Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total number of users on SCN

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Recently one of my .NET colleague asked me about total number of users registered in SCN community. I tried to find but couldnot get it.

So, kindly help me to find these sort of numerical data in the SCN community/Space/Sub-space.

Regards

Saurabh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Because of SAP data privacy guidelines and European privacy laws we no longer report total number of members. And aligned with some of the comments listed here, many "registrants" signed up, but never took any action.

What we now report is unique monthly visitors, of which there are about 2 million per month. This includes those who sign in and those who do not.

We need to update wikipedia.

Jeanne

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For even a better number the number of active contributors(as defined by SAP) on SCN on the old platform was 2000 out of two million accounts.  That's probably not a number I would want to share regardless of data privacy laws.

Take care,

Stephen

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

As for contributors (members with >/= 2 points) there were 236,000 as of 12/31/2013.

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Active contributors under the old system was 250 points in twelve month period.  I didn't realize that active contributor measure has been lowered to next to nothing.  Can you share an equivalent mesaure how many people have hit 125 points in the last year?

That's more apple to apple comparison.  I'm using 125 as since the points reduced for blogging contributions 40 vs 10 initial would make a difference in overall contribution totals.

Take care,

Stephen

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

How does it matter?

Does SCN benefit if some one registers and does nothing? Does this type of member benefit? Do other members benefit from this type of member joining / registering?

This no. is similar to the no. of friends in Facebook or if i may dare, the no. of followers in SCN.

It might be same as how many SAP books one has bought but never read.

It is not registration but engagement that matters...actively giving and taking! That can be done as a member of SCN or non-member.

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks TW !

I got many valuable opinions on it.

Closing the thread.

Regards

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi - There are some figures quoted in the Wikipedia article about SCN: SAP Community Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

OK. But what if I want to get it within SCN via some navigation path? Wikipedia data can be an editable one also.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You'll notice a source was quoted for the Wikipedia article with reference provided.  The data is outdated, however.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What about Browse > people > sort descending

a user who just registered today and has still zero points is shown with rank 518742nd

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If SCN itself says registered user 518742 and 2.5 million SCN users according to forbes...

Which data to trust?

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are a lot of visitors who don't register an account, but are just reading. So they probably count, too. ^^

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Honestly, such numbers do not give me anything, except a smile when thinking about Hari and how much he still could follow

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

If its about reading then one discussion may have 2000 views (reading) . It doesn't mean 2000 users. If its true then Google has to think of new UOM after surpassing Trillion .

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a way of just counting different users/visitors.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jurgen,

about Hari and how much he still could follow

Ha ha...witty, creative co-relation of this topic with Hari's exceptional action/strategy!

Added: if one wants to be famous...then this is a tried and tested strategy. He is still remembers and talked about.

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - added in blue

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tampering with the URL parameters, it seems we have just under 833K registered users as of right now (you might have to increase the start-count if you come here later, was 832885 when this was posted):

http://scn.sap.com/people?sortKey=all~dateJoinedAsc&sortOrder=1&start=832885

Thomas

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I managed a video shop we started with a member number somewhere between 2000 and 3000 so that the competitors could not know how much member we had.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Smart and naughty

The 300K difference to your figure is probably because so many share last place with 0 points.

Still no 2,5 million though...

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP took inspiration from your idea and introduced number range concept.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After getting his account blocked is he again on SCN with new user and new determination for following every possible SCN user?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know, people attract my attention with extraordinary content and behavior (postive and negative) and I haven't seen something similar recently (just want to add that it was not the FOLLOWING which led to the end)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MoazzaM,

Liked the way you put it...new determination

Do you suspect someone / some case?

Since ages there have been some individuals whose actions do not seem understandable to the larger society but some of these individuals have later been recognized and admired for their "eccentricity" and genius!

new determination for following every possible SCN user

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

There is some user who has strange habit of rating every question in SD forum. I saw a lot of time that user has asked question and within 10 minutes some user rated that one or two star silently and Jelena Perfiljeva is witness to this. We can't identify the user who is rating so it is hard to say who it is but I have some suspects in my mind which I can't share here

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

It could be a moderator.

He won't reject straight away as he would give it fair chance by waiting for abuse report.

He won't have time to comment on every question about its quality.

He can silently express his harmless opinion by giving low ratings.

Disclaimer: I do not visit SD forum.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish

Its not happening in every low quality content only. I notices it in some good value added questions as well but I didn't think it the way you did

Thank$

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's not a moderator and I believe the SD moderators already know who that person is. I'm still not sure though what posessed that person to do this and what they were trying to achieve. Very weird.

As for the member count - perhaps the registered members would be more accurate figure. I'm probably double-counted among those 2+ mil. when I browse SCN in Firefox without signing in (for better performance and no annoying ads).

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

May be Lakshmipathi G or Jyoti Prakash could comment on this.

I never saw any add on SCN with or without logging in. Is there any adds in SCN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes there are ads, pretty pesky ones on right side.

I order to notice them, you should not be using ad blocking tools

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am also using IE9 and didnt see any add. May I never noticed. Now I'll see if there is any add here. In my PC I use chrome and there is no add there as well May be these adds are country specific or region specific or something like that?

Thank$

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

You guessed it: the ads are region/country specific.

--Audrey

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Audrey. This logic applies on Google adds and on other sites as well. Today I saw an add first time in my SCN but it vanished after I logging.

Thank$