cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diffrence Between SAP EHS vs EHSM 2.0 vs EHSM 3.0 vs EHSM4.0... ?????

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Can some one expalin me the Basic Diffence betwen the theree ?pros and cons of the same .

Do  clients need to upgradeall the  new versions everytym  EHSM 1.0? EHSM 2.0? EHSM 3.0? EHSM 4.0? EHSM 5.0? and soo onnnnnnn....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please read this thread and all of the comments. You will find useful information there. The short answer to your question is that there is older functionality that is in EH&S (as part of ERP) while the newest releases are found in the Component Extension for SAP EHSM. The 1.0, 2.0, etc. refers to the releases of the component extension with each release adding functionality. Please see the on-line help http://help.sap.com/ehs-comp versus http://help.sap.com/ehs

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member754323
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

as being a beginner in SAP many of the vocs are strange to me. So, maybe there is an answer in "simple words". If I want to fulfill  the german laws to hazardous substances I need a "Management System" for these products.

As a user of these products I have to fill in some of the data of the msds to fill the list of hazardous products and to write the directives or instructions for my colleagues how to handle these products (you know Name, dangers, behaviour for safe work, behaviour in case of accident and first aid).

I was told that EH&S as being part of ERP 6.0 is the adequate tool, EHSM is not. The reason seems to be that EHSM supports the incident managemant and the risk assessment but only a rudimentary part of hazardous substances Management (see above what I mainly have to do).

What do you think?

Is there a comparison between the features of EH&S vs EHSM as a table. So I won´t have to search all the details.

Thanks a lot.

If you´d like a direct answer: Frank.Zimmermann@dus.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

The processes that you need are now met with the component extension for SAP EHS Management.

Look in the on-line help under

component extension for SAP EHS Management -> Risk Assessment -> Chemical health and safety processes ->

The end result you are looking for is this

Creating Safety Instructions - Component Extension for SAP EHS Management - SAP Library

and then you can back up in the menu and see the other processes that get you to this point.

Please also check out my recent post.

http://scn.sap.com/community/ehs-management/blog/2015/02/12/confused-about-what-is-current-or-succes...

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Frank

regarding:

"Is there a comparison between the features of EH&S vs EHSM as a table. So I won´t have to search all the details."

Check http://scn.sap.com/community/ehs-management/blog/2015/02/12/confused-about-what-is-current-or-succes...

I proposed to Mary that such a table is very helpful. What you should simply know:

SAP EHS Classic is quite "old" solution and will get only legal updates and using EnhPacks some "major" quite nice feature. SAP EHS classic is currently closer connected to SAP ERP processes in comparison to the new solution. As Mary explained (or tried to explain): The Component Extension is growing faster and faster. Any year a major release is prepared by SAP containing more and more functionalities. And the functionalities are "consolidated" more and more. E.g. Solution which are related to "SAP Reach and Product COmpliacne Suitze" are migrated to "Component Extension"; check answer of Mary. E.g. Old Environmentla Compliance Solutions developed by TechniData (and now supported by SAP) will more and more be mnigrated to the new solution.

So there is a kind of "overlap" in solution but we can be pretty sure that some "old" functionality will not be migrated (less chance in next 5 years in my opionion). Mainyl anything related to e.g.EHS classic as Safety Data Sheet, Label generation, Dangerous Goods process, SVT etc. will stay in EHS classic. So in many cases it is good choice to use "old" and "new " solution.. This depends mainly on your needs and in which industry yo are acting.

Let us hope that Mary wil extend here document soon to make it more transparent

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to disagree with the statement "SAP EHS classic is currently closer connected to SAP ERP processes in comparison to the new solution". I don't know what is your definition of "closer connected" but the component extension is integrated to ERP. In the incident management application, there is integration to plant maintenance technical objects (can be linked to EHS locations), to MM, to the standard financial cost collectors, HR, business org structure, and more. There are task types that create PM, SM, and QM notifications. Also when those notifications are closed in their native application, there is workflow back to EHSM component extension indicating that they are complete. For chemicals, there is integration from the substance database to push the SDS data into the risk assessment chemical health and safety processes for use in "operational" safety like creating the safety instructions that were asked about above. I could go on, but trust that these are enough examples.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

You are right. It is a matter of definition what "closer connection"/"integration" does mean. Your explanations are correct (and may be will help other consultants).

C.B.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sirisha

only small add on to remarks of Mary:

SAP EHS Management (or more precise EHS classic) is one "software" layer. Component Extension for SAP EHS Management is an additional "software layer" as well as e.g. SAP Product and REACH Compliance Suite.

So a quick answer to your question might be: if the functionality of EHSM 1.0 satisfies the needs of the customer you need not install/update higher version. It is quite good practise to prepare an "upgrade/Update" quite good. But if you start now on "zero" level (no EHSM instaled) then start with EHSM 5.0. Then you have the "full package" of softweare, even if you do not use it 100% and there is no difference in license cost (to my knowledge) related to the versions.

C.B.