cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison between split Adapter in Seeburger and EDI Separator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Currently we are designing EDI interfaces using B2B Add-On.

I am trying to compare the split Adapter of Seeburger and EDI Separator of B2B Add-on.

In Seeburger Splitter configuration:

The additional split configuration helps to map the Sender ID, (EDIType,Transaction,Version) combination to split channel and sender agreement.

I believe a List of Sender Id, Mappings (Standard, Transaction, Version) combinations can be added to the same Split channel and Sender Agreements.

In B2B Add-On:

The sender ids , EDI details are directly mentioned in the channel and it is bound to sender agreement.

Does it reduce the flexibility in EDI Scenarios.Is that a correct point of view?

Your inputs highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sudharshan N A

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

piyush_gakhar
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Sudarshan,

EDI Seperator is just like internal component within PI. It is not an adapter (unlike File, AS2, JDBC etc.) that communicates to the external systems and applications.

It ensures good monitoring and also helps preserving your messages. In case there is any problem in the incoming message or in your sender channel, still message can flow and reside in your PI system otherwise it may lead to a message loss (as sender channel directly rejects it) that can't be visible in monitoring.

It is completely flexible as defining parameters in sender channels can help reusing ICOs based on message definitions independent of partner but still can be monitored based on Partner or Directory Name by the monitoring modules provided with B2B Add-On. This way you can reduce no. of ICOs required to process same message definition for different partners.

The message that will be received by EDI Seperator receiver channel can be any supported B2B message types. It automatically detects the message type, splits it if required and pass on to the configured EDI Seperator sender channel for further processing.

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

I agree that the EDI separator resides as a PI component and process the messages.

But what I observed is loss of few handy features.

For example-

If I have a File to EDI Separator Receiver as the first scenario and enable Adapter Specific identifiers in the File Channel, it is not carried over to the next scenario.

Dynamic configuration of the File Sender is overwritten with EDI Separator Dynamic Configuration and unable to do any additional routing/processing based on those parameters.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sudharshan N A

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sudharshan,

yes, I would say that this is a correct point/observation. When the Seeburger Adapters were introduced many years ago, one focus was put on the flexibility by keeping all functionality related to the "format conversion" (Classifier/Bic/Splitter) completely separated from the "data transmission" functionality directly in the channel.

This way, the format conversion modules could be included in any adapter that was running on the AdapterEngine and not just to the See-Adapters.

In a typical setup on client side, almost all inbound channels were using the "AUTO" functionality to detect all required parameters to select the right Split-Channel...so all channels had the same module-chains included (no matter if it was an AS2-Channel or a simple FILE/FTP-channel.

This also allowed for easy reprocessing of any received file (via AS2, X400 , OFTP or else....) by just putting the file again to a file-channel with the same module-chain parameters.

Kind Regards

Stefan

Btw... I am not very familiar with the B2B AddOn, but if you have additional questions regarding the Seeburger-EDI-Adapters, feel free to ask...