cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using E-Commerce (ISA) B2B From CRM5.0 with CRM7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We've been running the E-Commerce B2B Java (ISA) from CRM 5.0 for many years. It is heavily customised.

We do not have the last SP that was released but are quite a bit behind that. This is essentially because upgrading the Java once it is customised is such a lot of work.

Now we want to upgrade our CRM to CRM 7 (probably EHP 2).

Is the old ISA (Java B2B from CRM 5.0) supported in CRM7, do the RFC's still exist, do the BAdI's (ISA Basket Head/Item etc) still exist?

1) Can we just direct our B2B shop to the new CRM 7 server once we're done with the upgrade?

Unless BAPI's/RFC's have had their signatures modified (or have been removed) I think that this should work.

2) Will this work but only if we have the latest Java SP?

Obviously we'd prefer to just point what we have at the new CRM7 machine, and be up and running, since updating the Java means reintegrating all of the modifications that we've made over the last 6 years and that would be a substantial amount of work.

Thanks for your time and help,

Patrick.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I was in the same situation a few months ago. Although there is no clear upgrade path defined (or at least I could not find it) it is possible to remain on ISA with CRM 7 and ehp2.

some things you need to consider.

1. On ISA 5 you are running on NW7.0 and you will have to upgrade that to NW7.31. This means that you will move from JDK 1.4 to JDK6.

2. You will then need to upgrade from ISA  5.0 to ISA 7.32 and then go through the migration process from jdk 1.4 projects to jdk6 projects.

Please reply back if you need a more detailed upgrade procedure.

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep, thanks for the reply.

Had you done much customising to the ISA5.0 code? There's barely a JSP that we haven't heavily modified and we've overwritten a good bunch of the Java classes too.

An upgrade of the ISA means starting with a completely fresh, standard application as far as I know. Am I correct?

We've been modifying this application for close to 6 years at this point; the thought of starting from scratch and integrating our modifications line by line doesn't make me very happy.

Is ISA7.32 essentially the same, but updated, application as ISA5.0? What I mean is do we still have order.jsp and ncontract_change.jsp etc executing the same, but updated, Java classes on the J2EE engine? Is it even still a J2EE app with JSP's executing Java actions?

Do the ISA BAdI's (the basket head/item BAdI's etc) still execute? Are the BAPI's called by the J2EE app mostly the same? Like, for example, the Get Contract Refs BAPI that gets contract item references for the catalog, is that still there, being used (albeit perhaps updated)?

As much info as you can give me would be greatly appreciated, Pradeep.

Thanks for your help,

P.

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Yes, we had huge customizations on almost all the JSPs you mention above as well as close to 300+ additional java classes and as well as many modified standard SAP java code. All these over many many years of development.

ISA7.32 is no different from ISA 5.0 technically except that it runs on JDK6. Functionally there are a few extra features like Loyalty Management.

The biggest hurdle we had was about the changed signature of methods of standard Java classes and some classes even deleted from packages in the newer version. Any custom java classes using these classes/methods had to be adjusted.

With similar/more enhancements to what you mention above, upgrading the entire codebase to the newer version took us around 60 days of effort including the fresh setup right from the SLD upto the new J2EE engine and doing the code conflict merge.

The approach we took was to take all JSPs from the 5.0 version and overwrite the 7.32 version (as it would not make much sense to rewrite them) and for the Java/XML files we did a compare and merge approach.

Regarding the backend RFC calls, most of them remain same in the order/basket area. I had noticed some changes in the contract items piece where there were now additional import/export parameter and some were even not optional forcing us to send some dummy values where necessary.

However, if you are using the variant configuration functionality in ISA you will be in surprise. The old ISA 5.0 IPC configuration will not work in 7.32. The newer version has something called as a decoupled mode (for performance reasons) and we had some challenges in that area to get the entire IPC working well. However if you use IPC only for the pricing bit, not much to worry as it remains mostly same.

PS: We were running a B2C scenario and not B2B. B2C is much more complicated.

Hope this helps.

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you very much for the info. It's essentially as I'd feared, an update is a lot of work... start with fresh SAP and integrate years of changes. Can you tell me how many developers you had working on the integration? I'm the sole Java programmer here.

So you kept the old 5.0 JSP's? I hadn't considered that, I'd thought to integrate our changes to JSP's just like integrating the Java/XML changes; though I'd feared that the JSP's would be very, very different (more so than the Java changes).

We use IPC only for pricing so it's good to hear what you said about that and ours is the B2B scenario. I'd always considered the B2B to be more complicated than B2C, what with contracts and quotations rather than just orders...

Again, Pradeep, thank you very much for the info you've given me. It's been very helpful,

P.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

We are in a similar situation. Can you please let me know if you got the answer to your above query?

Thanks

Harshmeet

mark_foley
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please also see

Regards

Mark

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Patrick.

Please have a look the note:

1583830 - Overview on maintenance cycles for SAP Web Channel components

Denis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis, thanks.

I read through the note and those connected.

They seem to contain conflicting info. They speak about ERP 6, which I'll assume they mean ECC, no mention of CRM specifically... they say, at some points, that ISA5 cannot connect to ERP6 but then at another point say that they can be connected but that functionality will be limited.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive info from SAP about this case, upgrading CRM from 5 to 7 when you use the ISA Web Shop.

Thanks for your time,

P.