cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystl32.ocx - VB6 - No license - Help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have VB4 application that is using Crystl16.ocx.

I was recently asked to make a small modification to it.

I don't have the original PC it was created/compiled on nor do I have any of the installation CD's.

I've managed to convert the VB4 application to VB6 on a WinXP machine.

I've found the 32-bit versions of most of the OCX's except for one which happens to be Crystl16.ocx.

I contacted SAP to ask if I can purchase a version of Crystal Reports that has Crystl32.ocx to no avail which really surprised me.

All that being said, I simply want to make a small change to the application WITHOUT having to re-do anything in Crystal Reports.

Is there anywhere that I can get Crystl32.ocx -- that will compile without giving me errors because I don't have a valid license for it?

If I understand correctly, the OCX was shipped up until version 8.5 or something close to that?

Thanks.  Ciao.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While you are correct that the OCX shipped up to CR 8.5, you don't appear to know (or forgot to mention) what version of the OCX you are actually looking for(?).

The app being VB 4 the OCX could have been from CR 4 and higher (up to 8.5). Once you know that, you will have to do a lot of sleuthing, perhaps sacrifice a chicken and hope to find the correct one for download somewhere out there in the internet land. SAP does not sell out of support versions of CR - with one exception - namely CR XI R2 (v. 11.5), which does you no good anyhow.

I may be able to get you CR 8.5 SP 6, but it will do you no good, unless the version of the CR runtime that your app is looking for is actually 8.5.x. E.g.; if your app is based on version 7 or 5 of CR or something like that, SP 6 for CR 8.5 will  be no good to you.

Plus, I'd potentially be helping you break licensing - even if for an out of support product...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Sorry for the late reply.

It's an old VB4 app that was using Crystl16.ocx (version 1.0 I think).

I managed to get the program to convert and compile under VB6.  I had replaced Crystly16.ocx with a 32-bit version that I found on the internet.  It was Crystl32.ocx -- I think it was version 5.2.

It seems to me that it complained about a license in the error log.  I assume that it was due to Crystl32.ocx.

Thanks.  Ciao.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

Pain, pain, pain LOL

E.g.; Wow these things are still out there - amazing

Unfortunately, no way for me to help out. Version 5 is close to 20 years ago(!). Most likely why sales cannot help too. We've been through like 4 takeovers in those years and things just get archived / lost / deleted... Even if we would find it somewhere, I doubt it would work on any OS newer than Win 3.1 (maybe XP, maybe...). E.g.; according to this: Windows XP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , WIN XP released in August 2001. Version 5 of CR released in 1997(?).

I suspect your best option is to not even touch the app. Don't fix what ain't broke . And if you do need to modify anything, go with VS .NET and the CR SDK for that. (or CR for Eclipse - Java SDK). Yeah, that will mean recreating the app from scratch...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Do you have ANY version of the 32-bit OCX?  Don't worry about whether you think it'll work or not -- I need to exhaust all possibilities, period.

It's not a question of IF I have to change the program or not -- I simply have to do so.

I'm compiling it on an Win XP machine.

This is probably the last time we change it -- we are trying to find a replacement, but in the meantime something has to change in it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm going to get this to work in one way or another...

Ciao.

Answers (0)