cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Crystal Report data to the Excel Print Headers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.  I am trying to do something with Excel headers that is a little more advanced than the usual.  I have multiple reports that are designed to export to Excel.  Normally I only export a report header.  However, I have a customer who wants a label to appear in each page header and footer in Excel. Here is the catch - they want the label to appear in the Excel print header and footer, not just on the main excel page.  The label contains an SBU marking, so there is a requirement that it gets printed on every page.

If you are not familiar with the print header, it is a separate section of an Excel document that appears when you print the excel document.  For this operation, I don't think I can use the built-in Crystal Export options.  I have tried to Export to Microsoft Excel and I can send the page header and footer to the Excel data sheet, but not to the print header/footer. 

Thanks for your help!

- David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the label complex (logo and/or multiple objects) or is it just a single field/formula?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The label is simple, just some text.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case, it boils down to excel automation after the export. In my Crystal automation software, I do similar things, including controlling the Print Setup properties (e.g., Header & Footer margins) of the exported excel workbook.

If you restrict yourself to just one of the 6 positions (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT X HEADER/FOOTER) this should be doable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.  I will be running the reports from BOE InfoView.  Are you able to control the Excel automatication from the InfoView export?  Ideally this would be a one-step operation for the users, i.e. they would export the report, and the excel automation would be run for them.

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I haven't worked with Excel's headers and footers but you are correct that Crystal can't export to those sections.  I have though had to make modifications to an Excel file after exporting and I believe you will need to do something similar to what I did.

After I exported the report to Excel, I had a program I wrote that opened the Excel file and modified it.  In my case I just had to encrypt it, zip it up and email it.  You may need to do something as well outside of Crystal and Excel.  Crystal doesn't export to an Excel template so automating it in Excel wouldn't work.

Good luck,

Brian