cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First day in New company, How you felt !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Lets have a interesting discussion on how you felt when you joined new company. It might be first or second or third company.

but some interesting thing would have happened for sure .

Keep sharing your Experience ,.,.,

Regards,

J.Sakthikumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Back when I studied ABAP in Canada in an intensive 6 week campus experience:      Computer Training | Lambton College - Connect  I was so awed by my instructor and I  thought: "I'd love to do this but I don't know if I would ever know enough...."

A few years later, when I was asked to teach the ABAP language for SAP,  I remember sitting at my desk and thinking: "Wow, I would love to teach ABAP but how would I ever be able to know as much as my wonderful instructors".

After a few months of observing excellent and more senior SAP instructors I realized that not only would I, a new instructor, learn from them, but I would, if I kept my eyes and ears and mind open, also learn a great deal from my students.

When I stopped thinking I needed to be a "sage on stage" and began enjoying the opportunity to be a "guide on the side", I really started loving the work in the classroom.  Instead of starting each day worried about "knowing enough", I prepped each class with the understanding that I would learn as much as I would teach and I would provide value to my students or encourage them to request refund or transfer. Instead I was privileged to receive good reviews and commendations from the 3,000 + students I worked with in my 6 years of SAP Training.

Fear isn't a useful instructor or guide. It generally blocks us from having a productive and interesting life.  Fear of "not being good enough" seems to be a very common feeling that humans share, across cultures, age, gender.

I found this little piece very useful:

A Guide to Beating the Fears That Are Holding You Back : zenhabits

Thanks for reminding me what it felt like when I began teaching ABAP for SAP.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Marilyn, this is excellent.  I constantly struggle myself with the fear of "not being good enough."  Cato is credited with writing "Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise."  I especially like your linked article.

In a similar vein, as many of my wiser guides in life and career have said, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good," and "Don't mistake activity for progress."

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marilyn,

Your experience is really an eye opener to everyone reads it, Really Experience of everyone is a lesson to be learned from others and tonic for the next step in their life !!!

Regards,

J.Sakthikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wowwww Marilyn.

Your experience was really interesting to read and inspiring as well.

Thanks a lot for this post.

Regards

Hariprassad.K

Answers (26)

Answers (26)

Former Member
0 Kudos

my first day i will never forget i couldn't even really sleep the night before and kept waking up thinking i over slept when i got there i was nervous anxious and excited i kept getting these mixed feeling and then i was introduced to the team members and a brief tour. i was asked to join about three meetings the first day where i pretty much sat and listened. i was then introduced again to other co workers who were very reserved and then were asking questions about my past experiences it was very much mixed feeling because i felt like they were trying to judge me when the day was over i couldn't be glad enough now i bin there 4 yrs and i love every thing about it i try to welcome everyone new like they were a guest at my house because i no exactly how they feel i still have co workers thanking me the way i made them feel at there first day

so just make every new comer feel good and show them around it wont kill you and some where down the road they will return the favor trust me

thanxx

Aman

Former Member
0 Kudos

catch points?

amol_samte
Contributor
0 Kudos

I was surrounded by fake experienced people....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sleepy and looking for a coffee machine. Every time, whether it was a new company or new project when I was a freelancer.

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After 11 years on my previous company (IT consultancy company), 1st Feb I started a new job as internal IT (SAP Developer and solution architect) in a new company I never heard about.

It's pretty....strange.

As consultant I got deadline so strict and tight I usually worked from 10 hours each day (that was one of the biggest motivation i got in changing ) just to keep up with normal AMS.

Here timing seems to me even relaxed (instead they are human) and sometime i'm bored (thanks SCN to save me!).

It's a pretty strange situation here: i'm the only one with tech background on SAP and this magically transform me in "the man who can solve ANYTHING" from printers to profiling, from developments to setting up a new plant.

I'm still astonished and trying to find my real role here

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Simone,

In such companies you are like a skeleton key.

You are the one which cap you wear.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But this has its pros: learning a tons of new things

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you.

You are very lucky.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simone Milesi wrote:

As consultant I got deadline so strict and tight I usually worked from 10 hours each day

Or, in non-consultant-speak - ridiculously unrealistic.

It's a pretty strange situation here: i'm the only one with tech background on SAP and this magically transform me in "the man who can solve ANYTHING"

Pretty much my role for the last ten years. "Does anyone know anything about XYZ? No? Give it to Matt".

I'm still astonished and trying to find my real role here

That's easy. You're "the man who can solve ANYTHING".

My work life for this particular client has been varied and interesting as a result. As well as, at times, stretching. I appreciate my boss for quickly figuring out how best to use my skills an abilities in such a way as her requirements are met, and I'm never bored.

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Or, in non-consultant-speak - ridiculously unrealistic.

Uh right! I'm no more a consultant so i can say it!

That's easy. You're "the man who can solve ANYTHING".

Dumb me! You are right! How couldn't I figure it out?!

My work life for this particular client has been varied and interesting as a result. As well as, at times, stretching. I appreciate my boss for quickly figuring out how best to use my skills an abilities in such a way as her requirements are met, and I'm never bored.

Here SAP is pretty new (less than 2 years) and not yet implemented on all plants so, it's a "magic and mysterious box" and this is, to be honest, one of points interested me when i got a couple of offers to evaluate.

Silly me, I never thought this also mean that none know enough to figure out how I can be useful!

But I'll work it out, in a way or another!

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I remember, the first time I switched jobs, the interviewer asked me "what do you want to be five years from now?", and I said "In five years from now I want people to say, 'if we cant figure it out, lets ask Benedict, he will surely figure it out"......its 7 years since that and I can proudly say that I positively getting there

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What you are both describing, Simone and Matt, is exactly my experience as well. Including functional things like "How do I apply for extended leave?" or "How come I'm out of budget?" Ummm, when did those become Basis questions?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"You're out of budget because you spent £xM asking some consultancy to answer the question, instead of me!"

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With the variant: "You are out of budget because you ignored my alerts and suggestions just to follow the well-know-big-name consultant's company ones"

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So cynical for one so young.

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After 11 years as consultant named to fix well-know-big-name's disasters? It's not being cynical, it's being realist

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was talking about me...

(not really)

SimoneMilesi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do not worry, we all know you are not young anymore

shashank_a_naik
Participant
0 Kudos

I was like... How do I login to this thing?

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So then you found SCN and posted your first question. "How do I login to SAP". 😉

Former Member
0 Kudos

Than I have used veto power Alert Moderator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Extremely Nervous

0 Kudos

Hi ,

For me , SAP is the first company to work..

So , it was my first day in Professional  life .

As a College student then , was much more worried about Professional life.

Its no more student life , to take things in simple manner..

But things turn out different..

Met new colleagues, who became best friends later ..

and during the lunch time , i was introduced to  my team ( CRM team ).

And got surprised seeing the people in my team , just like the college students with lot of enthusiasm, energy , passion and ready to help kind .

These gave me confidence, inspiration  to work .. felt got the chance to work with Amazing people..

And apart from team people, we had interaction with HR team , in helping some of the official things ..

Got huge support from HR team .

And finally at the end of the day.. we had campus visit..

Seeing the SAP LABS Bangalore Campus , i felt  its just  like college ....

Cricket Ground , Basket Ball Court , TT room , Gym and Recreation room and Much more..

i was much more impressed seeing  all these..

It's always first impression , first meet and first day that will be remembered a lot..

So , till now ..SAP never made me  miss my college life ..

I work like never before,

I play like never before,

I enjoy like Never before,

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I wanto share not from the first day but the thing that I remember always.

I was a developer  when my company decided to implement an ERP system and aggreed with SAP.

My manager asked me whether I can be the System Admin of those SAP System Landscape.

I agreed on becoming the BASIS of the company. With 4 of our colleagues from other parts of IT we were the selected BASIS team.

Our SAP systems platform was AS400. And I did not have any experience on this platform. The expert of AS400 was one of the other guy from the selected team.

At the beginning of the project we were trying to install SAP on AS400 machines with our consultant. If there was any stop start of OS or OS operations need, AS400 expert was doing the work as expected. Out consultant was not experienced about this either.

At one of the weekend, since I was curious about installations etc, I wanted to go to office and work (Read documents, follow instructions, install sthg etc.)

When I got to the office I saw that AS400 machine (model was 520 or sthg like that) was down. I tried to push to power button but there was no response. I understood that AS400 machine is not like the machines I know. I could not start it.

So I called my colleague to tell me how to open it. Unfortunately he didnot tell me how to open it. And I returned home with doing nothinng.

I was very upset. He was the only one in the company and thougt that I was going to take his job.

Later those days we were close friends with him and I always remind that day to him.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was like entering into a New world since i was working in the previous company for 4 years.This new company was very huge and i was totally lost and could not figure out the way to the Conference room. Once i entered the room i saw approx 500 candidates seated (they were on time 🙂 ) . I felt a bit lonely since i didnt know anybody over there. During the interview i was recruited for a Dev project but ended up being mapped to a testing project. Even though the timelines given for a tester very less i have enjoyed the journey till date. It has been very interesting , i have made some really good friends and my trip to Canada is unforgettable. Planning to attend some interviews this year. Will come up with another post after joining my NEXT COMPANY.

Sakthi : i thing we worked for the same comp. I joined this comp on June 4 2012.

Regards

Hariprassad.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was disappointing as I found out that only 2-10% of the committed variable pay will be paid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It was a long wait for me as I was jobless for around a year before my first job. There was a sense of achievement and excitement. Of course not to forget my colleagues were extremely warm in welcoming me. Overall it was a thrilling experience.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was 30 minutes late for my interview bad move number one. Second and final interview 20 minutes late, bad enough, but on the day I started was an hour late due to some poor guy being run over (I did think he was terribly inconsiderate picking my starting day to be run over!).

Worse thing was, they held back all of the new starters because I was late! Quite a few hiring managers that were waiting for their new starters were not best pleased at all.

Then got lost after being given bad directions to where my manager was seated, but figured after all that the only way was up or to be sacked. Been here four years now and moved from SAP Support to Analyst so guess up was the only way

Having spoken to my hiring manager at the time and they have no recollection of the first day problems just that from day one I added value, so there may have been some merit in all that went wrong as I felt I had to try harder to make up for what had been a bad start.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well this is a story with a "twist"

Having spoken to my hiring manager at the time and they have no recollection of the first day problems just that from day one I added value, so there may have been some merit in all that went wrong as I felt I had to try harder to make up for what had been a bad start.

It could mean a few different things: they really do look beyond human error, are forgiving and regard the value you bring....or they are myopic, ignore timelines and disregard structure. Interestingly, many times much focus is put on the later: timelines, strict adherence to rules, structure.  The tricky thing is when it negatively impacts others.

Sounds like you work in an interesting place, enjoy it and they you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I love my job and where I work

I guess I should have also added that I am fastidious with my timekeeping at work an personally, so to be late at every appointment was like dragging my nails down a blackboard! I really thought that I had blown it each and every time I was late....

I was just trying to possibly highlight that even with what at the time  was the worst possible start at the time, dependant on attitude, (like all things in life I guess) you can turn it around. Still think four years later the poor cyclist could have timed his accident better!

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding to my provocation.  I love that you clarified your own commitment to timekeeping!  I struggle with that myself.  Having integrity to "do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it" has had me "revisit" my own time estimations and be more judicious and thoughtful about how much and how to commit.

I loved your story and your wry humor concerning said cyclist.

Thanks so much for sharing and giving me my dose of "morning inspiration" (yep, its morning in New Jersey).

best,

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

A friend of mine sent his CV to SAP but was turned down because no positions available which match the skills. I got the same BTW.

But a few weeks later he got a call wanting to know why he did not show up for work in Walldorf?!

So he was there by the afternoon and ABAP development in the treasury module was inside the "lucky packet" as a surprise. I worked in a pizzeria for quite a while longer still.

Cheers,

Julius

ps: this was in 2001

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No one can top this 🙂

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could fake-order a pizza to the SAP-headquarters that says something like this in the lid: "All your security measures are in vain. Signed: the spurned pizza-guy" and when their databases are emptied and only hold one last tablespace named "RTFM", then they'll know regret.. 😆

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, that raises the debate whether innovation is spawned by necessity and problems, or whether it is spawned by forward looking ideas for which a market still needs to be created.

It is certainly both and working for a company which enables them and your personal growth is IMO more important than how the first day went. Choose the company wisely and you will be fine.

If it takes too long to get your user ID and password and correct access, then you know that other processes don't work well either.

Your first few days at work are your days. Employers dont remember. Even 6 months are not remembered if you need time to find your feet. Be observant and analytical about it. And as with my friend from the treasury module, try to find out what the contract is and don't mention that you did not sign it. In SAP HCM module everything appears to be ok so use ESS to confirm some outstanding data and table PA0105 and PA0027 to see where the mistake was, and learn, learn, learn...  🙂

Cheers,

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Many employers soon forget how much they invested to get you working for them!

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You know, Julius, that's one of your replies where you completely lost me -_-

How did I invoke that close to philosophical bit with my shallow joke? -.-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually I had Brendon's story more in mind but responded to you.

I only get philosophical once a year, so you will be fine for a while now again.

Sorry for confusion 🙂

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I knew a troll that got philosophical. Turned to stone, in the end. Until someone lit a fire in his mouth.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now I can make sense of your post. Thanks for doing the needful and reverting 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Come on, Come up with your first day experience !!!

Regards,

J.Sakthikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Am really feeling  this thread and the motivating replies on this thread by some really well experienced members useful at this time.( Got to work for a new client )

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I joined my first company as a apprentice-trainee during my final semester at college. We were 40 of us and they split us into two groups, one for SAP and the other for Java training(based on what? no one knew). The first day of the training, the Director in-charge of SAP project walks into the training room and asked each one of us why we were in that training. Everyone was like, "SAP is one of the greatest company"...."I know its going to be very interesting to work in SAP"...."I like SAP a lot". When it was my turn I told him "I am not here by choice, I was asked to report to this training room". On hearing this he laughed out loud and said "the most honest reply I have heard......"

In my second company, the admin people ran into problems with my access badge and I did not have access to walk in or out of the development center for about two weeks. Every time I had to get in or get out I had to tag along with someone(who would usually gave me a suspicious look). It was more embarrassing when I had to use the restrooms which were outside the DC. I was like an elementary student asking permission to p**. I had to ask someone to accompany me to the WC and back.

-Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benedict,

Access card problem is the major issue that everyone faces in their new company.It really frustates new comers to the company.

It make bad impression on their company by first day itself !!!

Regards,

J.Sakthikumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well my starting days in my very first job was quite intresting.

There were around 25-30 people in my batch who joined with me from different locations and we all were fresher and recruited directly from college to a MNC Company through college campus.

For us it was intrsting to see swiping your card to open the gates, free Coffee, Tea, Cold drinks and biscuits, having your own desk, ext., system.

In starting we use to go in groups(of always more than 5-6 people) for coffee or anywhere like college. Once one of the HR guy asked to my batchmate who joined with us if she can come to his desk, to clarify some joining documents and me and one other girl also joined her. and when that HR guy saw all of us coming together, he get confused and said I dont need all of you, then we clarified that we just came to acompany her. First few seconds he just looked us and then said, Am I that scary that you need to acompany her? ... lol . After that  we made sure not to go in groups atleast when going to meet some senior.

Regards,

Jyoti

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've had my first day in a company about 15 times. The most entertaining is when I and a new chap were starting on the same day and we got mixed up. It was a bit embarrassing as they were expecting a fluent German speaker, which I was not.

On another time, they did the usual introductory stuff in the morning, but come afternoon, they didn't really have anything for me to do. No problem, I said, I'll take the afternoon off. So I did.

Usually, all I need to know is

1) Where do I sit?

2) What are my ids and initial passwords?

3) Where's the coffee?

4) Where are the WCs?

5) What do you want me to do?

Especially point 3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For point 3, answer would have been "it's in the corner".

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In last 14 years , it's only one incident I still remember from my job when I was fresher.

I joined a XYZ organization , very first day HR meet me at reception and give me a facility tour, and then taken me to IT department for which i have been recruited.

My to be boss is yet to arrive and I have been handover to a serious looking guys, lets call him Mr.S as soon as HR left , Mr.S starting asking me question like any thing , all types of question and what ever i answer doesn't seems to be satisfying him and every time i am getting a look " you don't know anything"   and who is the idiot who selected you.

In that 30 minutes , I got so frustrated & regretted joining that company.

I worked there for couple of hours and later on realize the reason behind behavior of Mr.S.

Any way its always a new experience joining a new company or client and a very special first day.

Thanks Sakthikumar for starting this thread.

Ritesh

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And what was the reason behind the quiz by Mr. S? ^^

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mr.S assumes he is the only one who have all the knowledge & wisdom on earth. He was the pathetic guy frustrated with every thing and he want every one should look the world same way.

ITS A BAD PLACE TO LIVE

God Bless Him.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos
The most entertaining is when I and a new chap were starting on the same day and we got mixed up

Not only entertaining but relieving as well

Former Member
0 Kudos

My first day at my current job didn't get off to a good start. When I arrived I told the guard who I was and who my manager is. He signed me in, gave me a badge and told me to wait in the the third floor lobby and my new boss would be in soon. I went to the third floor lobby and waited, and waited, and waited. After a half hour a woman came by and asked if I needed help I said I was waiting for my new boss. She said she would go find her. She came back 15 minutes later saying she didn't know where she was. By this time I had been waiting an hour! About 15 minutes later someone from HR takes me to my desk and explains:

That she forgot I was starting and she was working from home. I sat at my desk with no computer or anything waiting another hour until my boss arrived.

Things did get better and I love working here and my boss is great even though she can be a bit forgetful!

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Philip Noah wrote:

I sat at my desk with no computer or anything waiting another hour until my boss arrived.

I had a similar experience with one company when on the first day the office was actually closed due to snow, but no one told me (and since we just moved from Minnesota two inches of snow were not a big deal to me, so I actually went there just to find the empty parking lot). On the next day the manager was an hour late and there was nothing ready for me till at least noon. I guess the lesson learned - just in case bring a magazine on your first day!

abhishek37373
Participant
0 Kudos

My First day wasn't very interesting as i was too nervous joining an IT company (I wasn't from an IT background in my Engineering,which made me more nervous) also i remember the first day the trainers started with SQL statements which all went upon my head but gradually i was able to cope and complete my training with flying colors.Now i am quite okay with ABAP and is about to complete 2 years in my first company..:)

Well i am be too young here to give any lessons but i would surely like to say with true determination we are able to excel in anything life throws at us.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

abhishek37373
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot! ..:)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Still I can remember my first day in office. I have joined my present company 3.6 years before. It was my first company after college. First time I came almost 2162 Km away from my hometown to start my new life. It was a very emotional moment for me .First time I was going to stay alone without my parents in an unknown city. But now I can feel that because of those challenges I have grown as a confident lady from shy new comer. I made new friends & learnt a lot from seniors. I am very much thankful to my first company..

Thanks,

Patralekha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks..:)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think it's natural to feel some tension on the first day of pretty much anything - you don't know the environment yet and are expecting the skeletons to come out of the closet (e.g. the hot mess left by a predecessor, as already mentioned, some nasty coworkers that pretended to be nice for the interview, smelly kitchen, etc.). But I usually just keep my expectations low and "smile and wave".

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

often it is not fun because you realize how many outstanding issues your predecessor has left...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mr.PPIO,

You can share some fun moments happened, just forget about grey time

Regards,

J.sakthikumar

himanshu_gupta13
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Ok let me remind...umm..

very first day.. every body was looking to me like I am senseless/jackass , you know everybody was their experienced professional and I am only fresher.

Many Thanks / Himanshu Gupta

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

very first day.. every body was looking to me like I am senseless/jackass , you know everybody was their experienced professional and I am only fresher.

I'm really happy, I was never met with such behaviour. Maybe I was lucky with my teams, but I had the good fortune of always finding (or getting through the job) at least one senior colleague as a mentor to show me the ropes and they all were/are pretty patient with me and my questions. ^^

First day of a new job... I guess it's like the first day in school: I'm super exited and nervous and afraid I'll give dumb answers to easy questions and maybe won't be able to satisfy all those expectations, the others (and myself) have.

But that's the fear pretty much everybody has. The difference is just, how much you show it and how much that really is true. ^^

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

You are blessed and very lucky to have such colleague's and Pleasant atmoshpere to work.

Regards,

J.Sakthikumar

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I forgot. Because I am working in this organization from last 6.5 years.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you start?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Starting problem !!!!

You know ( the same which we face while starting bikes during winters )