cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS_Data Insight View Data Function Limitation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any limitation to view data of a table using View Data function in Data Insight module in Information Steward. I come across a strange issue with this, the details are explained below.

I am trying to perform Data profiling on table, as part of this I imported table into a Data Insight project. When i tried to view data of a table using View Data function, it is showing blank like (0 from 998987). I am able able to see data in database and even in DS designer too.

Then i created a view on top of this table by selecting all columns and tried to view data, again showed blank. Then i removed some columns in view and tried, now it showed data. The table contains 150 columns, I used around 110 columns in view.

My question here is, is there any limitations in Data Insight for viewing data apart 500 records. Will View Data function consider the number of Rows or the size of data to display the data. If it consider these two, is there any option available in IS to control these two parameters i.e., increase / decrease the size or no of rows.

If anyone come across with this issue, could you please help me if any solutions to fix this.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna Kamurthy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rama,

Can you kindly let me know how can we change the view data size from 500 to some other number.

Thanks

Akash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rama,

In IS 4.2 this limitation is actually stated.

See here: IS_421_user_en.pdf in Related Information section pg 44 which states that:

The software displays only 500 records when you view data from an SAP table. 

Also more details available in section: 2.5.10.2 Limit of 500 records when viewing data from SAP tables.

The software displays only 500 records when you view data from an SAP table.

Views that contain SAP tables have the potential to be quite large, especially when they are joined with other SAP tables. The limit of 500 records when viewing data prevents your computer from hanging or never completing the task because the tables were too large.

In addition to the 500 records limit, you can take steps to enhance performance in the following ways:

● Reduce the size of the file by mapping fields, join conditions, filters, and so on to limit the data in the table to information that you really need.

● Use SAP ABAP-supported functions in forming expressions in views. Using non-supported functions is allowed, but doing so may adversely affect performance.

● Use the View Data filter tools when you view and export data from SAP tables.

With the 500 records limit for viewing SAP table data, there is a potential for no records showing up in the View Data window.

This could happen, for example, when the view contains a child view, the child view contains one or more SAP tables, and a join is set up to join the entire data set.

A message appears at the top of the View Data window that instructs you to export the data to an external source (text file, CSV, or Excel file) to view all of the records.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This is fixed in latest version.

Thanks,

Rama