Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ILM - New requirement

former_member84399
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

My client is decommissioning their SAP Landscape (ERP EHP6, Portal, SRM) as they will not be using SAP any more (migrating to other software). They are keeping SAP BW/BI/BPC though.  I have been reading about ILM and how this can help my client have read only access to data in the future through BW queries without the need of keeping legacy SAP systems.

However, from what I have read so far, it looks like that the Retention Warehouse is part of SAP ERP and my client wants to decommission their ERP system. If we need to keep the ERP system to have ILM, we are not saving much in running costs, licenses, etc. We might as well keep the ERP system intact without implementing ILM. It is a medium size ERP system (200G).  our ERP is used mainly for FI/CO

Any thoughts please?

Regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

From the information shared

You have ERP 6.0 EHP6 with 200GB size. It does not look for me a very old system for which decommissioning is required.

1) Does the customer need data to be reviewed once the system is decommissioned ?

2) What is the extact reason behind decomissioning ?

3) Please be aware that SAP ILM requires license which may be additional cost overhead.

If the system is not so critical, you may take 2 sets of offline backup and preserve it.

Additionally you may have a small size server where you can restore this backup and keep the system read-only for audit and legal purpose.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member84399
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak, thank you for your reply. To answer your questions:

My client will stop using SAP software for their ERP system. As of April 2015, they will use Agresso ERP. In the coming year, there is going to be a big migration project to that Agresso software. After the migration is completed, the SAP ERP system is to be shut down but they want to keep the data for audit/legal requirements for a considerable length of time ( at least 6, maybe more years). The data might need to be reviewed in the future from auditors or legal people.  The offline backup solution and/or keep the system offline/online in a hardware carry certain risks that my client's management are not comfortable with.

So, I was looking for ILM. From what I have read so far, one ILM component is installed in the Legacy ERP system to facilitate with the arciving of data. Not sure where the Retention Warehouse is running though. My worry is that I would need a new ERP system to have the RW installed there? Or have I got it wrong?

Many thanks

Andreas

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

For RW you will need additional ERP system + license for ILM.

You may migrate this ERP system to new low end server. Keep this database read only

Many customers go with this approach. This will save some cost on high end server while you still have old data maintained with you.

You may keep this DB and application down to save on power and resource requirements, Make it up only when required.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member84399
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Deepak,

Keeping the ERP system down and bring it up when needed is certainly an option to be considered, I have to investigate with my client's SAP account manager the financial aspect of it. I mean that at the moment we have an ERP license covering us for thousants of users and I do not know what level of charging SAP will apply for us if we have the system down and bring it up on demand with only a handful of key users accessing the system.

The cost of this has to be compared with the cost of a new SAP ERP ILM license plus the cost for SAP certified external storage from a 3rd party provider or SAP Integrated Database store plus ILM project costs (at the moment, we do not even have archiving in our ERP system)

I have the feeling that the first option will be much cheaper. Please let me know if you have any input on this.

Many thanks

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you choose to power down a system and power it back up only when you need it, you run a great risk if the system does not power up correctly.  Then what do you do if you need the data for an audit or other legal reason?  A company could face steep fines if they are unable to produce data in a reasonable amount of time.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Nico1966
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I have implemented a SAP system decommissioning scenario using NON SAP software successfully.
Maybe this is usefull to investigate? Please check:  https://www.pbs-software.com/en/products/decommissioning/detailview/product/ecs/index.html