Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a personal favourite/ignore user list

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

How about being able to add forum users to a personal favourite / ignore list? Favourites could appear in one colour and blacklisted ones in another.

Much as we'd like to be one big happy family, we all know there are people whose comments you a) make a point of reading or b) others who you'd like to skip over. My problem is that there are so many people that I don't know who's who and the sheer volume means I often only have time to skim through posts. It can get frustrating just to get to a few gems of real knowledge.

Being able to visually identify those I'm most/least interested in would help enormously to filter out the noise.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It would be a nice addition.

Lately there's too much noise in the different forums. I think with this system it should also be able to track changes to usernames (some users change their names when they figure out that they're being ignored).

Another thing which could be included is an ignore words list. I'm inclined not to read topics whith the following words:

- !!!

- URGENT

- containing only on word, like debugging, or PA0001

- need help

We have to acknowledge that it's not possible to make the forum rubbish free, but with tools like this it could be possible to make them kind of invisible.

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I second that. For myself, if I had to choose, I would actually put the ignore list with the highest priority, because there are people with similar (user) names and I don't trust my memory

The forum can be great, the challenge is to avoid the fate of similar UseNet groups which ended up being split in moderated and unmoderated groups.

Another idea, instead of or in addition to a favourite & not-so-favourite users list would be something similar to what is done at Experts Exchange (which I admittedly don't visit regularly any more).

Starting a thread subtracts from your points, while being rewarded, as today, or simply visiting the forums add to your account. Of course not as much for visiting as for helping someone, but those points are at least free. That would be an effective stop mechanism for "spammers" and encourage people to check previously answered questions as it would not cost them anything.

A pet peeve of mine is I prefer people to post under their real name, not the name of the main character in their favourite movie.

Kilhavn, Kjetil Kilhavn - shaken & disturbed