SAP for Healthcare Discussions
Foster discussions about patient care, cost reduction, and operational excellence in healthcare organizations using SAP. Join the conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table NLAZ Direct update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to make around 350,000 entries in the table NLAZ.  Uploading these entries via BDC could take 30 days or more to run because the transaction takes a long time to open when there are many entries in the table (3-4 minutes per transaction).

We have created a function module to load the entries in batch mode but this can be problematic as if there are any incorrect entries / duplicates etc the transaction falls over and the whole file needs to be re-loaded.

Is it safe to update the table NLAZ directly (e.g. using SE16 / SM30)?  If we could update the table directly it would be significantly faster and easier to do.

Many thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member198308
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Philip

I have the same issue with table NKIP. When you call the transaction, the system brings all the entries of the table.

On of the solutions i've found is to call the transaccion SM30 with the parameter SHOW_LTD = X.

This makes the transaction to do a initial selection of records. Modify your BDC to select by the primary key, as this is a new entry, the program will not find anything.  Then press "new entry" botton to add the new record. Be aware that you must use the same key.

This is the way I've found to enter the records one by one using SM30.

I hope this helps.

With best regards

Matías

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No its not safe to edit / add any entries directly from SM30 or SE16N ..

It will create many inconsistent.. You should never think of that to update the standard table directly..

Its SAP strongly not recommended to update table directly..

You have to use Functional module to update the table..

Former Member
0 Kudos

PS, I appreciate that the standard advice from SAP is not to update tables directly due to inconsistencies.  However, the maintenance dialogue for this table is similar to SM20, if no entries are created in other tables when using the standard transaction (NCOB) then it would be safe to make direct entries into this table.

Can anyone advise on this?

0 Kudos

Philip Davison wrote:

PS, I appreciate that the standard advice from SAP is not to update tables directly due to inconsistencies.  However, the maintenance dialogue for this table is similar to SM20, if no entries are created in other tables when using the standard transaction (NCOB) then it would be safe to make direct entries into this table.

Can anyone advise on this?

It may look similar, but if you take a look at the logic of screen 2100 in SAPL0N36, you will see a lot of consistency checks that would be bypassed by a direct table manipulation. Even the standard report RNUHCO01 contains a warning about this:

Please note that not all of the plausibility checks that are active for the corresponding Customizing function can be carried out with this report. For this reason, you should only use this report in the test and implementation phase and not in production operation.

From my point of view, if the transaction only takes a long time to open, there are several ways to get around this. You could try to work around the initial loading time - for example by analyzing the performance to see if you can somehow reduce the loading time - or you could use a custom transaction that calls VIEW_MAINTENANCE_SINGLE_ENTRY for V_NLAZ with the pre-set values. This way you would still work with the default maintenance screens and their check logic. You could also try to use a batch process to start the transaction once, then enter 1000 entries and only then save and end the transaction - you probably can't do this with LSMW (althouth I'm not sure about this), but it is definitely possible with ABAP.

Best regards

Volker

0 Kudos

Even though, I'll never suggest to edit the table directly..

There are many internal tables are update with transaction. It will be very dangerous to update the table directly.

To avoid inconsistent, you need to upload this by using LSMW or BDC..

0 Kudos

Thanks I will pass this on to our programmers and hopefully they will be able to modify the program

former_member198308
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Philip

I have the same issue with table NKIP. When you call the transaction, the system brings all the entries of the table.

On of the solutions i've found is to call the transaccion SM30 with the parameter SHOW_LTD = X.

This makes the transaction to do a initial selection of records. Modify your BDC to select by the primary key, as this is a new entry, the program will not find anything.  Then press "new entry" botton to add the new record. Be aware that you must use the same key.

This is the way I've found to enter the records one by one using SM30.

I hope this helps.

With best regards

Matías

0 Kudos

Many thanks, I'll pass this on to our programming team

we also need a method to maintain these entries en mass going forward as the business will likely want to be able to change the data in the tables as business processes become more efficient so any tips on this would be great too!    

0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

I think you haven't tried this program 'IS-H Copy Utility for NLAZ Maintenance' at least it hasn't been mentioned here above. The t-code is S_KK4_96000142.

Go through the documentation of the program, I am sure it will help you.

Cheers,

Alex