cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with the timestamp under Agentry application during fetch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am running the standard SAPWM 5.3 application on my local standalone agentry server.

Everytime I reset my client and connect to the server by starting the transmission, I see that the timestamp being sent to many BAPIs in the ECC is blank.

For e.g., while starting the transmission, the timestamp being sent for "Functional Locations" fetch comes as blank.

because of this, no filter is applied while fetching the data from ECC and it comes up with picking around 45000 records.

However, in the next subsequent transmissions, the timestamp is sent to the ECC. So it usually happens when the client is reset and run.

Is this a known issue? Is there anything we can do to overcome this?

Appreciate your help on the same.

Best,

Arihant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Arihant,

This is the expected and desired behavior.  When the client first connects to the backend it has no data and no definitions loaded.  Consequently there is no last update date since it has never synchronized before.  Therefore, the first sync must download everything (i.e. no filter).

As you noted, subsequent transmits will send the date/time of the last update so that the Complex Tables can only download what has changed since the last time the device was updated.  This reduces the amount of data required to be sent since the majority has not changed.

If you at some point then reset the client the next transmit will need to start from scratch and load everything again since you have removed all the data.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Bill and Sravanthi for your helpful answers.

Also, I wanted to know what role does a timestamp play in the SAPWM application.

Suppose, there is an object (say, equipment, which can be assigned to 2 different users in 2 different work orders at the same time) which is being edited by two users.

When the users transmit this data back to ECC, does the ECC consider the update based on the timestamp which came along with the request?

Which user would be able to update the ECC if they both start transmitting at the same time?

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There are couple ways to look at it. Mainly  date and time stamp is used by   exchange  objects to handle delta changes. Going by your example of  editing  equipment changes by  different users on different  Work orders. if change pointers are enabled for equipment object than any changes made to that  equipment objects are recorded in SAP.  It is more of  how your SAP applicaition works and configured than mobile application. Mobile applicaiton will be using BAPI's to make such master data changes and  you may have to implement error handling to manage any  locking issues etc . 

If Standard BAPI have field  holders to capture  date and time when you create or update an object, you can pass client date and time to it.

On the side note  master data changes like Equipment changes are not suppported in Work Manager application..

Thanks

Manju.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sravanthi_polu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In agentry.ini file configure the work manager server to SAP timezone.

Here iam posting the content i found in one of the work manager documents,hope it may help.

Procedure Overview

This procedure describes how to configure the Work Manager Server to use the time zone in which the

SAP system resides. Date and time values from the client are converted from their local time zones to

those of the SAP system based on these settings by the Work Manager Server when such values are

updated to the SAP system. Conversely, date and time values are converted from the SAP system’s time

zone to the client’s time zone when being downloaded to the client by the Work Manager Server.

RESTRICTION: Though not a common occurrence, operating system manufacturers occasionally change

the name used by that operating system for a given time zone via a service pack or patch update

to that system. When such a change occurs, the settings discussed in this procedure may need to

be updated accordingly, should one of the configured time zone names or time zone aliases be

affected.

TIP: Daylight Savings Time (DST) is respected in these conversions. Keep in mind that certain time zones

do not respect DST and others may have different start and end dates concerning the observance

of DST. Therefore, converting from one time zone to another where such differences in DST

observance exist can result in correct, but otherwise unexpected values.

Procedure

1. Open the Agentry.ini file found in the directory the Work Manager Server was installed in.

2. Navigate to the [Java-1] section of the file and set the following attribute to the time zone that the

SAP system is set to:timeZoneName=SAP’s Time Zone Name

Example: SAP Server Time Zone is: W. Europe Standard Time

Set timeZoneName As:

timeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time

Note: The time zone name value must match the time zone value on the OS of the SAP server

exactly. The time zone setting can be found in the SAP sever’s registry setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

Note: The “Current time zone” equivalent time zone name can also be used. For example, “Eastern

Standard Time” can be used instead of Eastern Time Zone.

3. Conditional Step: If the mobile devices in an implementation have a different name for a time zone

from the one used by the operating system for the same time zone, one or more time zone aliases

must be created. Add one entry for each potential time zone in which client devices may be used to

the [TimeZoneAlias] section of the Agentry.ini file in the format client time zone

name=server time zone name. For example:

[TimeZoneAlias]

Central European Summer Time=W. Europe Standard Time

Where Central European Summer Time is the name the client device reports as its time zone and

W. Europe Standard Time is the name the operating system of the Work Manager Server’s host

system uses for the same time zone. Multiple entries can be added to this section if client devices are

used in multiple time zones within the same implementation.

Note: The time zone aliases are used to reconcile the time zone name the client reports it is in, which

may be different from the name used by the Work Manager Server. It is from the client’s time

zone to the SAP system’s time to which the date and time values are converted. For this

reason, the Work Manager Server must know how a time zone is identified by the client device,

thus the need for the time zone aliases. This is especially true for client devices running a

different operating system from the Work Manager Server’s host system, but can also be

necessary even when both are the same operating system family (i.e., Windows Mobile client

device and Windows Server for Work Manager Server system).

Regards,

Sravanthi Polu