cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single cycle count scheduling

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Please help me understand system behavior for a single cycle count plan.

Say I have it set up with an annual estimate of 52,000 and PM to be done weekly, ie a count of every 1000. Shift factors set to 100% and call horizon 0%. I initialize my counter at 100,000. When I schedule my first order, it is set a week out for 6/5 for projected counter reading 101,000. So far so good.

Now technician decides to do the PM work a week early. He confirms the work order today (5/29), and a counter reading of 100,500 is entered. The system responds by scheduling a new order for 6/2 and keeps next projected counter reading at 101,000.

Questions:

1) Why is the next counter reading kept at 101,000 instead of 101,500? Say a bicycle chain needs to be greased every 1000 revolutions of the chain. If I grease the chain after only 500 revolutions, why would the system not schedule the next greasing 1000 revolutions out? (And is there a setting to enable this?!)

2) Why did system pull in the next work order a few days early to 6/2? If I have consumed my 52,000 annual estimate at an accelerated rate, shouldn't all subsequent orders be stretched out (still 52 weeks, divided by 51,500)? (

Thanks,

Vlad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please close this thread.

For any other queries, please open a new thread as this one has very lengthy discussion.

Suggest you to use Helpful answer or Correct answer to mark the replies appropriately instead of just using that as a tool for closing the thread.

People who is searching in the future tend to refer answers which are marked as helpful / answer.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope we had enough discussions & enough explanations have been given.

So, try different scenario from your side & see the results instead of asking us about the results of different scenario.

Based on the results, you can come to some conclusion. Read SAP help about each & every scheduling parameters & other values which are related to Maintenance Plan and scheduling.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per your Screen shot which has been posted June 17, 6.15 PM:

• Your Cycle Frequency in Maintenance Plan is 564
  • Your Counter Annual Estimate is 29, 328. So, Daily estimate is 29, 328 / 365 = 80 (approx).
  • You didn't select "Completion Requirement" selection box.
  • You have run the IP30 scheduling with Interval for Call Objects as 14 days.
  • So, 564 will be covered within 7 - 8 days. As you have started the Plan with "Zero" as Start of Counter reading about a week ago, system has generated order for 19/06/2014.
  • Again yesterday, you updated the reading as 123 & ran IP30 with Interval for Call Objects as 14 days.
  • Next (2nd) order should be generated once the reading reaches 1128. So the difference between 1128 & current reading (123) is 1005.
  • As per the Daily Estimate (80), no. of days to cover 1005 is 13 days (approx).
  • As you scheduled the Order on 16/06/2014 with Interval for Call Object as 14 days, system has generated one more order on 29/06/2014 (No. of days 13 falls below Interval for Call Objects 14)

So system behavior is Correct

If you want to make Order generation only at 564 ST without considering the Annual Estimate, follow the below technique.

• Create New Plan with all other parameters same
  • Create Measuring Point with Annual Estimate with 300
  • Update the Measurement document on weekly basis
  • Schedule the IP30 Background job just one day after Measurement document creation date by keeping Interval for Call objects 7 days in IP30
former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Generating new work order every 564 would be good, but generating a work order 564 ST AFTER the prior order is confirmed would be ideal. In other words, I'm at 800 so I confirm the work order. I want the next work order to be generated at 1364, not at 1128. Is this possible and what you've described above?

Also, can you explain how you derived 300 for the annual estimate?

And please confirm: IP30 will never (and cannot) change planned dates of an existing scheduled work order?

Thanks, Vlad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its rough value (i.e., half of cycle frequency approx). So that, orders will not get generated by considering the Annual estimate.

While confirming 1st Preventive Maintenance Order (generated at 564), create Measurement document with measurement reading as 800. Then run IP10 to see how system behaves.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I will likely attempt this later in the week. Before I do, I wanted to run scheduling one more time with the old data. Before I ran it, I check the Completion Requirement flag and deleted the old order planned for 6/29. Look at screenshot below.

1) An order was scheduled for 6/23 but not for 6/30. Why is this the case? I thought completion requirement flag means that the 6/23 order would only be generated when the 6/19 order is confirmed?

2) Why is the next planned counter for 6/23 set at 687 (564+123)? Why does not the logic of the prior scheduling run prevail, meaning that the call would be at 1128? (But yet the 6/30 scheduled hold is 564 added to the prior 687 planned counter.

And for my understanding of how system works:

3) Per your recent reply, is there any difference if I enter measuring document via IK11 (after confirmation) instead of during IW42 confirmation?

4) If I make IP02 settings changes like updating annual estimate or doing the confirmation requirement flag, do I need to 'restart' the plan or do anything special for changes to take effect, or is running IP30 sufficient?

Former Member
0 Kudos

687 comes by summing up current reading (123) with Cycle frequency (564).

From Current reading 123 to reach 687, it will take 7 days (564 / 80), System considers the date of 16/06/2014 to calculate 23/06/2014.

Whenever you change the Maintenance Plan scheduling parameters or Cycle frequency, Maintenance plan should be restarted to generate the new schedule lines.

And, by changing some data in existing plan & based on system response, we can't predict the system calculation. We can give you the suggestions on how all the parameters should be maintained in Maintenance plan & Measuring Point (in case of Performance based plan) to generate the order in specific way.

As we can't make replica exactly what you made, it will be never possible to give proper advice on system behavior.

If you want to see the calculation behind date calculation, select the particular row in IP10 & click "Calculator" button. There you can see the calculation.

Measurement document should be created while doing TECO of PM order. In TECO pop up, you can find the button as "Create Measurement document".

Refer this blog which has been created by considering your scenario.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I changed the annual estimate to 300 (from 29,328) and restarted the plan. Also increased counter to 229. You can see in screenshot that the next PM was scheduled for 2 years into future 5/4/16. (Disregard call numbers 1-3...these are work orders I manually deleted). So there is some flaw with approach. Please advise.

Also, can you elaborate on the necessity to enter measuring document during TECO? Our counter readings are interfaced from our production system into SAP. The technician doing the order would never have access to the counter reading. So is there any reason why I can't have the interface run nightly instead?

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned already, during Maintenance, because of some test run, some counter might have been consumed.

Even there is no change in counter value, measurement document during TECO only will update the Completion Reading in IP10. Creating Manual Measurement documents or through Integration with Production will not be considered to postpone the next Planned counter based on shift factor.

As there is no link between Manual Measurement document & PM Order completion, system can't recognize that latest reading as Completion reading & it can't plan from there.

Also, insisted you to go with new Maintenance plan with same set of data. Else, click on that marked row & click the calculator. See what is the calculation happened.

Just by seeing IP10 screen shot (without understanding about the other details changes), its not possible to give any kind of solution.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I now understand the TECO and completion reading linkage. Thank you for the explanation.

But please explain: in what scenario would manual or interfaced measurements be of any use? If I'm not entering measurements during TECO, then the system is scheduling every 564 according to my weekly counter cycle. When do manual measurements have their use then?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you don't want to shift the subsequent orders based on Completion reading of Previous order, then either Manual Measurement document (through IK11) or through Production Confirmation integration will work.

Still by having these Measurement documents creation by having integration with Production & just by updating the Measurement documents in PM Order TECO as well will suffice both the requirements like Shifting Subsequent orders as well as Integration of Production.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm still not following. My annual estimate is 29,000 and weekly cycle is 564. Even if I enter an IK11 measurement of 28,000, my system continues to schedule planned work at 564, 1128, 1692, etc. It is clearly not looking at the 28,000 measurement I just entered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

By entering 28000, what exactly you are looking from system??

Maintenance Plan cycle frequency is 524. If you enter 28000 or 1000000...... in IK11, system will generate the order with the same frequency only.

If you marked "Completion Requirement", then order will be created one by one. Else, many no. of orders will be created (Counter Reading / Cycle Frequency).

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I am just trying to understand -- if I am content to have orders scheduled according to the 524 frequency, then what purpose do manual IK11 measurements serve? Exactly what functionality would actually look at the measurements and do something with it? So far, we've only talked about either TECO/completion requirement scheduling that is dependent on entering measurement data during IW42, or scheduling based on the cycle frequency. Other than perhaps initiating or restarting a plan, where you enter initial measurement, when else and why would you enter them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Only by entering the Measurement document in PM Order TECO, will not create PM Orders based on Performance based plan.

Entering Measurement documents through IK11 or Production Integration is necessary to update the current status of the reading.

If you want to shift the Subsequent orders based on Completion reading of previous order, then Measurement document at PM Order TECO will be used. If you don't want to shift based on Completion reading, then only Manual Measurement document in IK11 will help in creating the PM orders based on Performance based plan.

Please read through SAP help about Performance Based plan, use of Measurement document in Scheduling. As measurement document is important one for Performance based plan, you can't avoid it.

Also, putting SAP help here is not possible. Read basics from SAP help & update the thread if you any queries.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I am clear now on measuring docs. One final question to confirm my understanding. Say counter at zero and 564 weekly cycle. System schedules next order on 6/24 at 564.

Scenario #1 using TECO measurement - Tech confirms order and enters measurement of 600. System schedules next order at 1164

Scenario #2 - Interface updates measurement multiple times a day. When Tech is confirming the order, measurement happens to be already at 600. He just confirms, does not enter measurement. System schedules next order at 1164

Do I have this right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scenario 2 is wrong. Even though while doing TECO PM Order, measurement reading value is 600, as it has not been updated through TECO pop up, system will generate the next order at 1128.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A small query...

As per your scenario,

• Created Measuring Point with Annual estimate as 52000
  • Created Maintenance plan with Shift factor for early / late completion as 100 % without any tolerance %, Start of Cycle as 100000. But call horizon should be made as 100 % if you want to generate the order once it reaches the exact reading. If you maintain Call horizon as 0 %, orders will be created immediately. Please refer F1 help of that Call horizon field.
  • As per the settings (except Call horizon), order will be created once reading has reached 101000. Then how did you update the reading in PM order completion as 100500?? Have you done manual call??

Please clarify.

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I do have the 100% shift tolerance and whether I use 0 or 100% call horizon makes no difference. See below. I had a work order scheduled for 6/2 that I confirmed today (6/4) and entered counter difference of 500. So now my total counter reading is 101700. When I run IP30, I see no updates to planned dates (for next 30 days). If I just did the maintenance work today, I don't want to do the PM work again for tomorrow 6/5 (even though the entered 101700 reading is below the 102000 planned counter reading).

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Vlad,

What I think may be a problem is: Have you selected a 100% Shift Factor or a 100% Shift Tolerance ? There is a difference as 100% Tolerance means that no Shifts are executed if the maintenance is completed within the cycle length (in this case, a week)

Can you post a screenshot of your Scheduling Parameters or compare with my post earlier on?

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Shift Factor (I did typo in  my post).

Is there anything special to IW42 confirmation step besides hitting the Tech Completion button and Save?

Should I start completely over? How would I transmit a Word document with all the screenshots for you to review, if you are willing?

Vlad

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

See my response Sebastian with screenshots.

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Vlad,

First thing to accomodate, the Annual Estimate is not anything you "consume", count down or use up. The Annual Estimate is a constant, projected increase of your counter reading over time. In your case, yes, this means that there are 1000 units expected to record each week, and yes, if you start the plan, the first Call (not the next Counter Reading) falls at 101000 units on June 5th.

Now, if you record an additional 500 units today, the follwing happens:

1) The system, taking the Annual Estimate into account, predicts that a potential reading on June 2nd would be 101000 units; a potential reading on June 5th would be 101500 units.

2) Therefore, the date of the next call is brought forward to June 2nd; the subsequent call is calculated from that date, based off the unchanged Annual Estimate - so it should be June 9th, a week after. So the answer to q2) is "no".

The only way that the Annual Estimate itself is adjusted, is if you change your counter master data manually.

As for your first question, I believe you can set the Early Shift Factor on your Maintenance Plan to 100% to ensure the order dates are shifted if you perform works earlier.

Hope this makes it more clear, ask me additional questions if you will

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Sebastian,

I very much appreciate your willingness to help me out. Your answers help explain how the system works although some of this still feels counter intuitive. For example, I just entered another difference counter of 700 bringing my counter reading up to 101200. Now, besides my June 2 plan, the one following that has a call date of May 29. The fact that system would display a past dated call date makes no sense.

But moving on....can you take me through the basic setup where I want to do PM every 1000 units but only at a weekly cadence. It's OK if it takes longer to reach 1000....I can do the PM every 8, 9, 10 days etc. But if the I reach 1000 sooner in say 4 days and I confirm the order, then I would want the next order to be 1000 out....about a week. Are you suggesting that I would need to adjust the Annual Estimate each time to get this just right?

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Vlad,

I'm not really able to replicate what you just described, can you post your Schedule and Scheduling Parameters from IP10 (and maybe the Measurement Documents from IK17)? See the screenshot below for my results. I believe that if you are using the 100% Shift Factors, your requirement should be satisfied (provided that Measurement Documents are being entered regularly)

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I have started again with new plan. See screenshot below for single counter cycle plan. The annual estimate is 29,328 and my goal is to schedule PM weekly about every 564 ST. Initially when I started the plan (about a week ago), my counter reading was at zero and system correctly scheduled the next order a week later on 6/19. Yesterday I updated counter reading of 123 and ran IP30 with 14 day call interval which scheduled the 6/29 order. My questions are:

1) Clear 123 is about 1/5 of the projected 564 weekly reading and nearly a week has elapsed. Is the standard system behavior to:

a) Update the existing work order (6/19) with new planned dates? This did NOT happen.

b) Or is the existing work order dates 'firmed' and any rescheduling would be for subsequent orders?

2) What explains the 6/29 date of the second work order? It seems it is based on the 1128 planned counter reading but shouldn't it be scheduled based on the actual counter reading?

3) Is there any automated way to blow out the work orders and have IP30 recreate them? Or do I need to go into each work order and close it out manually?

4) Does IW42 confirmation have any influence on IP30 scheduling?