bags also usually don't want to stand steadily, adding to the delay (hence the looks from the people in line). Most of the time I offer to bag myself, but some checkout points are just not very well designed for that.

There could also be an element of "oh lookie here, we got ourselves one of 'em hippie tree-huggers; our bags are not good enough for them".

But I don't get why this is actually not encouraged more by the business owners - my bag usually fits as much as 3 store's plastic bags, so it'd be at least 10 cent cost saving (if not more). Even if you don't offer a discount for bringing a bag, at least train the employees not to frown upon them.

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah shops should encourage you to bring your own!  They charge in the Republic of Ireland for a plastic bag (.22cent per bag) and it has started in Northern Ireland also. It's a great way to save the planet as we really do get lazy with plastic bags...

I know a pal of mine has a range of different earth friendly recycling shopping bags - and the reason she has a number of them is that they match different outfits 🙂

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, in Germany you need to pay for the bags in the convience stores and there is no bagging service in most of the stores. Also you can buy bags made out of recycled paper or fabric like cotton etc. So at least here you won't get looked at strange. ^^

In fashion stores it's something else, but you can say, that you put the new stuff in the bags you're already carrying.

I saw in Starbucks, that when you buy a travel mug/to-do thingy and get your coffee filled in there every time instead of using a paper cup from them, you save like 50 cents. So that's nice IMO.

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A 50 cent saving is pretty good for bringing your own cup!

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think so, too. For Starbucks regulars this is a pretty good deal. It has to be a Starbucks travel mug of course, but you'll get the ROI pretty quick, if you go there often. At least it's a start.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

At risk of sounding like a parrot, I have to agree with everything you said.

It really does break the flow for the cashiers and that's evident from the fact that even when you volunteer to "bag it", they don't feel comfortable.

Back in India, they have started charging the consumers for plastic bags. And to be honest, it's a win-win situation for all parties involved. So that's a good precedent to bring your own bags. I guess they should start that practice here too!

pk

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi Warnecke wrote:

In fashion stores it's something else, but you can say, that you put the new stuff in the bags you're already carrying.

Yep, and I buy a pair of socks from an expensive store and then put the stuff from the cheap stores in that bag.

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, but just if you are lucky enough to live near one of them... 100 km west of your position there is no Starbucks available

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Probably because they are all here. I know of 4 Starbucks in Frankfurt, 2 of them 100 meters apart.

gleo_SRAM
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

...and do you ever return the socks but keep the bag